+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Obsessive/Compulsive? Come share!

I am the same way about the germs. I TRY to avoid public bathrooms, but it doesn't really happen. I share a bath with 7 other girls (we're in a suite). I wear flip-flops in the shower. THAT is compulsive, but I just cant help it. Just thinking about what bacteria might be growing in there makes me icky.

Well, in addition to the license plate thing, I'm always playing little word or math games in my head. I grew up in a family that played games, lots of them, and anything. From Boggle to Skip-Bo, to Yahtzee, to Canasta, and everything in between.

If I'm driving on a freeway, I have to count mile-markers, and figure out exactly how long and how many miles until the next town or whatever. I roughly calculate the MPG of my car whenever it hits the quarters on the gauge. I'll think of the last sentence a person said to me, and count the different letters in it. I do wierd stuff that way. I see patterns in everything. I'm always good at estimating the distance to the pin on the golf course.

But the license plate thing is really something I do every single time I'm in the car. I know the license plate numbers of every single car between my house and the highway, because I see them every time I drive by.

Just think of all the things I had to forget to make room for THAT piece of useless knowledge!

Just think of all the things I had to forget to make room for THAT piece of useless knowledge!

My son and I were talking the other day about just how much a person can remember and when and how the brain decides it's time to give something up to make room for the new!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I just always think of that Simpson's episode where Homer's complaining that every time he learns something, he forgets something else...

Homer: Remember when I went to that winetasting, and I forgot how to drive?

Marge: That's because you were DRUNK!

JR.
    I always get dressed the same way - left side, then right side.

That's pretty much it, I think.

Not really OCD type stuff just some ritual habits for me....

-When getting dressed I put on a sock then shoe, sock then shoe instead of putting on my socks and then my shoes.
    -Not really a habit even per-se but I condition my hair before I wash it because I think it feels too icky when I do it afterwards.
    -and-
    -Whenever I walk out from behind the deli/bakery counter at work (even to talk to a customer about something) I untie my apron strings and tie them into a knot in the front. I know where this habit came from atleast, but why do I do it every stinking time I walk out from the counter???? Short note that started it all....NEVER wear an apron into the restrooms that ties behind you!! (I never thought much of it, and used to just tie my strings in front of me after this happened until somebody pointed it out to me how gross it was to be rubbing it up against the sink and stuff in there, now it totally grosses me out so myself as well as all of my employees "strip" when we are going to the facilities) Wellllllllll one day when making a pit stop I went to tie my apron back and the strings fell into the toilet YUKK!!! That taught me a big time lesson to say the least!!

I have to turn a light switch on and off 14 times every time I leave a room or else my family will die.

Seriously though, I don't really have any OCD... things. I used to be really bad, I did have to turn a light switch on and off twice before I entered a room and I always walked all the way around my car like you're supposed to but I also checked in the back, in the trunk, under the car... I don't anymore, mostly because its too fuckin cold for anyone to hang out under my car.

"Ya know that new Ikea commercial with the lamp? Yep, I was one of the people who felt bad for the lamp." -- cali

I know that this was probably already discussed, but I havetah say, I'm with you on that man. That poor lamp! I wanted to give it a sympathetic hug and take it home with me. 0_0 *hem*

labtech
    I learned a long time ago that being OCD with children can drive you crazy. Especially with our boys. They are constantly forgetting to put their clothes in the hamper, thus ending up on the floor, their shoes are in the middle of the living room floor, they forget to put the toilet seat up and if they happen to remember then they forget to put it down, and the list goes on and on! Oh the joys of motherhood and especially to little boys!!!!

i am ocd, but not to a fault.

it usually only really kicks in when i'm under a great deal of stress or i'm upset.

i'm a counter. i count steps. i remember once when i walked home from campus, i stepped in my front door and said "806". sheesh.

i also count in 8s and touch my thumb to my fingers while i'm counting. constantly. even while walking and counting steps.

i can not walk up a staircase - ANY staircase - without counting the number of stairs i'm walking.

when i'm in the car alone, i calculate how long it takes me to get to the next mile marker... and how long it would take me if i went 5 mph faster or slower or 10 faster or slower. i also see how many miles i can go in what period of time before my rear defroster goes off.... oh the games we play!

when i was younger, my ocd was much more in control. we lived on a quarter mile private drive in the country. i would walk from my house to the end of the drive... and as i walked i would have to hit each tree with a rock before i could pass... there were a LOT of trees.

i also had an ocd dog when i was younger. we had a button back sectional sofa and she would have to stick her nose in EVERY one of the button backs of the section on which she was sitting!

man, this thread makes me feel a bit more mental than i like to admit!

+ Reply to Thread