+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 79 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: Etiquette Questions

FORT Newbie

Re: Etiquette Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3025717;
    My response would be along the lines of "His arm used to be normal, but he wore it down smacking dumbasses up-side their heads."
    I love this and can see myself using this one.....ok, I promise not to say it out loud but you can bet that I'll be thinking it everytime I get a rude question.

ncognito, , I believe I'd tell the kid that one so he can use it himself....ok, maybe he shouldn't actually use it until he's a little older, but I bet he would get a big laugh out of it. Yep, I'm the bad aunt--the one who spent time at the family thanksgiving bonding with the teenagers, seeing "who can make the best puking noise". Do not tell my Mom and Dad, or my sister either.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

My response would be along the lines of "His arm used to be normal, but he wore it down smacking dumbasses up-side their heads."
    Without a doubt, that is THE best response ever. I'm with Queenb, tell the boy so he can use it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3026210;
    Without a doubt, that is THE best response ever. I'm with Queenb, tell the boy so he can use it.
    I agree wholeheartedly -- AND give the kid a chocolate or a cookie or a beer (whatever would be the appropriate reward!) each time he uses that line!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

or "...dumbasses like you..." (sorry, I was referring to Newf's response)
    Last edited by famita; 05-28-2008 at 09:15 AM. Reason: edification

I have a rather large birthmark on the side of my face. About the size of my palm. It is dark brown. The comments about it have really tapered off as I've gotten older. Now about the only ones I hear are from small children along the lines of "Mommy, that lady has a dirty face". When I was younger though it seemed as if everyone had something to say and made me self-conscious.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Kids can really be mean. When I was in school I was called Dumbo because my ears stick out and Pinnochio because my nose is long and pointy. In Jr High they called me woody woodpecker, ski jump (my nose turns up a little at the tip) and all sorts of names. I hated being a kid, I really did! I now say, ha! to all the beautiful people who made fun of me because for the most part, I became a beautiful woman and they just aged!
    Yup, with donuts!!

I have a question regarding clothing. I'm attending a conference in a few weeks time. For day-time I don't think I'll have any problems to dress appropriately, I will wear what I wear to work, pretty much. But then there's night-time events as well, with dress-codes. They've only used Formal and Informal. I don't know what these dress-codes include, what I could wear.

What are the dress-codes of formal and informal? What would be an appropriate attire? The events that are informal are "games" and a cultural evening, whereas the formal events are dinner (a celebration dinner and a farewell dinner). I feel completely lost. Also, the conference is aimed at people under 35, however there will be older people (I suppose) as speakers. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

FORT Fogey

Formal and informal are such broad and non-telling descriptions of appropriate attire anymore that I think they should be required to be accompanied with a picture to show how "formal" is being defined. Is there any sort of host or coordinator you could call with questions who could give you a bit more direction on their definitions? Or, is it an event that happens every year where there may be pictures posted on a website somewhere of past years where you could get an idea of what people wore?

When you're talking to a younger crowd "informal" means jeans and "formal" means no jeans or baseball caps. I've seen jeans at weddings and funerals. I wouldn't bring a long dress and pearls. A little black dress and fun costume jewelry would probably fit the bill.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread