+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233343536 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Obsessive/Compulsive? Come share!

I took the Monk test and just as I thought, "I'm no-where-near-Monkish." It says I could use some of Adrian Monk's organizational habits. I say "No thanks!" Mr. lildago has enough for the both of us!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama View Post
    This is the part I wish I was OCD about...for the life of me I can't fold those damn sheets neatly so they end up being haphazardly folded and stuffed in the linen closet.
    Dan, my boss, actually gave you classes on how to fold towels, sheets, the end of toilet paper into a point...and when he'd check on your cleaning, he'd make sure it was ALWAYS perfect! He actually went to The Gap, had the sales staff show him HOW they folded their shirts, and taught all his maids, so we could do the clients laundry to perfection. I must say, cleaning homes, although a thankless and degrading job, was the BEST resource that I've ever had! When you're cleaning a pure white and mirrored apartment for a millionaire, and you can make THEM happy, the skills that you carry back into your own life are priceless! Best job I've ever had, excepting the landscaping!

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama
    I'd love to move in...would you mind a sometimes "know-it-all" 12 year old boy who's happily obsessed with baseball and "Lost" (rather than girls right now!), 3 turtles and a semi-claustrophobic tomcat to come with me????
    I see all your great yummy recipes you post in the recipe thread and I can assure you we love to eat so we could at least be your taste-testers!!! Plus we are both Taylor Hicks lovers so we know we'd get along well with you!!!
    "Come on down, Honey! There's always room at the dinner table for friends and family!" Our latest roommate, Lil' Gay Chris is going to be buying a "bunnie", so a turtle is desperately needed for the "Amphibian" Class that we're missing out on! And I'd whip up a tasty soup while we're cheering on Taylor and we could all skamper back to the kitchen, during commercials, for some Flavia coffee!

When should I expect the moving truck?! Maybe we just need to start a FoRT Commune!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    When should I expect the moving truck?! Maybe we just need to start a FoRT Commune!
    Ready or not...here we come....

First in line for the FORT commune........
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Here's the addy, bbnbama: First dirt road on the left....I've left the light on for you!

Of course, if we have a lot of our OCD buddies bringing their great skills together, we'd need THIS:

Just think what a neat place it would be: literally! We could all pull our OCD skills together, ensuring that the place would NEVER burn down, or the oven/iron be left on; that the sheets and towels would have military corners; the beds nicely made; food goods labeled; a bulletin board for photos of our car odometers; a well catalogued musical and book library; pre-wrapped packages of M & M's in pairs and on and on! Sounds good to me!

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    Originally Posted by bbnbama
    Someone had posted about knowing your mileage and knowing where you were when it rolled over to a certain number....um, I'm sorry to say, I've actually taken pictures of those momentous occasions!

Okay, bbnbama: we ARE Soul Sistas! I have on my other lap top, a folder entitled, "Little Pony's Birthdays!", and it has photos of Pony reaching 100,000; 150,000; 200,000; and now 250,000! I have pulled over on Interstates and bridges to take shots of Pony's birthdays! But she's a real, living truck, so why wouldn't I celebrate her birthday??? Besides, she's been with me longer than my two marriages!
    I never thought to take pictures of the mileage - but I do notice and remember where I was - I just hit 45,000 on my Nissan Murano - a few weeks shy of her 3rd birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    I never thought to take pictures of the mileage - but I do notice and remember where I was - I just hit 45,000 on my Nissan Murano - a few weeks shy of her 3rd birthday!
    Haul that Photo Phone out, PGM, and snap away! Or find a man named "Big Jim", and have him turn the odometer back so you can recapture those moments.

See what you learn in this thread?! Baby pictures of our cars....

Ok. I'm a bit shocked.

I just played and found out I'm "More Monk-ish than Most" which surprises me. I don't believe I"m really OCD. But I did grow up in a very perfectionistic and over-bearing home. I would also admit to having a few "habits" but I no longer worry or drive myself totally crazy about things. I've learned to "let go" and not be so bothered. Some things, I believe, are just common sense. But then again, I've had a LOT of therapy and some good drugs! Who knew?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: Obsessive/Compulsive? Come share!

I have a lot of compulsions. Some I have dropped over the years but I've probably started new ones to replace them.

I used to count my steps when I walked, I wouldn't step on a crack, and I tried to time my footfalls when walking on tiled paths to be the same. So if it took me two steps to cross the first patch on a sidewalk, the rest of the way down the sidewalk, I made sure to only step twice on each section. I don't do that anymore of (that I'm aware of). I mostly used to look down because I was too insecure to look at other people so now that I'm not doing that, I don't pay as much attention to what my feet are doing.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that they counted in sets of eight. I used to count in sets of three, much to the amusement of my best friend.

I am a compulsive pen-chewer! I don't notice when I do it but I obviously do because every pen on my desk has bite marks on the end, the tip, and the cap (which I put on the end of the pen when I'm writing). I've had family members mention when they find a pen around the house they know it's mine because it's chewed on.

When I get a straw at a restaurant, I like to take the wrapper off the straw and tie it into knots. If the wrapper breaks in half, I'll knot each half. I'll also knot wrappers from other people's straws at my table if they're within my reach.

I like light switches to point up when they're on and down when they're off. If I have a light with multiple switches, like in the kitchen, and the switch is left the wrong way, I'll fix it.

When I get candy like M&M's or smarties, I like to take it all out of the package first and sort them by color, then I eat one color group at a time, usually starting with my least favorite color or the color with the fewest candies and then end with the best color or color with the most amount of candies in it. I don't know why I do it.

I like to trail my fingers on walls when I'm walking through a hallway. I have to stop myself from doing that when I let visitors in at work so I don't look like a crazy person.

I used to tap and drum my fingers on my desk compulsively in school. I would drum my fingers from the pinky to the thumb, then occasionally reverse the direction, drumming from thumbto pinky, just to switch it up. I worked hard to break the habit and don't do it as much now. I still catch myself occasionally doing it.

In high school, when I had an important test to take, I would write the number 21 on the back of it, thinking it would bring me good luck. It seems to have worked because I always got an A on the tests I did that to.

Interesting! I'm sure we'd all find curious mannerisms if we looked at ourselves with a magnifying glass. I only eat one thing at a time on my plate, unless I'm eating with my mother because she tried to break me of it as a child. Now I only cook for myself so I only make one thing at a time. I'll make a salad and eat it. Then if I'm still hungry, I'll make something else, etc. When I'm looking for something without success, I stop and say out loud, "I'm finding my car keys" (or whatever). Almost always works. I count to 25 if I'm waiting for something impatiently. Bet I could think of more if I tried.
    Count your blessings!

I refuse to write with anything but a black pen.
    Other colors are used for particular purpose only: Blue-To make a particular thing/word stand out; Green-Only if blue has already been used. Neither fax well. Red-Correction; Pastel or any other Fancy Colors-Well, I'm not 13 any more. Enough said.

My soup cans all face the front & are grouped by size.

My clothes hangers all go front-to-back & all clothes face the same direction & are grouped according to warm-weather or cold-weather.

When I do things or count things I always count in multiples of 8.

I never travel out of town without a printed out map of exactly where I'm going. Unless I go there all the time & am very familiar.

My finances & bank book/bank accounts are ALWAYS figured out to the exact penny. I even know exactly how much I have in my Retirement accounts. At all times.

My bills are paid within 24 hours of when the bill arrives.

My car is kept full of gas & the other fluids are checked every other week. And I keep all sorts of emergency equipment in my trunk, just in case.

I clean up after my dog twice a day.

However....................... ..........................

My kitchen table is a dumping ground.
    My car has junk all over the floor & seats I'm sure I have no idea I still have.
    My refrigerator has stuff in it I'm afraid to open.
    I have tons of stuff in my bedroom drawers & closet that I haven't used or thought of in at well over 10 years.
    I still have unopened boxes in the closets I moved into my house 13 years ago.
    My desk at work, & my one at home are a complete disaster.
    I'm late for EVERYTHING.

So you tell me: Am I obsessive/compulsive or just plain odd?
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread