+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Obsessive/Compulsive? Come share!

MRD
    OK, I have a typical American question.

What is Canadian Tire money and why does it bother you guys to count it?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    OK, I have a typical American question.

What is Canadian Tire money and why does it bother you guys to count it?
    I googled canadian tire money and here is the link:
    http://www2.canadiantire.ca/CTenglish/ctmoney.html

Canadian Tire 'Money'™
    Canada's Pioneer Customer Loyalty Reward Program
    History of CTM
    Gas Bar History
    Why CTM Developed
    Versions of CTM

Fast Facts
    Unique Versions
    CTM Today

Canadian Tire 'Money' can be used anytime, for any item purchased at a Canadian Tire Associate Store, and it can be combined with other discounts on items. You can use your Canadian Tire 'Money'™ to pay for your entire purchase, or just a portion of the total price. Redeem it immediately or save it up for that special something you've been wanting to buy.

No rules - no time limits - no hassles It's that simple.

Canadian Tire 'Money' (CTM), one of Canada's best-known and most-loved customer reward programs. Considered by many to be a Canadian icon, Canadian Tire 'Money' enjoys nearly universal top-of-mind recognition in Canada.

The History Of Canadian Tire 'Money'

Canadian Tire 'Money'™ was inspired by Muriel Billes, the wife of Canadian Tire's co-founder and first president, A.J. Billes, and was introduced as a "cash bonus coupon" in 1958 in the first Canadian Tire Gas Bar in Toronto.

Canadian Tire Gas Bar History

In 1958, the first Canadian Tire service station was built beside the flagship store at the intersection of Yonge and Davenport streets in Toronto.

In 1959, the first "state of the art" Gas Bar and Lubritorium was built beside the Canadian Tire store on O'Connor Drive in Toronto. Originally called "Mor-Power", this gas bar was revolutionary in 1959, with gas pumps designed much like those of today.

Due to the success of these early stations, Canadian Tire gas bars began to multiply.

Fast Facts

1961- 10 new gas bars; 201 stores
    1962- 6 new gas bars; 204 stores
    1970- 44 gas bars in total; 254 stores
    1975- 58 gas bars in total; 295 stores
    1979- two new gas bars with new decor
    1983- 99 gas bars, 46 Pit Stops and 375 stores in total
    1997- 193 gas bars; 430 stores
    2000 - 202 gas bars, 432 stores
    Why was Canadian Tire 'Money' Developed?

Canadian Tire 'Money' was developed as an innovative response to the promotional activities of the major oil companies in the 1950s. The oil companies were giving away dishes and toasters to their customers: A.J. Billes decided to boost gas bar business by giving away coupons. Customers were permitted to choose their preferred "bonus". The result? The oil companies just couldn't compete. In one stroke, Canadian Tire had hit upon another retailing first: the concept of cross-merchandising.

For the first three years, CTM was given out only at Canadian Tire's new Mor-Power gas stations and exchanged for discounts on in-store merchandise only.

The idea met with such success, that in 1961, distribution of CTM was extended to customers at Canadian Tire Stores. Customers were now able to redeem coupons at gas bars and Canadian Tire retail stores.

Fast Facts

Today, CTM can be used in any quantity, at any time, toward the purchase of any Canadian Tire in-store product or automotive service (excluding Gas Bar products).
    Canadian Tire Gas Bars issue CTM based upon the number of litres of gasoline purchased.
    CTM is available in denominations of 5¢, 10¢, 25¢, 50¢, $1 and $2.
    CTM is currently issued on cash, cheques, debit cards, traveler's cheques, gift certificates, CTM and credit vouchers.
    Customers can redeem CTM at any Canadian Tire Store, regardless of the type of tender being used, and with no expiry date, CTM can be used at any time.
    How Many Versions Of Canadian Tire 'Money' Are In The Market?

Since its introduction in 1958, there have been 21 different series and many different versions of CTM. These versions can be distinguished by colour, size, style and authorized signatures. Each old version is withdrawn from the market over time. Despite the changes, however, CTM is clearly identifiable.

Versions of Canadian Tire 'Money'

5¢/10¢/25¢/50¢/$1.00
    • Issued at Gas Bars only •Redeemable at Store only

3¢/5¢/10¢/25¢/50¢/$1.00
    • Introduction of 3¢ •Issued at Stores only • Redeemable at Store and Gas Bar

1¢/2¢/3¢/4¢/5¢/10¢/15¢/20¢/25¢/30¢/35¢ 40¢/45¢/50¢/60¢/$1.00
    • Issued at Gas Bars only • Redeemable at Store only

3¢/5¢/10¢/25¢/50¢/$1.00
    • 50th Anniversary issue • Issued and Redeemable at Store and Gas Bar

3¢/5¢/10¢/25¢/50¢/$1.00
    • Issued at Stores only • Redeemable at Store and Gas Bar

3¢/5¢/10¢/25¢/50¢/$1.00
    • XXIst Olympiad in Montreal issue
    • Issued at Stores only •Redeemable at Store and Gas Bar

5¢/10¢/25¢/50¢/$1.00
    • Issued by Stores only • Redeemable at Stores only

5¢/10¢/25¢/50¢/$1.00
    • Issued by Stores only • Redeemable at Stores only

5¢/10¢/25¢/50¢/$1.00/$2.00
    • Introduction of $2.00 • Issued by Stores only
    •Redeemable "Only at CTC Stores"

•Completely redesigned • Issued by Stores and Gas Bar
    • Redeemable at Stores only

• 75th Anniversary issue Issued by Stores and Gas Bar
    • Redeemable at Store only

• CTC logo in place of 75th logo • Issued by Stores and Gas Bar
    • Redeemable at Store only

Fast Facts

CTM was introduced in 1958 with 5¢, 10¢, 25¢, 50¢ and $1 denominations.
    In 1961, a 3¢ coupon was added, and in 1989, a $2.00 coupon was added.
    In 1962, some "oddball" denominations were also in circulation: 1, 2, 3, 4, 15, 20, 30, 35, 40, 45, and 60 cent coupons.
    The only "oddball" denomination to survive was 3¢; however 1990 was the last printing of 3¢, and by 1993, it was withdrawn from circulation.
    In 1986, the last Gas Bar series of coupons was printed.
    In 1992, all Gas Bar issued coupons and store coupons with 'redeemable at any Canadian Tire or Gas Bar' was withdrawn from circulation.
    The first series of Canadian Tire 'Money' symbolized Canadian Tire's image. Taken from an early 1920 store sign, the first image shows a happy tire and dollar sign running hand-in-hand along with the slogan "We make your dollars go further".

In 1961, the next generation of Canadian Tire 'Money' was introduced. This marked the birth of a well-known Scotsman, Sandy McTire, a character that became synonymous with Canadian Tire's emphasis on savings and value. The coupons were printed on genuine bank note paper by the British American Bank Note Company (the same company that printed Canadian currency at the time). The coupons were made from authentic bank note paper, with the same rag content and spot marks as paper currency. Because the coupons felt like real money, people were, and still are, reluctant to throw them away.

Today, the new design of Canadian Tire 'Money' incorporates the latest anti-counterfeiting technology. Special watermarked paper is used in the printing so that, when held up to the light, a white outline of the Canadian Tire triangle is visible through the paper. Raised lettering on the face of the bill, a maple leaf image, and anti-copier tints are used to create the background patterns. A latent image of a maple leaf is positioned to the right of Sandy McTire's left ear-but it can only be seen by tilting the bill at eye level.

Were There Any Unique Versions Of
    Canadian Tire 'Money'?

There have been a few variations on the theme over the years.

In the 1960's there was a "Sandy McTire" coupon issued to support Canadian Tire Lubritoriums. Redeemable at Lubritoriums only, the coupons were worth double the value on an oil change or grease job.

Among the more rare versions are the Hercules special "gas war" coupon series. This series came in 2, 5, 10, and 25 cent issues. In the 1960's, Canadian Tire's fledgling gas station network was engaged in an unwanted price war. Not one to back down from a battle, the company issued the infamous "Hercules" gas war coupon. Redeemable only when prices rose above 41.9 cents per gallon, it featured Hercules readying to bring a ball and chain down on a Canadian Tire Gas bar.A "call to arms" against the gas giants appeared on the back of the coupon: "..together we will defy the giants and win the gas war......shoulder to shoulder with you, the customer--we will win this war. Our mutual cause is morally and economically right." The price war cost Canadian Tire a fortune and went on longer than expected. A year later, though, there were thirty-one Canadian Tire gas bars dotting the countryside. Interestingly, many of the Hercules coupons were never redeemed. And, by the mid-1960's, Canadian Tire gas bars reached $97 million in sales.
    Canadian Tire 'Money' Today

Canadian Tire 'Money' has remained popular with our customers. In fact, each series of new Canadian Tire 'Money' is catalogued, tracked, collected and even hoarded by people not just in Canada but around the world. Rare bills are even considered to be valuable among collectors, prompting the establishment of organizations such as the Canadian Tire Coupon Collectors Club.

Canadian Tire 'Money'. Not only is it Canada's oldest, best known, best loved reward program, it's just one more way that Canadian Tire maintains its promise to be the best at what our customers value most.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD
    WOW!!!
    I never knew! How awesome is that?

So do you guys really use it that much? Is it worth it?

I just took the Monk test and yes, I am more Monk-ish than most.

Most of my hangups involve public restrooms and several changes of underwear daily. I have over 50 pair of underwear. I can't go on even a weekend trip without taking at least 20 pair. I haven't gotten so bad as to have an underwear only suitcase, but I could.

I don't mind my food touching, but I only eat one food at a time. If we have steak, baked potatos and green beans, I eat all the steak first, then the baked potato then the green beans.

I have many other weird habits. So glad I'm not alone as my husband thinks I'm completely nuts.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I save the steak till last!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I'm starting to think my 4yo has a little touch of OCD! Getting her dressed has to follow a particular pattern! Her shirt has to go on first. Then, the pants. If she's wearing a dress, the dress goes on first, followed by the stockings. When undressing, it's in the reverse order. Don't even think of pulling off that shirt first! My poor husband didn't have a clue since I usually help her dress. When he tried to help her last week, she flipped out and started screaming because he pulled her pajama shirt off before the pants. She was screaming so loud, I thought she was hurt!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Thanks Gabriel, I had no idea the whole history of Canadian Tire Money, I just knew that for as long as I could remember they hand it out every time you buy something there!

I think we have about $50.00 worth, like I said upthread, I don't count it, that's hubbys' department. He uses it once every year or two for hunting supplies.

I've been having so much fun reading about everyone's quirks.

But, while reading them, I'd think, "Well, that just makes SENSE: to wash dishes immediately, make your bed, and clean messes right away." And alphabetizing books and CD's: Why wouldn't you? It makes finding them eazy-peezy and putting them back a breeze!

How I was brought up, by staunch Lutheran farm wives who'd Spring House Clean their homes weekly, this behaviour just seems normal to me.

I took the Monk Test and this is the result: "Lambikins: you are a Little Monk-ish". You've got a few Monk-ish tendencies, but they're totally natural. You're more "Go With the Flow" then "Grab the Flow and Redirect it so it's Straight and Symmetrical." Keep the delicate balance you've got between keeping order and embracing spontaneity and you'll be set. Mr. Monk may very well be envious of you."

My two quirks have NO impact on anyone in my life, so I don't feel a twinge of guilt. The first one is so odd, I have NO reason as to "why" it started: I refuse to get out of bed unless the digital clock is on even numbers. So, if I have to get up, I'll wait until it's 5:54 rather than 5:55.

The second is that 100% of all canned goods and boxed stuff has the date written on it, in BOLD BLACK MARKERS. This is to avoid, under ALL costs, out of date food and the possibility of food poisoning. I think this came about because my Gran canned most of our food, so she had to date the jars and freezer packages and I helped her with that. I rotate the stock on our shelves, like a White Hen Pantry (worked there for 2 years) and make sure that all the items are catagorized, such as soups go HERE, canned veggies HERE, etc. It's my own personal Grocery Store! Now, if I buy a pricing gun, then I'll know I'm OCD!

I've actually house-sat for people, in the year 2005, and in their freezer, they had steak with "Best by 1999" written on it and cereal in the cupboard that was from the early 1990's! I kid you not! Sally laughs at me and refuses to date packages but since I do the bulk of the shopping, I'm not subjecting anyone else to dating the food. One case of food poisoning per life time is all that I'm interested in having!

Regarding the rest of you "Neat-niks", I say "Clean On!"
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    WOW! Its nice to know that I'm like all of you guys...Some of the things I do:

I have to read the CD inserts on all music CD's first before I listen to the CD. At work, I have to use the same pen until I use all the ink up (I like the satisfaction of throwing it away). Everyone at work knows about this and knows that I get in a complete tizzy if someone happens to take my pen. I have been known to write my name on a piece of tape and wrap it around my pen so that everyone will know that one is mine! Also, no fine point pens...only medium point. I also am guilty of having to repeatedly check the stove, the doors and make sure I've blown out all candles every night before I go to bed..and even when I get in bed, it never fails as soon as I get comfortable I worry that I didn't really check them good enough so I have to get up and physically go to the stove and touch the knobs and make sure they are off, physically check to make sure the doors are locked and physically look at the candles to make sure they aren't burning! All can goods are put together in cabinets by groups (soups with soups, etc). They also are grouped together when they are put on the grocery check out (cold items with cold items, boxes with boxes, veggies with veggies) but it doesn't bother me in they are not bagged that way!?! My retail years have created mini OCD monsters in that my money all has to be in grouped combinations and turned all the same way. When I'm putting up my groceries, I bring the old items I have to the front and put the new items I just bought to the back. All clothes in my closet are color coordinated and absolutely no wire hangers! Someone had posted about knowing your mileage and knowing where you were when it rolled over to a certain number....um, I'm sorry to say, I've actually taken pictures of those momentous occasions! When I go to bed at night, I have to flip thru the TV channels completely before I can turn the TV off. I check and re-check my alarm and the VCR when I set it to tape something. I also never set my alarm or VCR on exact times (8:00, 7:00)...I always set it for an odd time (8:05 or 7:11). It also drives me crazy when I see misspelled words in my posts or others. That's why God created spellcheck!!! I am also notorious for using too many (........) in my posts....it can never be one or two...needs to be more than that. I also have to go thru the FORT completely every night before I go to bed and read posts (even on shows I don't watch). I'm afraid I might miss out on something if I don't.

I wish I had more of the OCD quirks for maniac cleaning of the house but I missed out on that one...Don't get me wrong, I'm clean and for the most part so is my apartment but I do have occasional dust bunnies hanging out with me from time to time.

I'm sure I have countless other "quirks" but for the most part they are harmless...only really affect myself and not others...and they are just a part of who I am.....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama View Post
    WOW! Its nice to know that I'm like all of you guys...Some of the things I do:

All can goods are put together in cabinets by groups (soups with soups, etc). They also are grouped together when they are put on the grocery check out (cold items with cold items, boxes with boxes, veggies with veggies) but it doesn't bother me in they are not bagged that way!?!
    Of course they are! When you're loading the grocery cart, you can chose where to place the items, so why not keep the cold with the cold and the hot with the hot?! I've actually had check out girls compliment me on how I stock and seperate the groceries on the belt, as it moves forward: they said it made their job easier to pack the bags. That's all the incentive I need to continue doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama
    My retail years have created mini OCD monsters in that my money all has to be in grouped combinations and turned all the same way.
    And when you give the cashier the money, do you count it out to THEM? I have it catagorized and count the bills first, and then the change. No way to "lose" a $20 bill, if the cashier mis-counts the money!!! I've worked at a White Hen Pantry, the Gap, Dayton-Hudson's and other retailers, and brought their work ethic home with me. Who am I to argue with multi-million dollar corporations work ethics???

When I'm putting up my groceries, I bring the old items I have to the front and put the new items I just bought to the back.
    But of course! That's called Stock Rotation...dah! Who doesn't know THAT???!!!

All clothes in my closet are color coordinated and absolutely no wire hangers!
    Not only color coordinated, but also changed by the seasons and grouped according to length of blouse, sweater or dress. Thank You, Dayton-Hudson, for teaching me how to display, fold and store clothes!!! Four years, during undergraduate, in the Oval Room did it's trick! I also worked as a house-cleaner, for 4 years, when I was starting my landscape business and the guy who ran the company was Monk, to the max! He insisted that when we folded sheets and towels, that they could A) Fit back into the original shrink wrap and B) It looked like the client came home to The Four Seasons. Silly as it sounds, I carried those practices home with me and my linen closet looks like an ad for Wamsutta. It's become a weird point of pride to have serene bundles of towels and sheets in the linen closet; plus a lavender pommander, too, so it smells nice.

Someone had posted about knowing your mileage and knowing where you were when it rolled over to a certain number....um, I'm sorry to say, I've actually taken pictures of those momentous occasions!
    Okay, bbnbama: we ARE Soul Sistas! I have on my other lap top, a folder entitled, "Little Pony's Birthdays!", and it has photos of Pony reaching 100,000; 150,000; 200,000; and now 250,000! I have pulled over on Interstates and bridges to take shots of Pony's birthdays! But she's a real, living truck, so why wouldn't I celebrate her birthday??? Besides, she's been with me longer than my two marriages!

I wish I had more of the OCD quirks for maniac cleaning of the house but I missed out on that one...Don't get me wrong, I'm clean and for the most part so is my apartment but I do have occasional dust bunnies hanging out with me from time to time.
    Oh, this is the part that I LOVE! At the apartment, there's 4 adults living there and I devised a cleaning schedule that MUST be adhered to by everyone. Once a week, each and every room is stipped down to the woodwork (not really, but close!) Windows are cleaned, floor molding is washed, cabinet doors are scrubbed...the list goes on and on. But, with 4 people cleaning the house WEEKLY, it only takes 45-60 minutes per room and per person to clean it. Yeah, we live in it: having pizza boxes on the floor during Idol, and newspapers strewn about when we're actually reading them. But, what's so satisfying about this, is that ALL of the roomies really have come to enjoy the HIGH standard of cleanliness around the house and keep it up, on their own, daily. They can do what they want with their rooms, but there's always pride when they walk into the front door and the place sparkles. THIS is where I'm the most Monk-like: I must have a sparkling clean home!

I'm sure I have countless other "quirks" but for the most part they are harmless...only really affect myself and not others...and they are just a part of who I am.....
    Sounds as if you took the Monk test, bbnbama you'd be a Little Monk-ish, too. (unless I missed your results somewhere else.) My waking up on even numbers, taking photos of Pony's birthday, and labeling cans has NO impact on any one, therefore, I indulge myself.

I must say, you'd make a GREAT roommate at our home!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    He insisted that when we folded sheets and towels, that they could A) Fit back into the original shrink wrap and B) It looked like the client came home to The Four Seasons. Silly as it sounds, I carried those practices home with me and my linen closet looks like an ad for Wamsutta. It's become a weird point of pride to have serene bundles of towels and sheets in the linen closet; plus a lavender pommander, too, so it smells nice.
    This is the part I wish I was OCD about...for the life of me I can't fold those damn sheets neatly so they end up being haphazardly folded and stuffed in the linen closet. The towels are a different story....those are kept neatly folded and for some reason once I moved out of my parents house, I decided to fold them a completely different way....must be a small act of rebellion, ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    I must say, you'd make a GREAT roommate at our home!
    I'd love to move in...would you mind a sometimes "know-it-all" 12 year old boy who's happily obsessed with baseball and "Lost" (rather than girls right now!), 3 turtles and a semi-claustrophobic tomcat to come with me????
    I see all your great yummy recipes you post in the recipe thread and I can assure you we love to eat so we could at least be your taste-testers!!! Plus we are both Taylor Hicks lovers so we know we'd get along well with you!!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread