+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 79 FirstFirst ... 353637383940414243444546474849505152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: Etiquette Questions

Re: Etiquette Questions

Thanks mrd. I think I'm going to do that. Mr buglover has informed me her mother has agreed to get her a used car for college, however her mother tends to go back on her word on a whim. I am so proud of her. She was born 3 months early and not breathing. The doctor said she would most likely be brain damaged and need help her whole life. She's smart and beautiful and has nothing wrong with her. She's truly a miracle and is grateful for every day of her life. I aspire to have her outlook at time.
    Yup, with donuts!!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2931552;
    Thanks mrd. I think I'm going to do that. Mr buglover has informed me her mother has agreed to get her a used car for college, however her mother tends to go back on her word on a whim. I am so proud of her. She was born 3 months early and not breathing. The doctor said she would most likely be brain damaged and need help her whole life. She's smart and beautiful and has nothing wrong with her. She's truly a miracle and is grateful for every day of her life. I aspire to have her outlook at time.
    What a wonderful young woman! And you sound like a wonderful stepmom, too! I agree with MRD. I think she'll appreciate a gift/check and a personal note. How sweet of you to worry about upstaging her mother...most women wouldn't be as thoughtful!

I know this is late, but I agree with MRD. She is the etiquette queen. buglover, you are an amazingly caring woman. What a wonderful stepmother you are. You just be your own thoughtful self.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2934173;
    I know this is late, but I agree with MRD. She is the etiquette queen. buglover, you are an amazingly caring woman. What a wonderful stepmother you are. You just be your own thoughtful self.
    Not the queen, but I have sure had my share of it drilled in me by 2 grandmothers, a mother and several great-aunts. I was also sent to something called Charm School. Don't laugh, I really was. I hated it, but its amazing that what I've learned from all those sources has served me well. I still resent that I wasn't sent to cotillion classes like my brothers. I got charm school instead.

And the ONE thing that has stuck with me is the ability to write a gracious note for any occasion.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I'm still chuckling over the ATM at a wedding reception. I would have been tempted to use it in order to get cash for me, not for the wedding. As my dear mother would say, "How crass!" It makes me think of getting one (for a joke) for the rehearsal dinner filled with monopoly money. I bet that would go over well!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by famita;2934536;
    I'm still chuckling over the ATM at a wedding reception. I would have been tempted to use it in order to get cash for me, not for the wedding. As my dear mother would say, "How crass!" It makes me think of getting one (for a joke) for the rehearsal dinner filled with monopoly money. I bet that would go over well!
    That's an idea Famita.

Yeah, in our family I can hear my female relatives saying: how tacky.

Did you know the word tacky comes from an old English word meaning "common"????
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2934559;
    Did you know the word tacky comes from an old English word meaning "common"????
    That's funny that you mention that. Mike's mom uses the word "common" when she is talking about someone being tacky. She's from Maryland so it might be regional.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Wedding and H.S. Graduation gift question

Can you guys offer some advice on this...

1) I've been invited to a wedding that will be followed by a reception that day (with a sit-down lunch or dinner--I can't remember which, but it's basically the same food...not a buffet). The same couple invited me to attend a reception a few weeks later, that also will be a sit-down dinner. I'll be going to both the wedding/reception and then the sit-down dinner a few weeks later. I know I'm supposed to give a gift for the wedding...but am I supposed to bring a gift to the dinner a few weeks later as well? The second dinner is a celebratory wedding dinner and not just a "hey let's get together" meal. (I'll be giving the couple cash, as that is what they need the most, and they're not registered anywhere.)

2) I've been invited to a high school graduation party for a non-family member. What is an appropriate amount to spend on an 18-year-old kid? (He's a good kid with parents that I like. I'm not best friends with the parents but they're nice people.) I asked the mom what the kid would like, and she said that he'd like money the most, which he plans on using when he starts college for pizza, books etc.

Thanks in advance everyone!

1- Gift for wedding day only

2- He would probably like gift certificates to a local pizza place... I know I would
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Fogey

I agree with Gabriel on both counts. One marriage, one gift. I never ever bring a gift to the wedding itself -- I always mail it directly to the recipient ahead of time so they don't have to worry about transporting it from the reception. I've never in my life felt akward walking into a reception (either immediately following the wedding or a few weeks later) without a gift in hand. There are enough variations of getting the gift to a couple that I don't think it's a problem at all to bring it to one of the events and not worry about the other.

On the graduation gift, I'd definitely do a gift card to anywhere or straight cash.

+ Reply to Thread