+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fairs and food festivals

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

Re: Fairs and food festivals

I've always wanted to go to the Chuck Wagon Cook-off.

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2444794;
    BoBoFan you are absolutely freakin' nuts if you rode the Big Shot atop the Stratosphere...not only would I say NO but I'd say HELL NO to that!

bbnbama My knees were knocking, my adrenaline was coming outta my head, and I was a nervous wreck when I got off!
    I would think that would be tame though compared to "Xscream" ride & "Insanity" ride. Remember that "Insanity" ride getting stuck, hanging out over the Stratosphere? The "Xscream" ride looks to be the most horrific of the three. The "Big Shot" t'was wild to say the least!

BoBoFan, you couldn't pay me any amount of money to ride that!

I remember last fall being in the Circleville area with classmates of mine and we couldn't believe how congested Circleville was! It took us 1 hr 15 min to get through what normally should have taken 10 minutes to do. Wow!!

MRD

Last night the Food Network's Unwrapped did Fair food.

I'm now ready to hunt down a fair because I am wanting a corndog, some cotton candy and a funnel cake. And maybe one of those Italian sausage and onions sandwiches. And a fried candy bar.

What is it about fair food that makes it taste sooooo good (besides all the grease its all fried in and the TONS of sugar? )

I REALLY want a corndog and I'm not settling for the ones that are in the frozen food section of the grocery!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

MRD - my grocery carries a brand called State Fair Corndogs, and they're... decent, I guess. No, they are not the same as a real fair corndog, but I like the semi-sweet batter and the franks are juicy. In a pinch, they'll do. Also, I am completely addicted to Sonic's corndogs, so if you have a Sonic near you, you can get a temporary fix for a buck. Again, not the same as the real deal fair 'dogs, but a fair substitute, IMO.

We have our Oklahoma State Fair in September, and our Oklahoma City Festival of the Arts in April. They are both so much fun, but the best parts are, of course, the FOOD! Every year I am in a frenzy for the Indian Tacos, the funnel cakes, and the corndogs! Also, the kettle corn and the fried bananas are divine.

Oh man, it's lunchtime and I am now craving Indian Tacos!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I always get a Caramel apple when I go the fair...don't have to get anything else but by George, I'm gonna get me a caramel apple!

I hate peppers and onions but I absolutely love the smell of peppers and onions cooking at the fair!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

In Northeastern New Mexico, on the Santa Fe trail, there is a village called Wagon Mound (pop. 350). Pinto beans were once a major cash crop for the area. Every Labor Day weekend, there is a Bean Day celebration. The whole town comes together. They butcher beef, season and roast it in an underground fire pit along with hundreds of pounds of beans. For the 3-day weekend, they have street races for the kids, a parade, pancake breakfast on Sunday at the firehouse, dance in the high school on Saturday night, a small rodeo. The population quadruples, easily. Recently, they've had hot air balloon demonstrations and a 5K fun run.
    On Monday, everyone gathers in the park and the committee and voluteers serve the cooked beef, beans, chile, coleslaw, etc to all comers for free. It is the epitome of what a small town celebration should be.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by anemone;2448308;
    In Northeastern New Mexico, on the Santa Fe trail, there is a village called Wagon Mound (pop. 350). Pinto beans were once a major cash crop for the area. Every Labor Day weekend, there is a Bean Day celebration. The whole town comes together. They butcher beef, season and roast it in an underground fire pit along with hundreds of pounds of beans. For the 3-day weekend, they have street races for the kids, a parade, pancake breakfast on Sunday at the firehouse, dance in the high school on Saturday night, a small rodeo. The population quadruples, easily. Recently, they've had hot air balloon demonstrations and a 5K fun run.
    On Monday, everyone gathers in the park and the committee and voluteers serve the cooked beef, beans, chile, coleslaw, etc to all comers for free. It is the epitome of what a small town celebration should be.
    This sounds like fun because I LOVE beans in any shape or form. My original hometown used to have a watermelon festival. I always enjoyed the seed spitting contest and of course, there were TONS of watermelon to eat for free. They also had a wacky river raft race and all the rafts had to have a watermelon theme. They had a watermelon queen (and she was required to enter the seed spitting contest) and all kinds of other fun stuff related to watermelons.

There is a sonic on every corner around here. I used to be in LOVE with sonic, but I ate there so much, that I no longer want to eat there anymore, but I may try their corndogs because I am still craving a good corndog slathered in mustard and you can still get a cherry coke there too and I love those as well.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Miss Thing - I've seen the Deerfield Fair being advertised on tv for this weekend. Are you going? (Take Rt. 2 and stop by Laurel Lake Park in Erving to see the world's oldest lifeguard!).
    Count your blessings!

I'm so glad I swallowed my coffee before reading that, Gutmutter!
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast