+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Obsessive/Compulsive? Come share!

Leo
    Premium Member
    Originally posted by unexplained
    Caligirl, about the shoe thing.

We always take off our shoes when we're at home. I think it's an Asian culture. I get your disgust for wearing shoes in the house.

This is such a funny thread! I love it, and I love that it was resurrected, because it looks like John started in way back in '02.

And AliceBShoe , I also love your name, and I'm also a (reformed) packrat! Not dirty, i.e. no dust or bugs, just saved a lot of stuff! But, in the last year, my new obsession has been getting rid of things/recycling them/giving them away. Nothing has been more fun than creating a new, empty, clean space, so that's a new obsession. I've done a 180. Still can't get rid of sentimental stuff, though.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Originally posted by Shazzer
    Nothing has been more fun than creating a new, empty, clean space, so that's a new obsession.

Sigh...I wish I had that obsession...

BTW Hi Shazzer! Where have you been the last few days? You're not actually working at work are you?
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

What a fun thread. I am loving this. Okay, here are mine:

* Shoes. Right foot first, then left. Always.
    * 11:11. Always look at the clock then. Don't know why.
    * Pillowcases must have open end facing out
    * Food: Veggies first, then main course. (my mom did this to us)
    * Books: Must-finish-book. I can't leave one just laying around and come back to it later.
    * Reading: Always have to read while eating. Preferrably the paper, but the ketchup bottle or seasoning container will work.
    * Wedding Rings: Can't take them off. Ever. Something bad might happen.

And this is a weird thing, which may not be OCD. My kindergarten teacher taught us the difference between right and left by making little bracelets and having us wear them home for the weekend. TO THIS DAY, I cannot give directions or say right or left out loud without looking at my wrists. Drives Mr. Bumpkin crazy - especially when we are making driving decisions together.

Metallica Fanatic breathless4975's Avatar
    Originally posted by Shazzer
    This is such a funny thread! I love it, and I love that it was resurrected, because it looks like John started in way back in '02.

And AliceBShoe , I also love your name, and I'm also a (reformed) packrat! Not dirty, i.e. no dust or bugs, just saved a lot of stuff! But, in the last year, my new obsession has been getting rid of things/recycling them/giving them away. Nothing has been more fun than creating a new, empty, clean space, so that's a new obsession. I've done a 180. Still can't get rid of sentimental stuff, though.
    I'll gladly take the stuff you're getting rid of! I just seem to want to accumulate things. I've always been a collector. I can't seem to ever get rid of anything. I think my family just goes around behind me quietly throwing things away because otherwise I wouldn't have enough space to live in and I'm sure I'm not the one getting rid of stuff.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. - Albert Schweitzer

The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.

If I accept the sunshine and warmth, then I must also accept the thunder and lightening.

Originally posted by ajg113
    2) If I'm on a road trip that lasts longer than about an hour, I make "teams". I pick one car to be my partner, and we must stick together and beat everyone else on the road. I'm sure there have been people wondering why this crazy chick has been following them so closely. If only they knew we were teammates. I actually feel a sense of loss if they end up having to exit before I do.
    I used to do this too! But the Florida Highway Patrol broke me of it.

I was driving a rental car from Sarasota back to Tampa, trying to make a flight. I fell in behind a white van with a Hillsborough County Sherriff's logo.

Followed them for about an hour. Made *great* time. A FHP car came flying up behind me and pulled me over.

Long story short: The van was transporting prisoners, and the drivers thought I might be a girlfriend of one of them, prepared to help him escape. They radioed the FHP to check me out and asked that I be 'detained' for about 20 minutes until they could get away from me.

They were very nice about it.

Originally posted by Bumpkin

And this is a weird thing, which may not be OCD. My kindergarten teacher taught us the difference between right and left by making little bracelets and having us wear them home for the weekend. TO THIS DAY, I cannot give directions or say right or left out loud without looking at my wrists.
    I can out-weird that. When I was very little, I sucked my thumb. My left thumb. My parents did everything they could to get me to stop. They would tie socks on my hand at night, put this weird tar stuff on it so that it would taste gross, bribe me, beat me and chain me in the basement (okay, that last one was a lie). Nothing worked. Around this time, I learned the difference between left and right. Here's my weird thing: to this day, if I'm giving directions to say left, I can feel that thumb kind of tingle. I imagine it's a lot like phantom pains in people who've lost limbs. It's very odd, and even now as I'm typing this, I'm all hyper-aware of that thumb.

Please don't all think I'm crazy now. I'm not. I'M NOT!!!

Side note: I finally quit at age 6 by making a deal with my parents that if they'd quit smoking, I'd quit. They did, and I did. Then I started smoking at 18. Still waiting to see if they'll start sucking their thumbs now.

Edit: it's too funny that bumpkin went back and found a relatively old post of mine, just when I was quoting that last post!

Second edit: @ prison gf story

I love your posts, ajg113. You are very funny!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

We do the shoes off at the door thing in our house too. If you are leaving and you have to go back and get something that you forgot, you must place the two wal-mart sacks over your shoes and slip and slide to go and get whatever you want.

I have always followed behind a car going faster than me when traveling too. But now that I know your story - I will choose wisely.

Caligirl and unexplained, I can't stand people wearing shoes inside my house either. It's part of the Finnish culture as well (incredibly unpolite to walk in your shoes inside someone elses house and ruin their floors). I had a hard time, when I was as exchange student in Germany during high school and they freaked out because I did not wear shoes inside the house. Yes you read it right, they freaked out because I was wearing only socks indoors. Their explanation was that I would catch a cold...

My obsession is that I have to check that every door is locked before I go to bed (even if my husband just locked them). Also, I have to give exactly 3 goodnight kisses to my kids.

+ Reply to Thread