+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 79 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Etiquette Questions

MRD

Re: Etiquette Questions

Gabriel, I like your idea about it fitting Rosie the dog.

Buglover, I know, I would NEVER buy clothes for anyone as a gift. I don't buy them for my own kid that LIVES with me as I can never pick out anything she would like or get the size right. What kills me is that this same SIL has sent my daughter a gift card to either Gap or Old Navy or Target for the past 10 years. This is the first time in AGES, she's sent a regular gift and not a gift card.

Oh well, who knows, she's a strange one anyway.
    Daughter sent a very nice thank you and didn't mention that it didn't fit.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2907124;
    Gabriel, I like your idea about it fitting Rosie the dog.

Buglover, I know, I would NEVER buy clothes for anyone as a gift. I don't buy them for my own kid that LIVES with me as I can never pick out anything she would like or get the size right. What kills me is that this same SIL has sent my daughter a gift card to either Gap or Old Navy or Target for the past 10 years. This is the first time in AGES, she's sent a regular gift and not a gift card.

Oh well, who knows, she's a strange one anyway.
    Daughter sent a very nice thank you and didn't mention that it didn't fit.
    I bet SIL got if from someone as a gift and regifted it....

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2907131;
    I bet SIL got if from someone as a gift and regifted it....
    Probably. One year, I made a lovely gift basket for her and my brother. I put in gourmet coffee and some biscotti and some gourmet mixes for some other treats. I actually got everything but the coffee regifted to me several months later and when I said: "hey, this is the stuff I gave YOU for Christmas", I thought she would DIE! It was so funny seeing her face. Of course, that was the last Christmas gift I did give them because it also kind of pissed me off.
    I MADE gorgeous hand painted tins for several people that year and filled them with these goodies. EVERYONE else raved and raved and raved about them. Some even offered to pay me to make more so they could give them as gifts and several friends urged me to go in business (wasn't interested at the time, I actually like being able to make things as gifts and until this time, everything was usually well received by everyone). In fact, that same year, I went to one of those Christmas parties with the funky gift exchange where you can steal the gift or take one from under the tree (I've heard them called various names) and I took one of these treat tins and it was the gift that got stolen the most times and the girl that ended up with it, jumped up yelling YES!!!!!! when she got it. So they were not crappy homemade gifts either.

Not one word either way about the gift from SIL and then she gives it BACK to me.

Can you tell I still haven't gotten over it? I know, let it go, breathe in, breathe out.

I swear she pulls crap like this just to get to me.

LoisLane: I would probably invite the "invisible boyfriend" as you are fairly sure he wouldn't attend anyway. Do you think that maybe your girlfriend is dating a married man? Good reason not to bring him to anything. JMO.

PGM: Im so glad you posted that! I think it's rude for your friends to start leaving you out of things and assume you know about them. It could just be that everyone's busy and thinks you know the same things they know about. Also, there's probably some politics going on with someone (not you) and you are caught in the middle. I dont' understand why people can't be nice and honest to each other.

myrosiedog: Your daughter did the nice thing. A thank you was in order and any attempt to get the right size would have drawn out into something else. That was funny about the regifting your own gift!! One should always put a name on who the original gift was from so that doesn't happen.

---------

My evil twin sinister was very upset the other day. She's been experiencing the same kind of rude men and women at work. She is not social with them at all outside of the office, but they will talk in front of her as if she isn't there, assumes she knows things that are going on at the office when she is the last to know and feels embarassed. These are not people she wants to be friends with, but it's very hard working in a place where your fellow employees just aren't polite, consciencous, kind, appreciative, considerate and you are. She will always do tthese hings for these staff members but they never reciprocate. She takes it so personally. She knows she can't change the way they are. I don't like to see her so sad.

Question: If you re-send a joke or funny to the person you received it from (because you are brain-dead), is it re-mailing? Is that rude?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I wouldn't say that it is re-mailing. It's simply a brain fart at the moment!

mrd, your daughter sounds like a wonderful girl. A very mature one. I also wish I had your talents for creating things that people rave about. The effort and thought you put in with the results you get are so wonderful.

MRD

Miss Kitty, I agree with Canadian Angel, it's a brain fart and not re-mailing.

Thanks all for the comments about my daughter. She is a good kid and was "raised right"

And thanks for saying what you did about my hand made gifts. I truly do love to make things for people (that appreciate them) which is why my SIL and brother are no longer on my gift list. I have had friends and other family say they can't wait for Christmas to see what I'm going to make that year. That is a really special feeling to know that people actually look forward to your handmade items and get disappointed if you buy something instead. Then there is always one and believe me, no matter the situation or topic, my SIL manages to ALWAYS be THE one, whichever one that is, that is always against the crowd. And the bad thing is that she was not always this way. She used to be a really great person and a lot of fun, very creative herself and always everyone's cheerleader. Since my mother has died, she has changed a TON and now see's herself as the "Miss Ellie" in my family's poor version of "Dallas". And believe me, Miss Ellie she is NOT.

Anyone watch Rich Bride, Poor Bride? Each show they do a couple planning their wedding/day of and try to stay under budget. They have a wedding planner..seems like most of these weddings are around $30,000. Anyway, one couple yesterday had a "money box" at their reception AND RENTED AN ATM. I kid you not. AND stuck some bows on it.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Premium Member

Oh dear Lord! I saw that show but didn't watch. I used to love watching Bridezillas the first season when they were planning those 6-figure weddings and trying to keep the flower budget down to $5000.

myrosiedog - My MIL used to send me tops and sweaters that were just the opposite - somewhere around a 3X or4X. It was her way of insulting me by implying she thought I was fat without actually opening her mouth.

MRD

If you buy a gift for a friend and then decide to give that gift to another friend, is that regifting? or alternative gifting? Is that bad?

I bought a gift for one friend and then decided to give her something else, so I gave the first gift to another friend. The original gift was actually fairly nice and worked for both women. But I later saw something else for the first friend I liked better, so the 2nd friend got the first gift.
    No one knows about this (but you guys now)

LG.

I think that your situation sounds like "buying two people gifts" which is a nice thing (or rather, two nice things) for you to do. Hopefully we don't need to have our intent scruntized and have "pure hearts" in order to be polite these days.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

+ Reply to Thread