+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 79 FirstFirst ... 12525354555657585960616263646566676869707172 ... LastLast

Thread: Etiquette Questions

Re: Etiquette Questions

Knock me over with a feather! She called last night.

Don't get your hopes up. It is because she needed a recap of BB AND her computer is down. She wanted to know if DH could fix it for her. DH agreed to it. (I am not happy) I'm going to tell her he charges $75 an hour and it will take minimum of 2 hours work. See what she says. I know they don't have any money. Maybe her DH could do some house repair or something.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3176259;
    I'm so ticked off. I went to the dentist this morning and I was the first appointment. I walked into the waiting room and the rude receptionist didn't even acknowledge me!
    Not a nod, a smile nothing. She didn't even glance in my direction. I was standing at the desk not a metre in front of her frikkin face.
    She could have looked and me and said have a seat, or I'll be right with you, or you must be Mrs. Duxxy. I was there for my first ever root canal, the dentist is an endodontist (big scary word) and I was terrified.
    IMO when you are in a people-centred business you should be willing to act like a human!

Hi Duxxy, there is no excuse for how you were treated. If I'm at my computer patients can see me when I come in. I always look up, tell them hello and that my office manager T will be with them in a minute. If it's a patient I've know for years I'll hop up and visit with them while waiting for a staff member to come up front. I've been known to get back from lunch b/f anyone else. If it's a new patient I introduce myself and give them their paperwork to start filling out. You won't believe the number times I've been told that they couldn't believe I was the doctor b/c I helped them. It only takes a moment to treat people the way you want to be treated.

I hope your root canal went well. If I found out that one of my patients was treated that way at an office I referred them to, I can assure you I'd call the doc and let him know that I didn't appreciate it.

toothdoc

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3183612;
    Knock me over with a feather! She called last night.

Don't get your hopes up. It is because she needed a recap of BB AND her computer is down. She wanted to know if DH could fix it for her. DH agreed to it. (I am not happy) I'm going to tell her he charges $75 an hour and it will take minimum of 2 hours work. See what she says. I know they don't have any money. Maybe her DH could do some house repair or something.
    My husband works in IT and whenever he tells someone what he does, he gets bombarded with computer questions. Usually, it is someone wanting him to fix their computer for free. He always helps friends and family members for free, but those friends and family members have responded by taking us out to dinner, giving us gift cards and (my favorite) mowing our grass! Mr. Doxie DOES charge some people, but he usually just tells them "it took two hours" and they are usually so grateful that they pay him MORE than he would have charged. My Dad says that Mr. Doxie is his personal "Geek Squad"....
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by ToothDoc;3183691;
    Hi Duxxy, there is no excuse for how you were treated. If I'm at my computer patients can see me when I come in. I always look up, tell them hello and that my office manager T will be with them in a minute. If it's a patient I've know for years I'll hop up and visit with them while waiting for a staff member to come up front. I've been known to get back from lunch b/f anyone else. If it's a new patient I introduce myself and give them their paperwork to start filling out. You won't believe the number times I've been told that they couldn't believe I was the doctor b/c I helped them. It only takes a moment to treat people the way you want to be treated.

I hope your root canal went well. If I found out that one of my patients was treated that way at an office I referred them to, I can assure you I'd call the doc and let him know that I didn't appreciate it.

toothdoc
    Thanks toothdoc (and it's nice to see you here again) I'm over my outrage and hopefully I'll never see her again. The endodontist was fantastic. She's warm and welcoming. The root canal it's self was one of the best experiences I've had in the dentist's chair. She was fast and professional and it didn't hurt a bit... until later (it's been 6 days and I still can't chew on that side!)

The first time I met her (at the consultation) I thought she was the assistant. She's only 32, her hair was blond streaked with pink, purple and blue and she has facial piercings! I thought it was hiliarious. This week her hair was bleached white-blond and cut in a spikey brushcut (think Susan Powter)
    I did tell my refering dentist about it and he didn't seem very impressed. I never get treated like that at his office and I know better than to think it's something that happens everywhere.

I'm glad to hear that you are so welcoming to your patients.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

A llittle ticked off here but instead of causing a riff in a friendship, I thought I'd write it out here and get any feedback if you all were willing to chime in. I have a really good friend who has been in pain for a while. Back and neck and causes her to be run down, tired, arms tingling, etc. She was on pain pills from one dr who didn't bother to find out the cause of the pain. A year later, now a neurosurgeon has diagnosed her with herniated discs and she needs surgery. Throughout this ordeal, she's been social but it was declining. She'd go to a happy hour here and there mainly due to work (in her line of work she has to be social to an extent), and to a few things I'd invite her to. She always said, "thanks so much for including me, even if I never go." I've told her, I'll keep inviting her in the off chance that she is feeling well enough to get out of the house or out of the office. So when she finds out she needs surgery, she calls me and tells me about it. I had no idea that she was going to become a recluse and not leave the house at all until her surgery and after recovery. This was 2 weeks ago and I had invited her to something Friday and then again to lunch today. I was under the impression that she was still going to work, hence the lunch invite to a place really close to where she works. I was told that I must not understand the severity of what she is going through. She is not going ANYWHERE until after her surgery and recovery time which the surgery is next week and recovery time should be until mid Nov. I apologized and said (this was all in email by the way) that I didn't know she wasn't going to work, etc. I was sorry if I seemed insensitive. She wrote back, good, now you know because you seemed quite insensitive.

Quite? Because I invited her to 2 events which I've done for the last year. I know she might be a little jealous that I can go out and she is hurting. I didn't think I was insensitive to any of that. I did apologize for it though because it appeared that is what she thought. Oh well, thanks for letting me write it out. I think we are ok except I was going to take the day off from work to be there for her surgery and in her email she said, don't bother because she'll be out of it and not up to visitors and not to take a personal or vacation day off for her.

PGM - I know that had to be very hurtful to you. I think that maybe she was feeling a little sorry for herself (understandable) and you happened to be the first person to cross her path while she was in that mood. Even though I know it was pretty rude, I would try not to take it too personally and just move on. I think it was very nice of you to offer to take the day off for her surgery and equally nice of her to tell you not to waste the vacation day. Maybe you could take that day off after she gets home from the hospital and may need some help around the house. If she continues to be so short tempered, maybe it's more than what I'm thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;3187537;
    PGM - I know that had to be very hurtful to you. I think that maybe she was feeling a little sorry for herself (understandable) and you happened to be the first person to cross her path while she was in that mood. Even though I know it was pretty rude, I would try not to take it too personally and just move on. I think it was very nice of you to offer to take the day off for her surgery and equally nice of her to tell you not to waste the vacation day. Maybe you could take that day off after she gets home from the hospital and may need some help around the house. If she continues to be so short tempered, maybe it's more than what I'm thinking.
    Thanks Scoutmom - I am really trying to understand her side of it which is why I didn't make a big deal out of it (I think she and I are growing in our friendship and I don't want to lose any headway we've made). She and I are going to get together at her house (if she's up to it) tomorrow night. I do plan on visiting her at the hospital but maybe taking half day or leaving early to do so. Although she said not to visit, I will still go and even if it's just to drop off flowers, tell her Mom hello, and even if I don't see her directly, I'll still go. Not like she can stop me and it will be too late at that point.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

PGM, I think you're being a good friend and being very gracious to her. She sounds like she may be suffering a tad from depression... I don't think she's mad at you--I think she's got a lot on her mind and is basically thinking about HERSELF...which is OK to a certain extent. You were the bigger person to apologize and make her feel better--even if you weren't in the wrong. If she continues to treat you this way after her surgery and recovery, you may want to rethink your friendship. But right now, I think it was good of you to give her some leeway. I hope her surgery turns out well.

And BTW, you're a peach to offer to take a vacation day to help her. My guess is she thinks she doesn't want anyone around--but possibly will. I think she may regret turning you down.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3187588;
    PGM, I think you're being a good friend and being very gracious to her. She sounds like she may be suffering a tad from depression... I don't think she's mad at you--I think she's got a lot on her mind and is basically thinking about HERSELF...which is OK to a certain extent. You were the bigger person to apologize and make her feel better--even if you weren't in the wrong. If she continues to treat you this way after her surgery and recovery, you may want to rethink your friendship. But right now, I think it was good of you to give her some leeway. I hope her surgery turns out well.

And BTW, you're a peach to offer to take a vacation day to help her. My guess is she thinks she doesn't want anyone around--but possibly will. I think she may regret turning you down.
    Thanks Lois. I will probably do that. She said she's having some people help her out and I would have thought I would have been one of those she would have asked. I will definitely offer my help or just do things that I think she'll need.

Hey all - I have an etiquette question for y'all...

It's about a parent in-law relationship. Do you think that a parent in law (mother in law/ father in law) has any extra responsibility for making an effort than a daughter in law/son in law does? It's kind of strange because everyone is an adult - both parents and son/daughter - but I'm wondering if the fact that the son or daughter in law is a newcomer in the family of their spouse/fiancee or is younger makes a difference in how that relationship gets going...?

+ Reply to Thread