+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 79 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566676869 ... LastLast

Thread: Etiquette Questions

Re: Etiquette Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3176259;
    I'm so ticked off. I went to the dentist this morning and I was the first appointment. I walked into the waiting room and the rude receptionist didn't even acknowledge me!
    Not a nod, a smile nothing. She didn't even glance in my direction. I was standing at the desk not a metre in front of her frikkin face.
    She could have looked and me and said have a seat, or I'll be right with you, or you must be Mrs. Duxxy. I was there for my first ever root canal, the dentist is an endodontist (big scary word) and I was terrified.
    IMO when you are in a people-centred business you should be willing to act like a human!
    You are so right, Duxxy! I'm not a real people person, so I never even interviewed for those kinds of positions.

It's funny you posted this, because I have sort of the opposite problem. I'm mostly on my own in my office, but I cover for the receptionist's lunch hour three times a week. I will also cover the front desk for a few hours when she has a vacation day. Because I'm not naturally outgoing, I always make it a point to smile and say "How may I help you?" to everyone who comes in the door. Sometimes people just stare through me like I'm not there, and other times people immediately say "Where's X(the regular receptionist)?" and don't even say hi to me. I want to yell "I'm a person, not a piece of office equipment!"

You can see why I'm not much of a people person, no patience.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3177273;
    and other times people immediately say "Where's X(the regular receptionist)?" and don't even say hi to me. I want to yell "I'm a person, not a piece of office equipment!"
    Gees! They can't even say, "Hi, where's so and so?" What rude people! That's not cool.

What I love is when people talk around you and just ignore you, as if you're not there. And then when you start to say something, they talk over you. The last time this happened, I was just rude right back. I kept talking louder and faster and drowned them out. They just looked at me, and I said, "You do that all the time to me." You would've thought I'd just poked them in the eyes. See, I can be rude, too. Normally I would have better etiquette but sometimes I just reach my boiling limit.

mrd, I've had the people over before (the ones who didn't invite us). Anyhoo, I'm not going to worry about it. Like my husband says, it's not big deal. It just hurt my feelings.

MRD

Well Lois, then there just clueless and they're missing out you and your hubby's great company, so fooey on them.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3176769;
    and people wonder why I and JOEY are HERMITS
    I understand completely. I'm not exactly a hermit, but 'recluse' describes me pretty well. I just don't give a damn about being around people. If I am around others, that's OK, but I prefer solitude.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

What do you call someone like me? I love being around people until I am sick of people and then I just want to stay home and not see anyone and or even talk on the phone.
    With me, it's an either or situation. Either, I'm really sociable or I'm a total hermit.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3177358;
    What do you call someone like me? I love being around people until I am sick of people and then I just want to stay home and not see anyone and or even talk on the phone.
    With me, it's an either or situation. Either, I'm really sociable or I'm a total hermit.
    I'd say you're pretty normal MRD. I think we all have both social and leave-me-alone moments...I know I sure do.
    CYA

MRD

I'm having an anti-social day today. I just want to be left ALONE!!!!!!! and I'm staying in my PJ's all day too.

I'm having a day like that, and I'm sitting at my work desk. I have a lot of little things to accomplish today, so am hoping that it's not too busy with walkins.

Ok everyone. I am this close to ending a friendship over this situation. Advice?

I made arrangements for a close friend and her DH to come to dinner on Sunday. Friend and I picked Sunday as she had another invite for Sat/Fri. she wasn't sure which day so we settled on Sunday. She called me yesterday and told me Sunday dinner is off as this other invite was going to be Sunday and she was going to that. How about we get together on Saturday instead. I told her I would get back to her after talking to DH. But really I am upset and hurt. Her switching up our plans so she can do this other thing upset me. And honestly, if this were a first time offense I would be ok with it...kindof. But whenever we make plans, something else always comes up. Her life is what I would call a roller-coaster.

So I have a couple of options here.

1-tell her Saturday doesn't work for us and take a rain check?
    2-tell the the truth? I am hurt and feel like second-string
    3-end the friendship. Good friends are hard to find, but this one is becoming too much trouble.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

livin4reality, I think I would take door #1. I feel I am as important as anyone else. If you want to come when I invite you, I will be excited. If you don't, that's ok too. After many times of you not wanting to come when I invite you, I will get to the point of not inviting you. My question for you is does she invite you to do something with her? How many times out of 10 does she accept your invitation with no finagling? I say whatever makes you feel good about yourself.

+ Reply to Thread