+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fairs and food festivals

Fairs and food festivals

When I was growing up, for several years, we lived in Harrisburg, PA. Every summer, my parents would take us to this fair (and I still have great memories - it's where I learned to make my world famous apple butter!):

Kutztown Fairgrounds, Pennsylvania

I've been to this one a number of times with my sister, as it is close to her home. It's a mix between a carnival and an agricultural fair, but it's always fun:

Welcome to the Official Deerfiel

My sister-in-law used to go to this one, every year. She's going to take my niece (who is 2) in another couple of years. Meanwhile, she's invited me to go either this summer or next. I think I'd love it:

2007 Iowa State Fair August 9-19 Sounds Like Fun

This one I've never been to, but I'm determined to talk someone into going with me. I've heard it's spectacular, the very best in New England (as it should be):

The Big E

Here's another one somewhat close to me - it's not really a fair, but it is a qualifying event for the national chili cook-off. Wachusett is a ski-resort, but still, this looks like it could be fun:

Wachusett Mountain - Chilifest

Do you have local fairs or food festivals in the summer/fall that you attend? I'd love to read about them, and perhaps get inspiration. Maybe one day, I can do a local fair tour during the summer and fall! Ending, of course, with local harvest and Thanksgiving type activities someplace warm(ish).
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Re: Fairs and food festivals

We boast the largest county fair in the world. Or so they say. Darke County Fair It's fun, but I mostly go for two reasons. I enjoy walking through the art building. People of all ages draw, paint and photograph their subjects. Then they are judged and left up for everyone to enjoy. There are some seriously talented kids that enter. The second is the food. I'm a sucker for anything fried. I love the fried dill pickles and green tomatoes. Then there is always the Flying Burrito. The restaurant closed, but the lady brings her booth to the fair every year. Best burritos ever! And of course, I can't ever pass up the chicken dinners. You get a thigh, breast and leg with baked beans, potato salad, fresh sliced tomatoes and cucumbers and onions soaked in vinegar.

Dang it Miss Thing! Now I'm all hungry for fair food! I have to wait until the end of August!

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2443413;
    Dang it Miss Thing! Now I'm all hungry for fair food! I have to wait until the end of August!
    First, the largest county fair - now that's worthy of my travel list, for sure! I don't know why I love these things, but I do.

As for the end of August - I've been thinking, since my original post. If I incorporate the southern hemisphere into my travels, I could make touring local fairs and food fests into a full time job. Surely, somewhere, someone needs writeups of these things! And, I'm just the girl for them .
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;2443416;
    First, the largest county fair - now that's worthy of my travel list, for sure! I don't know why I love these things, but I do.

As for the end of August - I've been thinking, since my original post. If I incorporate the southern hemisphere into my travels, I could make touring local fairs and food fests into a full time job. Surely, somewhere, someone needs writeups of these things! And, I'm just the girl for them .

Got room for me to ride shotgun? You had me at....food.

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2443418;
    Got room for me to ride shotgun? You had me at....food.
    Sure. Submit your fair/food festival writeup via PM. I just have to now hit the lottery, and we'll be in business .
    I cater to the Regs!

Great! I love the fair. I was due with my youngest during fair week. I went into labor that morning and wasn't progressing, so we went to the fair! The hospital is right across the street, so that was convenient. We were there for about 4 hours when contractions were coming about 4 minutes apart and I couldn't walk through the pain anymore. I figured if they were going to make me walk the halls of the hospital, I might as well walk around the fair and enjoy myself!

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2443423;
    We were there for about 4 hours when contractions were coming about 4 minutes apart and I couldn't walk through the pain anymore. I figured if they were going to make me walk the halls of the hospital, I might as well walk around the fair and enjoy myself!
    Now, see, this is the spirit! I have a sister-in-law that, at 8 months pregnant, did a sheep-to-sweater competition. You are just the material I'm seeking, .

Go, mega-millions, .
    I cater to the Regs!

Miss Thing - The Deerfield one is awesome!!!! As is the Big E. In the fall you just can't beat the Garlic Festival in Orange. I witnessed a garlic eating contest, got the most incredible garlic cheese and garlic pickles, passed on garlic ice cream, and there are performances and very fine arts and crafts as well. I got two pieces of jewelry. In Ohio, mid summer, the Salt Fork Festival is a sweet one (in Cambridge).
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2443428;
    In Ohio, mid summer, the Salt Fork Festival is a sweet one (in Cambridge).
    Hard (for me) to imagine salt being sweet . However, I take your suggestions to heart.

My schedule is starting to fill up in mid-summer. Now I just need spring/fall items, both hemispheres, and I think I am set.

Of course, I will need a crew. Apply here, .
    I cater to the Regs!

Garlic ice cream? Eek, I'd pass on that too.

I think we have festivals in this state for everything you could possibly think of. This year I've been to the Iris Festival, Striped Bass Festival, and the Lowcountry Shrimp Festival. We also have them for peaches, peanuts, watermelons, chitlins (bleah!)...pretty much anything edible that grows around here.

The State Fair isn't until October, but I can't wait. My sole purpose in going is to eat as many calories as humanly possible.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast