+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 36 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Obsessive/Compulsive? Come share!

Obsessive/Compulsive? Come share!

What do you do that's OCD? I do several things, but here's a short list:

1) I memorize the license plates of every single car I see when I'm driving, and I play games with them. One game: I try to make a word that has all 3 letters in the same order. For example, HTE could be "wHaTEver" or "HoTEl", etc. I do this with a plate until the next one comes along. It's the first thing I notice about a car - what state they're from, whether their tags are current, and what the number is.

2) I have to read just about everything, cover to cover. If I pick up a TV Guide, I have to read all of the articles, even the ones I'm not interested in. Even my wife's Self magazine gets read cover to cover. I've learned more about breast cancer than I ever wanted to know with this month's issue

3) I'm a clockaholic, as we've discussed in another thread. I have to have several clocks within view of me at any given time, and they have to be correct, preferably to the second. If a digital clock changes the minute, and another one doesn't, I am about 70% likely to unplug it and wait to plug it back in so it's correct to the second.

That's enough to start with, I guess

I don't think I'm OCD, but you tell me....I think I'm just tad odd though
    I personify all things. Ya know that new Ikea commercial with the lamp? Yep, I was one of the people who felt bad for the lamp.
    When I'm washing dishes and there are 5 glasses I have to make sure that three go on one side of the dish rack, and that the other two go on the other, even though 4 will fit on the one side... I don't want that last glass to be lonely! Everything has to have a partner. I talk to my car all the time, and apologize to broken things that need to be thrown out! Then I thank them for being the best little whatever it is they were!
    OK, am I crazy?
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Yes. But we all are, so you're in good company!

John, the truly worst part is that there's more.........

What is really sad is that reading the things you two do, the first thing I say to myself is, "That's a good idea!"

Especially about apologizing to things you have to throw out. I'm another Ikea lamp sympathizer.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Cali,
    I do not know if you are crazy, but it sure sounds like you have a good sense of gratitude. Maybe if we all were thankful for the things that we have and considered their usefulness before we throw them out, the world would be a better place. Besides, if reincarnation really happens I would want to come back to live in your household, in whatever form that might be.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I think my most closely resembling OCD thing is the germs at the office deal. I'm not like that at home, but I do tend to want to wash my hands anytime I have to touch a door handle that others use. Same thing in airplanes and all public restrooms. You know, you can order those Purell handwipes in bulk on the web site

Planes. I'm afraid to fly and will only do so with someone I know (I guess I'm afraid of dying alone). When I get on a plane I knock on the outside 3 times just as I'm stepping off the jetway (Mr. B does this too now ). While we are taxiing out to the runway I close my eyes and have a series of prayers that I go through and don't usually stop until takeoff is over (same thing when landing)

I'm not sure if this is OCD, but I have a routine that I apparently do when I go to bed in the evening. I do the normal (washing face, brushing teeth, using bathroom), then I come in, take my vitamins, blow my nose, put hand lotion on my hands and elbows, fluff the pillow and then get into bed. He says it's the same exact thing every night and he finds that amusing.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

When I eat, I like a variety of colorful foods on my plate. There is nothing less appealing than a plate full of the same color foods. I have been known to go back to my kitchen to get a piece of lettuce or a tomato or anything that will add some color balance to a plate. I used to get annoyed at the useless parsley or the ruffled lettuce leaf that was placed on my plate simply to add color. Now I am thankful for it is aesthetically pleasing.
    Last edited by Feifer; 09-29-2002 at 11:42 AM.

Ah Feif and Miss F THANKS

Bravo I was never germ phobic, but since meeting you and fluff, I have actually purchased purell, and carry it in my purse!
    Colorful plates are pleasing... but if you don't eat the [arsley, be sure to thank it

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Bravo I was never germ phobic, but since meeting you and fluff, I have actually purchased purell, and carry it in my purse!
    OMG, we are rubbing off our bad habits!

I have to admit...I started thinking about John's license plate thing and I may have to give that a try!!!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 36 1234567891011 ... LastLast