+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winning contests

MRD

Winning contests

OK, anyone have any tips for winning call in radio contests? I've been trying to win tickets to a concert for a week now. Everytime I call in when you're supposed to call in, I always get a busy signal. I have NEVER gotten through, even to be told I'm the wrong caller. I use speed dial and redial too.

The reason I ask is that my husband has a co-worker that is ALWAYS winning stuff by calling in to radio stations. He says he's "just lucky".

I guess I'm NOT lucky at all.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Re: Winning contests

Sometimes MRD they do these contests at certain times...like six minutes after the hour or some weird time like that. I used to work with this one girl who had it down to a science. She would get ready and dial in six of the seven numbers and then at like minute 5 and 59 seconds dial the last digit of the phone number. (These were pre redial phones!) She did seem to win quite a few contests though.

I never have any luck with these kind of contests either!

What concert are you trying for?

What I do is I have the number for my favorite station in my speed dial on my cell phone so I'll call it before hand and hang up. That way, when it comes time for the contest, all I have to do is hit talk again. This doesn't work very often but I've won my share of contests. In fact I just won tickets to a concert yesterday evening. It's just a matter of having patience and sometimes what I do (what I did yesterday) is I use my land line and my cell phone so I'm calling from 2 different phones. I figure one of them is bound to get through. Like I said, you have to have patience and you have to have a speedy redial. (Some phones redials are slower than others.)
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

My mom wins tons of call-in contests. She claims that you don't call in as soon as they say to because everyone blocks each other's calls. She calmly counts to three (1 mississippi- 2 mississippi,etc) and then dials. She may just be lucky, but she does win a lot.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

This reminds me of a funny scene from Grace Under Fire. She was calling a classical music station to win opera tickets, and had to be the tenth caller. The first time she called, she was caller #1. She waited a few seconds, and was caller #2. Her friend advised her to count to ten, and then call again. She was caller #3. She asked the DJ if they should continue the charade, or if he'd just give her the tickets
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Oh, thanks for the tips. I'm actually trying to win 2 different ones.

They are giving away both Elton John Tickets and Volunteer Jam 2007 tickets (The Charlie Daniels Band, Marshall Tucker Band and The Outlaws).

I thought the times where random, but I'll listen more carefully to when they do it and see if there's a pattern. I have the number programmed in, but I'll try these other ways too. Wish me luck!

(My luck, I would win Power Tool Tuesday and get a gift card to a tool company rather than concert tickets. Although Hubby would be happy )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I know this doesn't answer your question, but it reminded me of my grandfather who always won door prizes. He would wait until the last minute to put his ticket in. I've tried this method a few times (I don't go to a lot of door prize events) and won a really ugly straw "doll". Gave it to a random aquaintance for Christmas.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2348347;
    I know this doesn't answer your question, but it reminded me of my grandfather who always won door prizes. He would wait until the last minute to put his ticket in. I've tried this method a few times (I don't go to a lot of door prize events) and won a really ugly straw "doll". Gave it to a random aquaintance for Christmas.
    Would that be considered re-gifting?
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Now, now - I think I get off that one on a technicality. It was never a gift in the first place. It was a decorating-type doll and I don't decorate. When we do secret santa at Christmas and have to fill out an interest sheet I put "Chaos" next to decorating style.
    Count your blessings!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I'm not lucky with the radio contests either but one of my best friends (who's also my co-worker) wins all sorts of things on the radio: free pizza party for the office, coffe/donuts for the office, George Strait concert tickets...she even won a 5 day/4 night all expense paid trip for 2 to any Sandals Resort! Her and hubbie ended up going to Jamaica and had a blast....neither had ever been on a plane or outside of the U.S. so I enjoyed seeing her excitement about the trip!!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast