+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need help, can't decide!

Re: I need help, can't decide!

I know one guy in the Navy reserves in communications. I don't think he has ever gone on a ship. He seems to really enjoy it and so far hasn't been called up for active duty.

I know someone else in the Coast guard reserves in the Great Lakes. He has done far more then just the weekend a month and two weeks in the summer but I'm not sure if he is considered active duty. He is often on a boat but really seems to enjoy it.

But, yes get everything in writing and really think about it, you could end up doing far more then what you had in mind.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Premium Member

One of my son's high school classmates is in Army intelligence. He spent 2 years learning a foreign language so he could decipher messages during reconnaissance missions. The only downside of his career is that he is the only one on the plane who does not get a parachute. If they are ever shot down, whatever intelligence he was uncovered goes down with him and the plane. Not real comforting for his parents.

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

My son is in awe of the military at age 10. We are trying to encourage either the Air Force or the Navy. I 'may' be wrong, but those 2 branches appear a bit safer in this unstable world we live in.

I like the ROTC route as well for kids. Pay for college, go in as an officer and serve your country. Win-Win.

Wow, Marleybone, that would be an insecure feeling for your friends, the intelligence guy goes down with the plane, egads!

FORT Fogey

Back From Boot Camp!

Hey everyone... I'm back!

It's been a LOOONG month and ALOT has happened in my life. If you've EVER wanted to be on Big Brother, join the Air Force and get sent to med hold! Your new game will be to get sent home as quickly as possible while you sit around and do nothing!

Haha! Ok, here is what happened, and don't worry, I am over it now.

I get to boot camp, and in two days, I find out I am medically disqualified to be in the military. (Long story short). Basically, the reason it took me forever to get to boot camp was because I was waiting for a waiver for my prior collapsed lung, and got it. Apparently that waiver means nothing and when I get to boot camp they tell me I am medically disqualified and am being sent to medical hold to be sent home. My prior collapsed lung disqualifies me from the military.

So, I have spent the past month doing nothing. Literally nothing. Wasn't allowed to... too "medically dangerous." I felt like I was on Big Brother (there were cameras too!) But the game was to get home as fast as I can. I moved fairly fast, usually takes a month and a half- 2 months to get discharged. Only took me about a month.

Anyway, I am home now. Just got here, and going to catch up on Big Brother (why did Nick have to go!? Why!? I told you Eric would screw him over!)

Re: Back From Boot Camp!

Welcome back, Soldier! I guess you weren't in long enough to make Admiral

*disclaimer--I damn good and well that the Air Force does not have Admirals.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Julian, that's just terrible. I can't believe they would discharge you for that if your doctor's said you were ok to go.
    I'm so sorry to hear this and so sorry it took so long to get you back home.

So are you ok with how things turned out? Strike that, its kind of persona, if you don't want to answer.

We're here for you though.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

I said I am ok now in the post I think. Basically, I was upset at first, but I am really excited now. Everything that happened made me realize EVERYTHING I take for granted. I am disappointed I can't be in the military, but alot happened while I was there that turned me off to it (such as my locked job being changed to security forces and planning to deploy me... which leads to me being disqualified anyway). I came in with a "locked job". But yes I am disappointed I didn't get to finish boot camp, but I am so happy to have my freedom back. I can't complain.

MRD

Well I'm glad you are ok with that.

The military is FAMOUS for changing jobs on people with no notice.

But glad you are NOT getting deployed and are home safe.

Good luck in your future plans.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Best of everything to you Julian.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

WOO HOO Julian is back...so now he can watch BB8!!

Sorry things didn't work out for you but glad you seem to be OK with it!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast