+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 79 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142434445464748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Etiquette Questions

Re: Etiquette Questions

Thanks guys, that makes me feel better. There's so few safe place online for young ones to go.

Dux, how did the "netiquette" talk go?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

lets see, she cried, promised and begged. So all in all.. a job well done!

We told her just how serious this breach was. We knew she was trying to share and the girl was a friend but next time it could be a person pretending to be a friend who can actually hurt her. (like those bad people who take kids just to touch them in their private areas mom?) Yeah them.
    We didn't ground her, losing her webkinz was probably punishment enough. I doubt she'll do anything like that again.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2868925;
    I think I know what the answer is to this question but I just don't want to do it so I'm hoping one of you will chime in and say it'd be polite for me to be rude If you know that your friend has a boyfriend or girlfriend, do you have to invite them both if you're having a celebration (e.g. a birthday party or something like that)? I'm guessing the polite thing is yes, but I have one friend who has a boyfriend I have yet to meet (and they've been dating for 2 years)...and I really don't want to invite the boyfriend. (Long story.)

My boyfriend hardly ever goes to me to these types of things. He always gets invited though. If I really want the company of a 2some or need him to drive me home, I "make" him go. Just a little pleading, nothing major. He usually ends up enjoying himself.

However, if it was a close friend of yours, and I'm sure said girlfriend knows the long story, and you are sure he wouldn't come to the party as you haven't met him in 2 years and I'm assuming he's been invited to the same functions that you have, then I would "forget" his invitation. If she asks, can he come with, then of course he can but 9 times out of the 10, he won't, so you probably have nothing to worry about. I'm sure this doesn't answer the question!

My issue is that my "so-called" friends have been "not" inviting me to things lately. Hurts my feelings and I've asked about it. Some say, oh, we forgot. Or we thought so-and-so was sending you a message. It was awkward at the last get together b/c I got an invite but didn't know who else was invited. I didnt' want to ask anyone else if they were going because I didn't know who was invited. Then after being there, the hostess says, oh gosh, I forgot so and so. Well, I've been the so and so in these scenarios, so I know how it feels!! i guess I take it too personally when I am "forgotten". These are usually girl only or single type of things which I've gone to some, not all. So I'm not the person who always gets invited and never shows. I go most of the time and interact and have fun and seems like everyone else does too. There are a couple of girls who I just don't like but that doesnt' stop me from going but it may be the reason for them "forgetting" me. Oh well, not really an issue - just a rant. Thanks for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35;2903364;
    My boyfriend hardly ever goes to me to these types of things. He always gets invited though. If I really want the company of a 2some or need him to drive me home, I "make" him go. Just a little pleading, nothing major. He usually ends up enjoying himself.

However, if it was a close friend of yours, and I'm sure said girlfriend knows the long story, and you are sure he wouldn't come to the party as you haven't met him in 2 years and I'm assuming he's been invited to the same functions that you have, then I would "forget" his invitation. If she asks, can he come with, then of course he can but 9 times out of the 10, he won't, so you probably have nothing to worry about. I'm sure this doesn't answer the question!

My issue is that my "so-called" friends have been "not" inviting me to things lately. Hurts my feelings and I've asked about it. Some say, oh, we forgot. Or we thought so-and-so was sending you a message. It was awkward at the last get together b/c I got an invite but didn't know who else was invited. I didnt' want to ask anyone else if they were going because I didn't know who was invited. Then after being there, the hostess says, oh gosh, I forgot so and so. Well, I've been the so and so in these scenarios, so I know how it feels!! i guess I take it too personally when I am "forgotten". These are usually girl only or single type of things which I've gone to some, not all. So I'm not the person who always gets invited and never shows. I go most of the time and interact and have fun and seems like everyone else does too. There are a couple of girls who I just don't like but that doesnt' stop me from going but it may be the reason for them "forgetting" me. Oh well, not really an issue - just a rant. Thanks for your time!
    Oops - my post probably should have been posted to the Relationship Challenged thread. Sorry!

MRD

PGM, I've recently had that problem with some of my friends too. And it hurts. But mine now live 2 states away, so it isn't as huge a problem. But they are still doing it to me with an annual cruise. When I moved, they vowed we'd all get together once a year for a girls trip and yet, they've done it and have yet to ask me and then want to tell me all about it and I don't want to hear it.
    One sent me the pictures and then asked if I had looked at them. (they were online). I finally got the guts to say: "No, I didn't look. It's really hard on me seeing the two of you having such a good time when I can't go." She hasn't really spoken to me since then. Oh well, I've got other friends now, so I shouldn't let it bother me, but it does. But it seems as if it's not bothering me as much now.

I wish I had a better answer for you. But I guess I'm just empathizing as it's happened to me as well. Hugs.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks MRD. Most times I find out about said events because of the pics posted online. It feels like high school when only the "cool" kids get invited or are in the "know". I could be in the "know" as well if I was a nag and kept sending texts and leaving messages as to what is going on and where will everyone be, but I'm not like that. I just like to be invited. I've said as much and now it seems like a joke on me when I'm not. Others say it has nothign to do with me but that I'm friends or on talking basis with some of the "outcasts" - long story - but that doens't mean I'd bring them with me!!!! LOL Women (girls?) can be cruel even into adulthood and most of it is based on jealousy and insecurity. I know that but still, it does hurt to be left out. And for no good reason that I know of as well.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35;2905651;
    Thanks MRD. Most times I find out about said events because of the pics posted online. It feels like high school when only the "cool" kids get invited or are in the "know". I could be in the "know" as well if I was a nag and kept sending texts and leaving messages as to what is going on and where will everyone be, but I'm not like that. I just like to be invited. I've said as much and now it seems like a joke on me when I'm not. Others say it has nothign to do with me but that I'm friends or on talking basis with some of the "outcasts" - long story - but that doens't mean I'd bring them with me!!!! LOL Women (girls?) can be cruel even into adulthood and most of it is based on jealousy and insecurity. I know that but still, it does hurt to be left out. And for no good reason that I know of as well.
    Boy, I could have written that post. I don't understand why some women have to act like highschool still and exclude people. I've finally reached a point where if that is the type of group I'm with, I really dont' want to hang with them anymore.
    While I have quite a few women friends and aquaitances, I really do prefer hanging out with guys. No games (well unless its a corporate sponsored sporting event. ), everyone's invited and they don't look at you funny if your polish is chipped or your hair is in a scrunchie. And honestly, I've had a lot more fun with the guys at a party than I usually do with the women. Always have.
    But I do still crave female companionship as well and like having girlfriends to do stuff with. But man, us woman can be a cruel lot at times, you're right.

I feel badly that you are experiencing this. I have too and I know it hurts.

Etiquette question of the day:
    My teenage daughter's birthday was yesterday. My SIL sent her a gift (she has sent gift cards for years and they always go over well. Well she sent my daughter a rather expensive blouse this year. But its WAY too small and I mean like several sizes. It's not like she couldn't have called or emailed me to ask the size and she's seen my daughter as recently as Oct., so she would have seen that she is not even close to this size.

My daughter doesn't know what to do. The store its from is not located in our state, so she can't take it back. And she can't wear it. She plans on sending a thank you card to her aunt and uncle, but I told her not to mention that it didn't fit as I think that would be tacky.

But on the other hand, this is not the first time she's done this. She routinely used to give me gifts of clothing that did not fit and I later found out that she was doing this trying to subtly encourage me to lose weight-she got drunk and told me this one night and it really hurt my feelings. I am thinking she's now doing this to my daughter and I'm really angry. Part of me wants to tell her to mind her own business, part of me is angry because it did kind of disappoint my daughter and I want to tell her that, but part of me just wants to let it go and move on.
    What to do?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Well, it looks like you have some choices.

A wonderful thank you note with the message that it was too small. (any chance that she intentionally bought it too small or maybe it was a gift to her and she was just passing it forward? Or maybe her mind is slipping and she truly doesn't realize. I hope not, but you never know)

A wonderful thank you note not mentioning the size.

A wonderful thank you note explaining that since it was too small, you're going to use it to quilt/outfit for the puppies/hair thingies/dust rags.

I would probably just send a thank you and leave it at that. You can't do anything about anyone else's ignorance.

Two choices:

1-Send the thank you and forget it.
    2- Send a thank you and say it would look wonderful on teenrosiedog if it was the right size, but it fits the REAL rosie just fine.....

I would send a thank you and just buy your daughter something she will like.

I never purchase clothes for friends or family anymore. If I know they want something from a particular store, I'll send them a gift card for that store so that they may purchase the exact thing they want.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread