+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fairs and food festivals

Re: Fairs and food festivals

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;2443480;
    chitlins (bleah!)
    So, I've seen this term before - but what the heck are chitlins?
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Chitlins are boiled and sometimes fried pig intestines. People actually eat them (not this person!). Just the smell would keep me several miles away...they reek. Why we need a festival for them is beyond me.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

MRD

Yep Wayward, they do stink. They have to be boiled several times, dumping out the water they are boiled in and starting over to get all the "stuff" out of them.

I do not understand why people eat them today, but in the past they were what kept a lot of the very, very low or no income people alive who had nothing else to eat.

Personally I can't even look at them, but my dad used to love them, but he didn't get them at home, I can tell you that. He had to get his chitlin' fix somewhere else. He also ate fried gizzards and livers. UGH!

I think I would definetly pass on the Chitlin' festival.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

What a great idea for a thread, MissThing.

I grew up about 7 miles away from the Ohio River. There were a string of river towns on that stretch of the river and every year, each one in turn would host a regatta (a river festival). There would be boat races, rides set up along the river, and lots of food. I'm in a landlocked part of Kentucky now, so I miss the regattas.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Every summer for 10 days, we have a fair come into town about 5 minutes from me. the Brockton Fair. Years ago, there were some great rides. I'm sure in some people's minds, there still are but not as far as I'm concerned. They took out all the awesome rides and left all the chintzy ones. My best friend, LeRoy, has been in the Demolition Derby up there for about 10 years now. That's the only reason I go up anymore. Although I stopped going about 2 years ago because they charge admission and I just don't think it's worth it to spend $12 to get in when all I'm going to be doing is sitting for 2 hours watching the Derby. When I used to go, though, we would spend money to take advantage of the POP (Pay One Price) day which means you pay say $15 at the ticket booth (this is in addition to the admission you pay at the gate) and you get a wrist band which allows you to ride all the rides as many times as you want. It's cheaper than buying tickets because almost all the rides require at least 4 tickets and it's something like $35 or something for 52 tickets or something like that. I haven't bought tickets in a while because the rides stink now. I may go up this year to see the Derby but I haven't decided yet.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Miss Thing - if you're really thinking of doing this, there's one in Pittsburgh that is top notch... someone help me with this. Is it the 3 Rivers Festival? It is serious arts and crafts - and I mean serious. Not your rinky dink craft fair. Good music. I forget what else. Are you looking for just state fair kinds of things or music festivals, too?
    Count your blessings!

Just outside of Birmingham, AL we have an arts and crafts festival called Homestead Hollow. All items being sold are hand made. Its held 4 times a year. May, June, October, November. Homestead Hollow Arts & Crafts Festivals in Springville, Alabama
    The food is awesome. Bloomin onions, fried moonpies, funnel cake, and bbq everything. The craft booths are awesome! There is one lady who sells homemade candles that are better then any other candle I've ever burned.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2443859;
    Miss Thing - if you're really thinking of doing this, there's one in Pittsburgh that is top notch... someone help me with this. Is it the 3 Rivers Festival? It is serious arts and crafts - and I mean serious. Not your rinky dink craft fair. Good music. I forget what else. Are you looking for just state fair kinds of things or music festivals, too?
    I'm looking for agricultural, real food, and real arts and crafts (what you've called serious arts and crafts). Not carnivals, at all - honest to goodness fairs - that's what I want.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

The Ponchatoula Strawberry Festival is kind of generic on the carnival aspect (rides, parade, king/queen stuff), but you don't go for that--you go for the strawberries. It's held in April of every year so it's at the peak of the strawberry season; the berries are really big and sweet at that point, but the weather hasn't turned impossibly hot yet. Link

I found a neat website called Festivals.com ... Celebrating Life. that lists all the festivals for every state. Pretty cool.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast