+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast

Thread: Etiquette Questions

Quote Originally Posted by RealityDiva;2460306;
    I'm glad I found this thread, because I will be Mid-Year graduating in January of 2010. I really would love to send out something to my friends and family, but my parents thought it would be better to do it with everyone else, despite the fact that I would have graduated 5 months earlier...?
    RealityDiva, having just gone through graduation with my daughter, my thoughts are if you wait, you won't bother doing it, especially if you are going on to college right away.

Here was our timeline:

Late May - sent out announcements, with pictures in all, and invitations to an open house to those who live fairly close. (This was later than we planned because of issues with graduation pictures. **)

Friday, June 1 - graduation

Saturday, June 9 - Open House

Saturday, June 16 - Senior Recital (flute)

Tuesday/Wednesday, June 19-20 - University Orientation and Registration

Once she did the OReg deal at college, she moved on and all thoughts of high school fled her brain.

**I advise getting senior pictures done about 6 months before graduation. That way if there are problems, you have time to work them out. We waited a little too late and were sweating bullets waiting for them. Also, some of my daughter's friend's got them done at the end of their junior year and regretted having done it so early.

Re: Etiquette Questions

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

Since we're already talking about graduation and such, I have a few things that are kind of bugging me about graduating early...

-Yearbook + yearbook signing: They don't pass out yearbooks until the end of the year, and the seniors get a whole period off just to sign yearbooks. The only thing I could think of to solve the issue of not getting a yearbook, is to get a copy of LAST year's yearbook and have people sign that during our first exam week in January. Maybe my younger sister could pick up my yearbook for me in June?

-Cap + Gown: I don't have an older sibling who has been to this school, so we don't have a cap and gown yet. Should I directly order one from the company, or do you think they will give us the option of ordering and picking up before we graduate?

-Colleges wanting "as many classes as you can take": I don't mean to brag, but I do really well in school. Right now, I have higher than a 4.0 GPA [If you take multiple honors classes, you can get a higher GPA]. But, I've noticed some schools that say 'we want you to take as many classes as possible' and I wouldn't want the fact that I took 4 less classes to hinder any possibility of me getting into a good school. I would still be taking the amount needed to graduate, I'd just be getting out before everyone due to correct placing and timing of classes.

So much to think about
    Currently Loving: Mystery from The Pickup Artist
    Currently Excited About: The modeling competition that I'm in! Wish me luck, guys...
    *Runner Up in the Kyle XY Caption Contest! Whoo!*

FORT Fanatic

Why not wait till the books come out in May and if possible get one you will be in that one right? Because you are there till Dec? If so get it then and come back to visit and attend the period signing!
    Order the cap and gown and some places will rent them too.

Don't burn out on classes, you will get in a great place you are smart and hard working. Pace yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by RealityDiva;2466242;
    -Cap + Gown: I don't have an older sibling who has been to this school, so we don't have a cap and gown yet. Should I directly order one from the company, or do you think they will give us the option of ordering and picking up before we graduate?

I'm not sure how schools do it anymore, although I will find out this year as I have a son who is going to start his senior year in August.

When I was in school, they carved out a time one day to get fitted for the cap and gown. Everyone ordered them from the company that came to the school because we got a discount. I think I ended up paying $11 or $12 for both items. Is there anyone you know who was a senior last year that can advise you about all these things? I think that would be a good way to go....ask someone who recently went through this at your school.

Congrats on the great grades!

-Colleges wanting "as many classes as you can take": I don't mean to brag, but I do really well in school. Right now, I have higher than a 4.0 GPA [If you take multiple honors classes, you can get a higher GPA]. But, I've noticed some schools that say 'we want you to take as many classes as possible' and I wouldn't want the fact that I took 4 less classes to hinder any possibility of me getting into a good school. I would still be taking the amount needed to graduate, I'd just be getting out before everyone due to correct placing and timing of classes.
    Don't you apply for college during your junior year? Even if the colleges look at your planned coursework, I'd think the fact that you're graduating early would work in your favor. Plus, you have that high GPA in your favor too.

If you're worried about not having as many courses as others, why not take a few classes at a local junior college during that Spring semester? That way, you could get your feet wet and get an idea of what to expect in the fall. OR - you could find a worthwhile charity and make a plan to do lots of volunteer work during that time. Admissions officers would look favorably on that and you'd get something out of it too!

I don't know what to tell you about the cap and gown. I remember renting the gown and buying the mortarboard for high school graduation. I'm sure someone at the school could tell you which company is doing the caps and gowns for your school. When I graduated from college this spring, we had to buy everything and MAN, was that gown made out of the cheapest fabric on the planet! Not only was it cut poorly, but it was HOT. Also, it was so flimsy that I could actually hold it up and see right through it (it's black). I felt like I was wearing a sack cloth.

I like the idea someone had about just arranging to come to campus when everyone else is getting their yearbooks signed.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

when i graduated (many many moons ago ), our school provided the company, they came in one day and everyone got fitted, and we RENTED the gowns, which arrived a couple of weeks before graduation. we didn't have an option to buy them, nor could we get our own from another company. my graduating class was only 58 students (very small town) so maybe they thought if people used different companies, it would be more noticeable? who knows.

we were able to keep our caps though.

when my daughter graduated in 2004, we were required to BUY her gown. i didn't bother asking if we could find something cheaper with another company. by that time i was just anxious to get the expensive senior year over with!

I like the idea someone had about just arranging to come to campus when everyone else is getting their yearbooks signed.
    I like that idea as well, but by the time June rolled around, I'd be long gone from Charlotte. I'm planning on traveling in Europe or doing a US roadtrip for a few months after I graduate. Even if I don't end up doing that, I've already planned to move so I can go to school out of state.

And barefootdyke the only problem about ordering along with the rest of the class [Which is like, 1,000 people...] is that they only deliver one time, and that is before the June graduation.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, I'm writing them down in my planner and showing them to my parents!

Luckily, I thought about these things beforehand... If not, I would have too many things to do once graduation time came!
    Currently Loving: Mystery from The Pickup Artist
    Currently Excited About: The modeling competition that I'm in! Wish me luck, guys...
    *Runner Up in the Kyle XY Caption Contest! Whoo!*

MRD

Well after yesterday I have finally decided on the wording for my daughter's HS graduation notices:

"The Know it All has graduated from High School. She has graduated early as, well, she knows it ALL!. Not sure about continuing education because as someone who already knows it all, I'm sure that she doesn't need to go on to college. If anyone needs any questions answered, just ask the know it all, I'm sure she will be happy to oblige. Warning, attitude does come with the answers."

Those of you with teenagers will completely understand this! Yesterday she was being such a brat I just wanted to flipping slap her silly. Or at least slap some of that "know it all" out of her. Argh. We had such a nice day together on Fri. I mean, one of those just fabulous days and then on Mon, the complete opposite.

I am thinking of calling photographers to see if any of them have cap and gowns as props and having a professional picture taken to include in the announcements. I know she won't really be wearing one as there won't be a ceremony, but at least this kind of gives ME a little bit of what its like. She doesn't mind. But I don't know. What do you guys think? Regular picture or cap and gown pic?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2478058;
    I am thinking of calling photographers to see if any of them have cap and gowns as props and having a professional picture taken to include in the announcements. I know she won't really be wearing one as there won't be a ceremony, but at least this kind of gives ME a little bit of what its like. She doesn't mind. But I don't know. What do you guys think? Regular picture or cap and gown pic?
    My initial thought was that even if she says now that she doesn't mind if it's with cap and gown or not, maybe when she gets older she'll feel different. Maybe you could do pictures with both, so at least you'll have some pictures with the cap and gown, you and she might miss them in the future and then it'll be too late.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;2478059;
    My initial thought was that even if she says now that she doesn't mind if it's with cap and gown or not, maybe when she gets older she'll feel different. Maybe you could do pictures with both, so at least you'll have some pictures with the cap and gown, you and she might miss them in the future and then it'll be too late.
    Good idea. Thanks
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread