+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 79 FirstFirst ... 383940414243444546474849505152535455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: Etiquette Questions

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Re: Etiquette Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2994879;
    I've never heard of graduation gifts from anyone but the parents myself. Maybe it's something we don't do up here in the Great White North. Any other Canadians care to weigh in and enlighten us?
    I grew up in the Midwest and we didn't do that either. Maybe it's a relatively new custom? I am older than dirt! I don't think anyone gave me anything for graduating other than my parents (a new watch and a new purse, which I still have!). They also paid for my attending university, so I have them to thank for that as well. I didn't have a car until I could afford to buy one, insure myself and pay all the related bills for maintaining a car. Honestly, I never felt deprived!

famita, good job! You did a very nice thing and I'm sure they appreciate it.

I am pretty sure it is more of a thing in the States. My daughter graduates this year (my elder two years ago) and only immediate family gave gifts and we didn't send out notices. My in-laws (my MIL is American) always receive notices from their American relatives. Although, I could be totally out to lunch in this regard

I have 19 nieces and nephews, but I only remember two birthdays and one birth year. Without notices, I wouldn't have a chance at guessing graduations
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2995184;
    I grew up in the Midwest and we didn't do that either. Maybe it's a relatively new custom? I am older than dirt! I don't think anyone gave me anything for graduating other than my parents (a new watch and a new purse, which I still have!). They also paid for my attending university, so I have them to thank for that as well. I didn't have a car until I could afford to buy one, insure myself and pay all the related bills for maintaining a car. Honestly, I never felt deprived!

famita, good job! You did a very nice thing and I'm sure they appreciate it.
    MILWAUKEE, WI here: (midwesterner)All I got was my diploma, turned in my cap and gown, went home and got up the next morning and went to work.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2995307;
    MILWAUKEE, WI here: (midwesterner)All I got was my diploma, turned in my cap and gown, went home and got up the next morning and went to work.
    ditto here... It wasn't something that was very celebrated in my family either. It was expected that you would graduate.

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;2995333;
    ditto here... It wasn't something that was very celebrated in my family either. It was expected that you would graduate.
    and go into the work force. (I was already at a full time job 3 years when I graduated high school at 17.)(If college was a desire, pay for it yourself.)
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

It was expected that I graduate but my parents did throw me a nice family dinner/party and I got presents from family..money, watch, small items.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I have a lot of cousins, and my mother usually sends them a few bucks for their graduations. I think my aunts and uncles did the same when I graduated.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2992295;
    I think that is definitely the case in some instances. In that respect, it's along the lines of a "in lieu of flowers ..." line in an obit, which I find totally appropriate. But there are other cases where I've been left with the impression that it's done in more of a "Aren't we so wonderful? Look at how selfless we are" where I've been left with the impression that they would keep tabs. It's definitely all in the presentation.
    In the case of this particular couple, I know how much they have struggled with her son's illness and how much St. Jude's helped them through it. I find it extremely selfless of them to ask people to donate to St. Jude's children's hospital and I am glad to do it for them.

I don't think the donation to charity line in the invitation was tacky. They have everything they will ever need and I think most people do want to give gifts and this way a worthy cause that means something special to them will benefit from it.

I graduated in 1980 and I received many graduation gifts from family and friends. Maybe it's more of a Southern custom. It's always been something that I've seen done all my life.
    Last edited by MRD; 05-14-2008 at 04:08 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

I got a few token gifts when I graduated, but it seems like things have really gone beyond token recently. The only really nice gifts I got were from my parents, grandmother, and my mom's best friend who is like a second mom to me. From other people, I got either basic simple stuff for college (like a cheap clock radio) or token things like a simple book or something. These days, it seems like the gift obligation has grown from a token acknowledgement to an all out gift bonanza.

+ Reply to Thread