+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 79 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Etiquette Questions

Re: Etiquette Questions

Formal--wear socks with your sandals
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

When I am stuck like that, I try to bring a little black dress (or some other color) that could go either way. If everyone around me is casual, its not too dressy and if everyone is dressy it also fits that crowd too. Its a tough blend, but I find if I look at the my closet with that filter, some clothes I have can really fit into either crowd. I've had to defend a sundress at a shorts event (maybe this part belongs in the etiquette/what not to do vein!) and it was easy enough with 'its just a sundress'. I've also worn that same dress to something dressier and thanks to a shoe switch and some jewelry, it fit in there as well. I think a basic outfit, even slacks, with changes of shoes, jewelry, etc, can really go either way depending on the background of the crowd it is with.

This came from having a husband who would always say "I'm wearing a shirt and khakis". There is such a HUGE spectrum that can cover for us ladies!
    Last edited by Jamie5632; 08-21-2008 at 02:50 PM.
    Wag more, bark less

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3171194;
    Formal--wear socks with your sandals
    White for days, black for evenings, sports apparel logos NOT permitted

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3172927;
    White for days, black for evenings, sports apparel logos NOT permitted
    No athletic socks with colored bands at the top either!

Well, I always thought Formal meant FORMAL as in tux and gown.

But today it seems to mean, suit for the men, nice cocktail dress for the women.

I say go with the little black dress idea. You can't go wrong and that's why you always see women at events like this in black dresses.

(I really hate that men can wear the "khaki uniform" and it covers their every need)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3171177;
    When you're talking to a younger crowd "informal" means jeans and "formal" means no jeans or baseball caps. I've seen jeans at weddings and funerals. I wouldn't bring a long dress and pearls. A little black dress and fun costume jewelry would probably fit the bill.
    This was what I was thinking as well, so I'm hoping it's what they're thinking too.

Dressing up a little is something I rather like, actually. But dressing up in gowns is not me and it doens't seem like something for a conference for young people either, especially since it's at two of the events. So I will go for a nice dress or skirt/top and a bit more casual for the informal events (I only own one pair of jeans and I hardly wear them). Thanks for your thougths!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3173030;
    No athletic socks with colored bands at the top either!
    RATS!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3173030;
    Well, I always thought Formal meant FORMAL as in tux and gown.
    That's what I always thought formal was also.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3173045;
    RATS!

That's what I always thought formal was also.
    I guess the only one where there is no room for ambiguity is "White tie". That pretty much says EXACTLY what is expected for the dress. and I'm guessing not many of us will ever see THAT on an invitation.

Even the term "Business casual" is loosely defined. We had to tell people recently that "business casual" doesn't mean jeans, even nice ones.

I went to a wedding once where not only did a guy show up in jeans and an untucked shirt, but was barefoot.
    My husband and his co-worker both said: "and we thought we were underdressed because we didn't wear a jacket". They were both in dress slacks, dress shirts and ties, but it was hotter than hades, so they had forgone the jackets. I thought I was underdressed as I had forgone pantyhose with my dress because of the heat.
    I guess next time the invitations need to read: SHOES!!!!

The last event hubby and I went to that said "formal" was a mix of tuxes and business suits for the guys, and everything from long gowns to cocktail dresses for the ladies. I think if it says black tie formal you're supposed to wear a tux, but I have seen a lot of suits at those events as well. It depends on the city you are in as well. North Americans tend to be more informal (IMO)

I have also found that as I have gotten older, that I really want to be comfortable at all times, so I tend to do nice pants and shirt and that's about it. if I did receive something that was "formal" I would decline.

A few weeks ago I went to a Great Aunt's funeral and was a bit concerned that I would be a bit of a sore thumb, but the only ones in suits were Henriettas Son in law, grandson, my Dad, and Uncle Gene. Most of us had nice pants and polo shirts on. Oh and I refuse to wear a tucked in shirt anymore.

MRD

it was interesting to me to see the change in attire when we moved from Florida. Florida is SO casual and it's somewhat casual here, but you do not see the short and flip flops everywhere like you do in Florida. I see more people in what I term "business attire" than I used to see in Florida. You also see "business casual", but the men here tend to wear suits more and the women tend to dress a tad better as well. I think it helps that it isn't broiling hot 10 months out of the year here, so people are more comfortable in suits, etc. than you would be in Florida.

Gabriel, I don't tuck shirts in either. I try to buy shirts and blouses that are supposed to be untucked. Hides a multitude of sins.

I did find a black blazer recently which was exactly what I wanted, unlined, no shoulder pads and 60% off. I was told that I need to be a tad bit better dressed for the "events" I'll be working at the museum: wedding receptions, etc. when we rent the museum and a staff member must be present. So I thought that a black blazer worn over my many pair of black slacks with a nice blouse would work well. Well, they didn't phrase it like that and we wear "business casual" during museum hours, but I can understand where we need to be a little more better dressed and "professional" at the events. And since most of the people that work them say that having the black blazer, slacks or skirt also sets you apart from the caterers and guests, so that we are recognized as staff and listened too when we tell a drunk guest to get off the pigs!

+ Reply to Thread