+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gastric Bypass? Have you or someone you know had it?

Gastric Bypass? Have you or someone you know had it?

I'm looking for advice from anyone who has had gastric bypass, or is close to someone who has. Give me the good and bad. Would you do it again? Any regrets? Pros and cons? I have looked on various bariatric boards but am interested in the experiences of others on this board. I know this is a personal/touchy subject so to those brave souls who respond, I thank you in advance.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by horsnhound;2307845;
    I'm looking for advice from anyone who has had gastric bypass, or is close to someone who has. Give me the good and bad. Would you do it again? Any regrets? Pros and cons? I have looked on various bariatric boards but am interested in the experiences of others on this board. I know this is a personal/touchy subject so to those brave souls who respond, I thank you in advance.
    I have had it. I am almost 13 months out and have lost 140 pounds (maybe more, have not weighed in almost 2 weeks)

I can answer here, or you can PM me. There are a few "personal" things that may not be good to put out on the boards. But if you are considering it, you need to know about those as well.

Yes I would do it again. I did do it again. I had the first one in 1998 and had complications (since found out the surgeon that did it made a mistake and that he's also had several lawsuits and left the state). The second surgeon fixed the mistakes, fixed some other things and I have NEVER felt better.
    I am able to do things I used to only dream about.

Best thing I EVER did for me and for my family. Is it perfect? No. Do I have a few minor problems? Yes. BUT the good outweighs (no pun intended ) the
    bad and I am very, very glad I did it.

I posted before and after pics in the good news thread on March 8 of this year if you want to go back and look.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

One of my best friends had gastric by pass about 6 years ago.

She lost a great deal of weight, about 120-130 pounds in about a year. BUT, in the last 3 years she has slowly put it all back on. She did get pregnant, that was part of it but after the first year, she kept trying to "cheat" the process. She figured out every way possible to eat more while staying in the eating guidelines. She would tell me terrible stories about what could happen when you eat wrong and then tell me about how the ways she figured out to keep that from happening.

It's a very touchy subject with her. Her sister tried to discuss this with her and it lead to them not talking for 6 months. I think that while she was motivated in the beginning to lose, she didn't deal with some of the issues that lead her to put on weight in the first place. She clearly eats to soothe herself when stressed and she never broke that cycle.

So, if you do it, get counseling to help you with issues that won't go away with the extra weight.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp;2308252;
    One of my best friends had gastric by pass about 6 years ago.

She lost a great deal of weight, about 120-130 pounds in about a year. BUT, in the last 3 years she has slowly put it all back on. She did get pregnant, that was part of it but after the first year, she kept trying to "cheat" the process. She figured out every way possible to eat more while staying in the eating guidelines. She would tell me terrible stories about what could happen when you eat wrong and then tell me about how the ways she figured out to keep that from happening.

It's a very touchy subject with her. Her sister tried to discuss this with her and it lead to them not talking for 6 months. I think that while she was motivated in the beginning to lose, she didn't deal with some of the issues that lead her to put on weight in the first place. She clearly eats to soothe herself when stressed and she never broke that cycle.

So, if you do it, get counseling to help you with issues that won't go away with the extra weight.

Counseling is a MUST if you want to be successful at keeping the weight off. My last surgeon said his success rate with long term weight loss in his patients skyrocketed once he began requiring counseling.

I know its helped me a great deal. I had a food addiction and I needed help with the reasons why I was addicted. It's just like any addiction, you need to find out the underlying reasons for why you eat and how to adjust your way of thinking to make sure you are successful with the surgery.

The surgery is NOT a magic cureall, but a great tool to help you get the weight off. To keep it off, you have to work on your head.

I know MANY people who have had it and who have kept the weight off. One of my friends had the surgery, got pregnant, and still looks great...she says she is so glad she has had it. I also know another girl who slowly put weight back on. As myrosiedog says, gastric bypass works the body but you still need to work the mind.
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

Not to scare you but the only person who I "knew" that had it, ended up dying on the operating table. It was tragic but the reality is that it is a surgery and for most severely overweight people, that may not be the best option.

I think I would rather have a lap band than gastric bypass, just my 2 cents.

Karna68 that is exactly what I was going to suggest. I have known and known of many people who've had gastric bypass. I have heard all kinds of stories good and horrific. From cureing diabeties to causing liver damage.
    I would check into the lap band before gastric bypass.

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35;2310193;
    Not to scare you but the only person who I "knew" that had it, ended up dying on the operating table. It was tragic but the reality is that it is a surgery and for most severely overweight people, that may not be the best option.
    I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by karna68;2310242;
    I think I would rather have a lap band than gastric bypass, just my 2 cents.
    In the support group I belong too, the people that had the lap band all now wish they had had the gastric bypass. Several have had horrible problems while most of the GBP patients didn't have a lot of trouble. You also lose a LOT slower with the band.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast