+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 79 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767 ... LastLast

Thread: Etiquette Questions

Re: Etiquette Questions

Ah, finally back on the internet after being gone a week. I feel so out of touch!

I wanted to share a little of the etiquette experiences that my husband and I have been exposed to in the past week. For anyone who doesn't know why I've away for a week, hubby and I have been moving into our new house which is basically a cross between a bedroom community and a suburb of the larger city of Albuquerque, where we've lived for years. Where we've moved to is a quieter, more peaceful community where people seem more relaxed and less stressed than their metro counterparts. Things just feel so much more peaceful here, we love it.

Since we've moved in, we've had some neighbors on the same street who have left welcome baskets for us (home-baked goodies, a home sewn light blanket, packages of batteries (the note said it's one thing people forget a lot when moving and have new gagdets or whatever needing new batteries), an offer to wash our car by a 14-yr old neighbor girl, lists of local favorite restaurants and other stores, phone numbers of the neighbors), and things like that. If a neighbor is outside when we are, they or us make sure to introduce ourselves. A couple of older married couples invited us to come have lunch and/or dinner with them for a couple of days until we get our kitchen furnished and set up so we can cook again (as opposed to the take-out food we've been eating during the move). And several other nice gestures from the neighbors. It's really made us feel welcomed and certain we've moved to the right community. And it's so nice to know that entire streets of people still remember Welcome Wagon's from years back, or at least know the idea behind it. So far, these people seem like good neighbors.

As soon as the weather warms up a bit, we're going to have a backyard bbq and invite the neighbors on the street to it to thank them. Meanwhile, we've sent personal thank you notes to all of them, and made sure to tell them what a wonderful impression they make on a new resident here!
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Sounds like you picked a great neighborhood to live in.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I love that neighborhood.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Wow, I wish we had neighbors like that! Baskets of goodies?!! Around here we would have to test them for poison...not really but sort of..lol
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2833389;
    ...Since we've moved in, we've had some neighbors on the same street who have left welcome baskets for us (home-baked goodies, a home sewn light blanket, packages of batteries (the note said it's one thing people forget a lot when moving and have new gagdets or whatever needing new batteries), an offer to wash our car by a 14-yr old neighbor girl, lists of local favorite restaurants and other stores, phone numbers of the neighbors), and things like that. If a neighbor is outside when we are, they or us make sure to introduce ourselves. A couple of older married couples invited us to come have lunch and/or dinner with them for a couple of days until we get our kitchen furnished and set up so we can cook again (as opposed to the take-out food we've been eating during the move). And several other nice gestures from the neighbors. It's really made us feel welcomed and certain we've moved to the right community. ..

Wow. That sure sounds like you hit the jackpot on picking a great neighborhood with super nice neighbors!!

My new neighbors said they would have me over for dinner because I cleared their corner sidewalk with my snowblower at -40C. I am still waiting for the invite.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Don't hold your breath......
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2828672;
    You are exactly right about that. I am a lot of fun on trips. I pay my way, I don't complain (much), I find fun stuff to do, I stay up late. I think I'm a good trip goer. Their loss.

Come with me Vonna and let's go somewhere fun!
    Next time you're in California, give me a call.
    We'll show our "friends" what fun is
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

MRD

Man, I want to live in that neighborhood! Good for you Nemeses. What a great neighborhood to move into. I'm sure it will be a nice place for your whole family.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2833569;
    My new neighbors said they would have me over for dinner because I cleared their corner sidewalk with my snowblower at -40C. I am still waiting for the invite.
    You know...I really wish people would just say "thank you" and leave it at that if they have no intention of following up on their invitations. One woman has told me several times that they were going to have us over for dinner to thank us for helping with their snow or whatever else needed done etc. I knew it would never happen. And it hasn't. :nono Whatever. That's OK. I just wish she'd stop saying that. I think it's rude to offer an invitation that you're never going to follow through on.

Nemeses, congrats! Sounds like an awesome neighborhood! I bake cookies for all our new neighbors... They seem to like that.

Nemeses, sounds like you hit the jackpot! That's great.

+ Reply to Thread