+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 100 Year Centennial - Scouts

100 Year Centennial - Scouts

Happy Centennial to Canada Scouts and those worldwide.

Congratulations to all Scouts for 100 years of scouting. Today, more than 25 million youth and adults, boys and girls, take part in Scouting programs in 216 countries and territories worldwide.

Famous Scouters include: Neil Armstrong, Dr. Alfred Kinsey, Michael Moore, Stephen Spielberg, John Tesh, Sam Walton, Jimmy Buffet, Hank Aaron,Richard Dean Anderson, Harrison Ford, Bill Gates, Richard Gere, Paul McCartney, James Stewart, John Ritter, Jim Morrison, Bruce Jenner,

Famous Girl Scouts include Mariah Carey, Sheryl Crowe, Bjork, Emma Thomson, Carrie Fisher, Susan Lucci, Kathleen Turner, Debbie Reynolds, Mary Tyler Moore, Roberta Bondar.

I have purposely left out the politicians.
    ---------------------------------

So, were you a Cub Scout? Girl Scout? Brownie?/Guide? (Canada) I know that Scoutmom certainly is! Anyone else?

I was a Brownie and a Guide.
    Last edited by misskitty; 02-24-2007 at 04:23 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I was a Brownie and a Guide when I live in Northern Ireland. I loved it. Nothing but great memories.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

MRD
    I was never a scout as a kid, but I was a Girl Scout leader for 5 wonderful and rewarding years. I did it for my kid, but then met a whole group of wonderful, loving, fun girls who I enjoyed leading and who brought me a lot of joy. I miss it. Before we moved, these girls, who are now in high school would come up to me in the grocery store or whereever and give me a hug and tell me how much fun they had and how much they missed me. Doesn't get any better than that, I'm telling you.
    I don't miss cookie sales time though. For a scout leader, that is a very difficult month or so and you end up with dozens of cases of cookies in your house and they are so tempting!

Happy 100th Scouts and kudos to all you scout leaders out there. You are making a difference by being a leader and a role model to children. It's not always easy, the pay certainly isn't the reason for doing it. But the rewards are something you will never forget. Good leaders are something worth celebrating too in my opinion. And the Scouts (boy and girl) need good leaders, so if you can volunteer in scouting, do it. You will love it and the kids will love you for it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I started as a Brownie (before there were Daisies) and progressed through 'til 8th grade. Then a bigwig at the district level was caught with her hand in the till and we changed over to Campfire Girls which was not as much fun, so we dropped out. It was too bad because our area had a crackerjack day camp we went to every year and my buddies and I also went to the 2 week sleep-over camp each summer. Back then the emphasis was more on survival skills. At the age of 8 I was taught to use a knife and hatchet, how to start a fire with one match (in the rain), and eventually how to lash an outdoor latrine, tables, etc. All those things give you a feeling of empowerment as a young girl. I was an adult leader for 15 years. When my first child was born, we thought she was going to be a boy. On finding out she was a girl my first thought was, 'I get to be a girl scout leader!".
    Count your blessings!

I was a Brownie for one year and absolutely hated it! I don't remember what it was about Brownies that I hated. I didn't get involved again in Scouts until my son was in 1st grade and old enough to be a Tiger. He's 16 now and an Eagle Scout. I'm quite sure I'll be involved in Scouts in some capacity until I'm old and grey. (Wait a minute - I'm definitely grey [if you look at the roots] and I'm getting up there.) Let me rephrase - I'm quite sure I'll be involved in Scouts in some capacity until I'm REALLY old and bald.

I also started Girl Scouts as a Brownie. That was also before they had Daisies. I moved up (called flying up) to Girl Scouts, then after two years they could not find a leader for our group. They never contacted me about moving to another group so it ended there.

I joined Boy Scouts as a Tiger Parent Partner when my oldest son joined. The next year I became the den leader and served as one for the next four years. I also served as the Cub Master for 2 of those years. After that I went into adult leader training for 10 years and also served as a Unit Commissioner for 4years. During that time I was also a Program director for Cub day camp and Webelos resident camp. The stories I could tell...

Leaders are one them most important things that Scouting needs for the boys and girls to continue to have a great experience. It is also one of the best things you can do to spend time with your child.

Happy 100th Scouts heres the hope for 100's more.

Girl Scout trivia - Daisies are so named because Daisy was founder, Juliette Lowe's nickname as a child. Brownies are so named because you are supposed to do good deeds without drawing attention to yourself like the shoemaker's elves.
    Count your blessings!

In America, Girl Scouts are separate from Boy Scouts. We have a different start date: 1912. So we're celebrating the 95th year of Girl Scouting in America this year.

You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread