+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Romance & such

Romance & such

I didn't think that there was a thread about just romance and me being the hopeless romantic that I am, thought that it would be time to start one.

Whats the most romantic thing that has ever happened to you?

My boy and I went to the river tonight and it was just a really nice night out and made me realize that I have an amazing person and I'm so glad to have him. We talked about everything.

Re: Romance & such

When my ex and I were first dating, he went away for a week on vacation and sent me a desicated fish in a big manila envelope. I know that sounds gross, but I got a kick out of it at the time. Probably the worst was when I was away teaching a summer school gifted and talented program my (different) boyfriend sent me a couple of outrageously romantic letters. Later when I was back home and looking for stamps in the desk, I found the exact same letters word for word that he had written to a previous girlfriend!
    Count your blessings!

Ew, a fish, Gut? Why on earth would he send a FISH?
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I'm trying to remember, lildago. Something about him wishing I was there to walk on the beach with him, so he sent me a little something to share the experience. What I liked about it was that it meant he knew we shared the same off-beat humor and that I would appreciate why it was funny.
    Count your blessings!

I could understand sand, or even a broken shell, but a fish?! I also got a kick out of the other love letter(s).

The most romantic thing I can remember (and it's been years, people) is when my boyfriend and I went out and he picked a few wildflowers for me. I was amazed. Little did I know at the time it was illegal to pick the wild flowers!

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

we got engaged under the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree. I was shocked and excited all at once. It was quite romantic, even with those bazillion other tourists staring at us.

Hey Gut...that's weird. Maybe we had the same boyfriend . When I was a teen, my boyfriend wanted me to try Ooligans, an oily sardine- like fish. I kept refusing and he gave me a beautifully wrapped "Birks" box (don't know if they are in the US, but are a top jewellery store in Canada), and when I opened it...yup, slimy fish inside. I don't think I was so impressed!!

My hubby surprised me by arranging a sitter for the kids when they were little, and took me to a Shakespeare festival for my birthday. We had tickets for "Romeo and Juliet" and he had also packed a beautiful picnic lunch complete with lobster etc. He put so much thought into everything it really touched me.

On my 40th birthday, Mr. Rattus gave me a diamond ring, which was nice (I keep forgetting I own it), but the best thing was he took me on a road trip to another country to see a Maxfield Parrish exhibit at the University of Rochester, followed by a leisurely jaunt around the lake with a stopover in a funky motel - all stuff I love that he doesn't so much.

The day I felt most romantic, though, was one tremendously hungover Saturday in New Orleans. We went and grabbed beignets, espresso and water at the Cafe du Monde and ate them on one of the benches on the delta overlooking the Mississippi, followed by a wander through the local market where we sat on the kerb eating mangos and drinking more water and just watching life happen. Nothing happened and I was sick as a dog (the aforementioned hangover plus the discovery that I'm allergic to crawdads), but there was just something almost magical about the way I felt more in love that day then I ever had before.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Mr. Katgib isn't so romantic. Once in awhile, he will try, though. Last summer we decided to take a vacation. The first in a long time. Instead of doing something he wanted to do....he suggested we go to Florida so I could meet an on-line friend and then to Alabama so I could meet another friend whom I met in a mommy chat room and had talked to for 4 years but never met. We made a pit stop in Atlanta because my middle son wanted to see it. We also took the kids to Disney for a day. We had a blast and I got to meet two very dear friends. He planned the whole vacation and fixed it so we would be in Alabama for my birthday. I got to meet my friend and have dinner with her and her family on my birthday. It was wonderful. My hubby even ended up having a great time. My friends hubby and my hubby hit it off and I think they talked more than we did! I don't know if I would call it romantic, but it was very thoughtful and I couldn't have asked for a better vacation!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

The fish story reminds me of something I did that was meant to be romantic, but didn't work out that way...way back in our early days my S.O. and I were separated for several months due to work/school issues, and knew it would be several more months before we were back together. This was pre-email and the phone was expensive so we used old fashioned letters. So one day I, who was in a warm part of the country, mailed S.O., in a cold part of the country, a flowering twig of apricot blossoms from my backyard--meaning, spring is here, wish you were kind of thing. Three days later I get an irate phone call asking what the meaning of this dead twig with crushed dried up flowers is...our love is dead? Comes of not really thinking these gestures through....
    40 odd years later we still chuckle over that one...but it took a few months..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast