+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Travel to Florida Keys

FORT Newbie

Travel to Florida Keys

HI,
    My family and I are taking a trip to the Florida keys the first week in April. There are 4 adults and 2 kids ages 6 and 3. We are staying in Islamorada. Just wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions on what to do, where to go and what to stay away from. Any input would be appreciated as none of us have been there.

Thanks for any input :-)

Awww, I wish I could help! My inlaws boat down there every year.. and are actually there right now. But unless you plan on living on a boat, I guess I can't offer any suggestions *via them* But hooray for taking what looks to be a wicked fun trip though
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Wish I could help, but I've never been to any of the Keys. We tried quite a few years ago to drive from Miami at least partway down. However, it was very stormy and the road isn't elevated very much. We got very nervous about it and turned around and headed back to Miami.

My son was to Key West as part of a Scout trip a couple of years ago. He said it was beautiful. I have friends that have been to Key West several times. They absolutely love it.

MRD
    The Keys are gorgeous. Bahia Honda state park is a must see. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Islamorada is over an hour from Key West, but Key West is a great place. Hemingway's house, Audoban's house, the lighthouse, etc are worth seeing. And the Conch Tour train and Mel Fishers Treasure Salvour's museum. Key West is definetly funky, different and don't miss Sunset on Mallory Square. It's a carnival every night with applause for the sun setting which is beautiful. But they have magicians, animal trainers, etc. performing during this event. (watch out for pickpockets there. It gets crowded and that is a prime area for those type of criminals)

The drive from Miami to Key West is 3 hours if there are no traffic problems and the draw bridges are working. 7 mile bridge is awesome to go over.

I have never spent much time in Islamorada (we used to go to Key West every year for New Year's Eve), but you can probably google the Florida Keys and get a guide from the Chamber of Commerce about places to go, things to do and see.

Oh and take mosquito repellant. Even in April those buggers are BAD in the keys.

Have fun. Sun. will be my 18th wedding anniversary and we honeymooned in Key West.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Newbie
    thanks for all the info. Keep it coming!

And congrats on the wedding anniversary myrosiedog

Happy anniversary, mrd.

I'm sorry I can't add any worthwhile information, but many years ago I was between jobs and traveled cross-country (from West to East coast and back) for four months. I'd planned on doing a big loop, but once I got down to the Keys, my friend and I loved it so much we spent two full months down there and never made it up North. You'll have a terrific time.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by roseskid;2265104;
    Happy anniversary, mrd.

I'm sorry I can't add any worthwhile information, but many years ago I was between jobs and traveled cross-country (from West to East coast and back) for four months. I'd planned on doing a big loop, but once I got down to the Keys, my friend and I loved it so much we spent two full months down there and never made it up North. You'll have a terrific time.
    I kind of did the same thing when I was 20. I went to visit friends and ended up living there for 6 months. It's changed a LOT since then, but still fun. But back then it was NOT upscale like its become in some areas. It was like living a Jimmy Buffett song back then. We'd take a stick of butter and a knife and go to the Cuban bread factory around 10-11 pm when the first loaves were coming out of the oven and sit in the car and eat warm cuban bread right in front of the bakery, I think it cost us like 30 cents a loaf. Lot of the little fun, funky restaurants are no longer there. Sloppy Joe's and Cap't Tony's were not as touristy as they are now, but they are still fun.
    We did the "Duval Crawl" many times (when you hit ALL the bars on Duval street and have to "crawl" home.
    But living there, you could avoid Duval and the tourist areas and go to the local things like the festivals in Bahama Village and the Cuban areas. GREAT food at those and great regional music, street dancing, etc. Bahama Village was back then considered the area for the blacks to live, but it was soooo cool. All the houses painted bright carribean colors and a huge carribean influence from all the islands. We used to go there all the time to eat as they had this great Jamacan restaurant there. Lots of Reggae music.
    Living there was fun as you got to experience things off the beaten path.
    The cemetary is also cool. As Key WEst is a coral island, they can't dig, so all the graves are above ground like in New Orleans and there are a lot of really OLD graves. Key West at one time was the biggest city in Florida (way long ago. LOL)
    The "Wrecker" houses are so cool. All the victorian gingerbread, etc. And they are now painted funky colors as well.
    Back when I was living there, the Navy still had a base there and that was definetly interesting as they were all also hanging out on Duval Street in the bars.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread