+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Obsessive/Compulsive? Come share!

I hate shopping carts because they are so dirty, so I take anti-bacterial wipes into the store with me and clean off the handle of my cart.

I will NOT touch a bathroom door handle. I'll use my shirt sleeve or the bottom of my shirt, or take a paper towel from the sink to open the door.

This is weird. When someone has a piece of bread, a roll, or other bread like food I HAVE to stick my finger in the middle of it! I know it's weird, I told you!
    Okay, I should clarify. Family only (or close friends!).

I'm sure I have more. I'll have to think on it.

I have a hard time throwing out paper. Work paper, coupons, old flyers. It's hard to do.

I hold conversations with people in my head. Depending on the situation, it's different people. Sometimes I'm thinking ahead, sometimes I'm going back over an old agruement in a way that I win it, other times I thinking something out and need someone to talk to. (I'm sure there is a medication for that)

When reading a magizine, I often read back to front.

When I grocery shop I have to go the same way each time, I can't skip areas, go in a different direction or change my pattern in any way. That's why I hate shopping with my husband, he messes up my pattern because he feels it isn't logical (it's logical to me so that is all that matters)

Now that I've shown I'm totally crazy, I'll just sneak away now.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I have loads of those weird habits:

-I was surprised to read that somebody else actually read magazines, books (well some books!) and newspapers from back to front. I thought I was the only one to do that!

-If I run over a pothole, I get the ever-bothering feeling inside me to pull the car over and check it out to make sure all is ok.

-I bring my collapsible plastic baskets to the supermarket and put it in a cart. When the food is being checked out, I go to bag-your-own aisle and put food and stuff back into my baskets. I can't stand plastic bags.

-I avoid any public toilets as much as possible, and usually avoid bathrooms of my friends' homes.

-I refuse to answer the phone during the typical dinnertime hours, even if it may be my friends trying to call me. (telemarketing, damn you guys!)

-The only holiday I refuse to celebrate is Valentine's Day, because I believe that love should be everyday.

There must be more, but I can't think of it at the moment.

Whenever I need to use tissue paper, I always pull two from the box. It always has to be two, otherwise I don't feel right.

Whenever I leave a room, I always turn ON the lights, or leave the lights on if they're already on.

I know I have other weird habits, but I just can't think of anymore at the moment.

We actually have a deeply buried thread about this...I'll try to find it and merge it, so y'all who haven't been here terribly long can laugh at out behavior, too.

I remember this thread! Never got around to posting in it though.

Another weird habit of mine: I always follow this particular order whenever I surf online:

1. Check my website.
    2. Check my friends' websites (in a particular order too)
    3. Post on FORT
    4. Check e-mail
    5. Blog
    6. Check website again.

I never stray from my daily online routine.

Good routine. I wanna see FORT at #1, though.

Leo
    Premium Member
    I have a routine when I go online as well. Mine is:

a. check e-mail
    b. login to MSN
    c. login to Kazaa
    d. check some message boards (FORT included)
    e. check some news sites

Chances are, though, I'll be doing the last two items at the same time. And I always, always make sure that my modem is busy. I always want to be downloading something, otherwise I feel Im wasting something.

Aren't we humans funny?!

I love this thread! I have so many compulsions in common with so many of you!

I have a psychologist friend who had been treating a patient with OCD for years, and one day she just snapped while he was talking about his habits (hand washing) and said FOR THE LOVE OF GOD - JUST STOP IT! YOUR HANDS ARE CLEAN, OKAY?! JUST STOP WASHING THEM BECAUSE IT MAKES YOU LOOK CRAZY!!

Okay, I'm not sure if she actually said this to him, but she thought it so now we (jokingly) refer to this as "Martha's cure for OCD - just STOP IT".

Here are some of mine:

-Whenever I'm adding a powdered substance to something (like creamer to coffee, detergent to the washer, bath salts to the bath water) I put in a scoop...plus a little bit more. It doesn't matter how BIG a scoop I add, I must add just a little bit more. It's definitely a compulsion because while I'm doing it I think to myself "okay don't do it this time because it's not necessary". But I can't not do it. This is the only of of my wierd habits that is really a compulsion, because I know it's senseless but can't control it. Thankfully, it's a pretty harmless compulsion.

-Rechecking the alarm

-Can't sleep without a glass of water and tube of lip balm next to the bed

-Somewhere I heard that it's bad luck to put on your left shoe first, so now I can't ever do that
    (oh gosh, now I've probably infected someone out there with this!)

-Can't sleep without a glass of water and tube of lip balm next to the bed
    Oh, I could never do that, Molly. I am unable to drink from a glass of water in the dark - who knows what might have crawled into the glass that I can't see!

+ Reply to Thread