+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 79 FirstFirst ... 394041424344454647484950515253545556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: Etiquette Questions

Re: Etiquette Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2996065;
    These days, it seems like the gift obligation has grown from a token acknowledgement to an all out gift bonanza.
    It absolutely has. My daughter is graduating from HS next month and while we will be having a small party for close friends and family a lot of her friends parents are renting event halls and these kids are registering for gifts at Bed Bath & Beyond.
    CYA

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Someone I work with told me that she convinced her daughter to have a graduation party...the girl hadn't wanted one. But this woman told her daughter that people usually bring cash gifts to graduation parties, so then the daughter wanted one. She invited me to the kid's party and I said I couldn't come. Couldn't ... don't want to ... same difference at this point. I think it's incredibly tacky to tell me this. I think it's even worse to tell your child to throw a party so you can get money. FYI, I'm not friends with this woman and I've never even met this kid, so I don't even feel obligated to send a card.

I think the reason my parents didn't do things like this was because they hated the whole idea of "begging" for gifts. (Their words, not mine.) I don't think graduation parties are bad--and I'm going to one! I just hate it when things like this are given primarily to elicit gifts. (It's like when you're invited to a wedding for someone you barely know and you just KNOW they're hoping you won't come but will still feel obligated to send a gift.)

Actually, maybe I'll make a donation to my favorite charity in this kid's name. I won't feel bad about giving the money to the charity...and it might tick the kid off, too.

Oh...I'm so bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;2996128;
    It absolutely has. My daughter is graduating from HS next month and while we will be having a small party for close friends and family a lot of her friends parents are renting event halls and these kids are registering for gifts at Bed Bath & Beyond.
    Registering at a store for HS graduation?? Shallow if you ask me..
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

We had a graduation party at our house for our daughter when she graduated HS last year and hers was very low key compared to some of her classmates. Catered food at halls with bands.

She received everything from congrats cards to large amounts of cash. (And sent thank you notes to all! )

I agree Gabriel, registering is shallow, and tacky, and ....

My favorite gift to give, and I only do it for a select few, are "Help, I need cookies!!" postcards. I give them a half dozen stamped postcards, addressed to me, with several different types of cookies listed and they just have to check what they are craving and drop it in the mail. I bake them up and send them a care package at college.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;2996293;
    My favorite gift to give, and I only do it for a select few, are "Help, I need cookies!!" postcards. I give them a half dozen stamped postcards, addressed to me, with several different types of cookies listed and they just have to check what they are craving and drop it in the mail. I bake them up and send them a care package at college.
    Um, do FoRTers count as the select few? What a great idea! It's always such a treat to get home baked goodies!

Registering for a high school graduation? I would just ignore that, I think...

What an incredible idea Vejeer!! I'll have to remember that one....I hope you don't mind your idea being used elsewhere!
    Don't let the small things sweat

That is a wonderfully unique idea veejer. Since I do not bake I'll be arming my daughter with postcards addressed to Mrs. Fields.
    CYA

When I graduated from High School, our next door neighbor (who was an elderly man) sent me a Waterford Crystal ring holder. I received a lot of other gifts from both High School and College graduations, but I love his gift the most.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

When I graduated a few kids got lots of gifts, but for the most part people I graduated with got cards with 10 to 20 bucks inside, from only the closest family--parents and grandparents. I don't know of anyone who would have dared send annoncements to their parent's friends. If it were me, I'd only send a gift if I were super close with not just the parents but the kid too. If not, maybe a card--if they were lucky. Even if I did give money, I would think $25 plenty. I agree that too many weddings, birthdays, and graduations have become excuses to shamelessly troll for lots and lots of gifts, and not just token gifts either.
    Last edited by queenb; 05-15-2008 at 07:47 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Everything in life does not warrant a gift. Whatever happened to doing something simply because it was a requirement of life? Guess that shows my age.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread