+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 79 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768 ... LastLast

Thread: Etiquette Questions

Re: Etiquette Questions

Esp. thinking of all the money and time that people put into a wedding. It shows total disrespect.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

I view what I wear as a matter of respect, and to a lesser extent, tradition. I used to be a jeans-everywhere person, but when I started showing dogs, it was clear to me that I would be very out of place in the conformation ring if I dressed like that. For the first time in my life, I bought a suit and a couple of ties (and dang it, I look good all spiffed up--almost human, instead of like Big Foot's mangy brother.) One thing led to another, and now I'll wear the suit to dog shows (if I'm working or exhibiting; if I'm just hanging out with friends, its back to jeans,) to the opera, and to funerals. When I take my piano lessons, I wouldn't dream of showing up in shorts and a t-shirt. Out of respect for my teacher, I wear slacks and a decent shirt. The way that I dress doesn't affect the way that I play the piano, but it does affect the attitude with which I approach lessons.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3175454;
    I view what I wear as a matter of respect, and to a lesser extent, tradition. I used to be a jeans-everywhere person, but when I started showing dogs, it was clear to me that I would be very out of place in the conformation ring if I dressed like that. For the first time in my life, I bought a suit and a couple of ties (and dang it, I look good all spiffed up--almost human, instead of like Big Foot's mangy brother.) One thing led to another, and now I'll wear the suit to dog shows (if I'm working or exhibiting; if I'm just hanging out with friends, its back to jeans,) to the opera, and to funerals. When I take my piano lessons, I wouldn't dream of showing up in shorts and a t-shirt. Out of respect for my teacher, I wear slacks and a decent shirt. The way that I dress doesn't affect the way that I play the piano, but it does affect the attitude with which I approach lessons.

Newf, I have never seen anyone put something in such a way that makes such total sense.
    Yes, the way you dress sometimes can affect the way you approach something.
    I applaud your attitude about dress. You're comfy most of the time and you are respectful when its appropriate.
    Please tell the men of the world this so that they will know it's ok to look like Bigfoot at times and at others, the suit doesn't kill you to wear it.

It's true that how we dress can affect our attitude. I know it does me. Sometimes that's a good thing. Sometimes not.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm so ticked off. I went to the dentist this morning and I was the first appointment. I walked into the waiting room and the rude receptionist didn't even acknowledge me!
    Not a nod, a smile nothing. She didn't even glance in my direction. I was standing at the desk not a metre in front of her frikkin face.
    She could have looked and me and said have a seat, or I'll be right with you, or you must be Mrs. Duxxy. I was there for my first ever root canal, the dentist is an endodontist (big scary word) and I was terrified.
    IMO when you are in a people-centred business you should be willing to act like a human!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3176259;
    I'm so ticked off. I went to the dentist this morning and I was the first appointment. I walked into the waiting room and the rude receptionist didn't even acknowledge me!
    Not a nod, a smile nothing. She didn't even glance in my direction. I was standing at the desk not a metre in front of her frikkin face.
    She could have looked and me and said have a seat, or I'll be right with you, or you must be Mrs. Duxxy. I was there for my first ever root canal, the dentist is an endodontist (big scary word) and I was terrified.
    IMO when you are in a people-centred business you should be willing to act like a human!
    I've had experiences similar to that in several doctor's offices in recent years, and I blame the evolution of how work is distributed in many offices. It used to be that a receptionist did nothing but that job -- answered the phones, greeted patients and other visitors to the office, and MAYBE did some basic administrative work. Now, many receptionists also double as office managers or billing administrators. So in their eyes, they are an admin who has the unfortunate desk placement in the receiving area. To me, its a doctor's responsibility to set the expectations in a job description and say "Each patient should be greeted warmly upon arriving". But a doctor chooses the tone of the office -- either patients are the reason we all show up each day, or patients are the pains in the butt who interrupt us from getting things done.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3176259;
    THis irks me no end. It takes 2 seconds to say good morning, I'll be right with you.
    I have done and am now doing a LOT of work with the public and a friendly smile and greeting goes a LONG way and doesn't take any of MY time to do.
    In fact, I'm happy to do it.

Was just talking with someone about this at work and they said that they like the fact that I am so good with the public and so friendly. That that is a skill they cannot teach.
    I like it too. I know I'm good with the public and I like people (most of the time), so I don't have a problem with it.

But boy do I run into people in other businesses that do.

I've always wondered about the people that are in customer relations and are so bad at it. Makes the whole business look bad in my opinion.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

OK, so I'm all bent out of shape and Mr. Lane told me to just calm down! Our neighborhood does a lot of things together and generally everyone invites everyone else and then whoever can make it shows up and those who can't RSVP no. This has happened several times to us and it actually hurt my feelings, even though it's not a big deal. There is one family that doesn't invite us--they'll invite everyone else, but not us. Sometimes we've driven by, seen something going on at their house and they see us but don't invite us to join in. Everyone else there I think just assumes we've been invited but couldn't attend...and we usually don't find out about it until after it's over and people are talking about it. My feelings are hurt because even if we can't make it, it's nice to be invited and given the option. This isn't a select group that's being invited or anything. I don't want to ask them because if they are excluding us for a reason, I don't want to be impolite and put them in a spot. We're not best friends with them, but we get along fine with them and I haven't heard any neighborhood rumors about them being annoyed with us or anything. Mr. Lane said, "Who cares?" I do! I'm sensitive!

OK, I feel better. Thanks for letting me be a big baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3176392;
    OK, so I'm all bent out of shape and Mr. Lane told me to just calm down! Our neighborhood does a lot of things together and generally everyone invites everyone else and then whoever can make it shows up and those who can't RSVP no. This has happened several times to us and it actually hurt my feelings, even though it's not a big deal. There is one family that doesn't invite us--they'll invite everyone else, but not us. Sometimes we've driven by, seen something going on at their house and they see us but don't invite us to join in. Everyone else there I think just assumes we've been invited but couldn't attend...and we usually don't find out about it until after it's over and people are talking about it. My feelings are hurt because even if we can't make it, it's nice to be invited and given the option. This isn't a select group that's being invited or anything. I don't want to ask them because if they are excluding us for a reason, I don't want to be impolite and put them in a spot. We're not best friends with them, but we get along fine with them and I haven't heard any neighborhood rumors about them being annoyed with us or anything. Mr. Lane said, "Who cares?" I do! I'm sensitive!

OK, I feel better. Thanks for letting me be a big baby.
    I hear ya! I had this same issue much earlier this year with my so-called circle of friends. I never hear about an event and they send around the link to pictures from the event and never once did anyone stop to think, I wonder why PGM isn't here. Because no one thought to invite PGM. I get sensitive about it too! I just found out another happy hour or bday party or something happened on Friday night. I sent a text to a few of the girls to find out what was going on, if anything, on Friday night. I just wanted to have a quick drink somewhere, nothing like all night or anything. Only one responded that she was having dinner and drinks with her mom. None of the others acknowledged my text. So Monday morning, I find out about the shindig. Wow, what friends I have. It would be one thing if there was a reason to exclude me, something I've done or said, but nope, can't think of anything and no one's told me anything. People are just rude or clueless or both. Half of them probably think someone else invited me.

and people wonder why I and JOEY are HERMITS

MRD

Gabriel, if you lived closer, you and Joey would NOT be hermits. I would insist on a dinner or a beer or lunch out at least a few times a month!

Lois and PGM, I had a couple friends like this in Florida and it used to irk me too. Now that I moved, it's not a big problem EXCEPT they go on a trip together once a year and it would be nice to be asked to go with them. I may not always be able to afford to go, but it still would be nice to be asked. Now they are talking about going to Vegas in 2 years and want to know if I can go. Well gee, they finally ask me and it's 2 YEARS away?
    I guess they figure I can save for it starting now.

That would bother me too about not being asked. Lois, can you have party at your house and invite everyone including them? Maybe then they will reciprocate the next time they have a function.

+ Reply to Thread