+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zucchini

Or banana bread.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    It's actually in a chocolate cake and it is surprisingly good! I think it is merely there for moisture purposes and doesn't really effect the taste.

Thanks for that info JR!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Zucchinis should be fairly small, or they taste kind of nasty. If you've got one that's 4 pounds, you better just chuck it. You shouldn't use any that are more than about 1 foot long.

Personally, I like to take zucchini and summer (yellow) squash, and slice up one of each, wrap in tinfoil with butter and a little salt, and toss it on the grill. Do it before you put the meat on, and turn it over a couple of times. It's awesome that way.

Mmmm, now I'm hungry. Going to our ex-neighbors (read the Halloween thread for more info on them) today for tacos for lunch!

Thanks to all the different growing seasons we have in the U.S. zuchini is available year round just about everywhere nowadays.Smaller is always better when picking squashes and make sure the ends are firm and not rubbery or its starting to lose moisture content.

Any of the 20 different varieties of squash can be used as a substitute but Acorn squash is probably the closest in taste.I love zuchini bread can you post the recipe for the cake?It sounds delicious.

Sorry if this post sounds too officious but i have been a produce manager in grocery stores for 20 years and i get really excited when i get to share my knowledge.LOL
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock.

Wow, 20 years! I'm asking you next time I have a produce question!

My mom had a garden for a couple of years when I was growing up, and she always planted WAY too much zucchini. I had zucchini bread, cookies, cake, muffins, etc. coming out my EARS! It took many years before I was able to like it again.

Now I have to say Brussels Sprouts are my favorite veggie, and I could find good ones down in Florida. Back up here in Michigan, I'm having a MUCH harder time.

Wow! Who knew I could get such great info!

20 years, I think we have our official expert at the FORT!

I will definitely post that recipe -- it's a chocolate cake log roll up thing with cream cheese filling in the middle. YUM! I've never made it before , though just fyi!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)

The first time I ever had Zucchini was when my aunt Mary fried some up and we ate an entire platter full of it that night.

My mom makes a killer yellow squash casarole with jalapenos. Once she made it with zucchini and yellow, cause she could not find enough all yellow. It tasted the same, but was much prettier with the variety of color.

Unfortunately I don't have the original source. I got this from a coworker. Sounds good though.

Chocolate Zucchini Roll

Cake:
    3 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup flour
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup baking cocoa
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 cup shredded peeled zucchini

Filling:
    1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup butter
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 cup powdered sugar

Beat eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add to egg mixture and mix well. Stir in zucchini. Spread onto a greased and waxed paper-lined 15x10x1 inch jelly roll baking pan. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Turn onto a towel dusted with powdered sugar. Peel of waxed paper and roll up jelly roll style. Cool completely. Mix first 3 filling ingredients until fluffy. Beat in powdered sugar. Unroll cake, spreading filling to within 1 in of edges. Roll up again, dust with powdered sugar. Refrigerate.

With all the talk of people loving zucchini, I just have to add:

Zuchinni? YUCK. Squash? YUCK.

I'm with you John, my family had a little too much zucchini bread when I was growing up. I never liked it.

JR.
    Originally posted by KylieGrant
    With all the talk of people loving zucchini, I just have to add:

Zuchinni? YUCK. Squash? YUCK.

Butternut squash is your friend.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast