+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Travel tips

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2291382;
    Now y'all have me wondering if the titanium screws I now have in my stomach due to my surgery will set off the metal detectors. I guess I better ask the doctor that one.
    and here I thought you were going to say you had boobs of steel too!

Seems to me that with surgery involving metal being SO common, the airlines have to have some kind of way of figuring that out or something.

I flew from Isreal to Greece in 1974. I have NEVER been so thouroughly searched. Was taken in a cubicle and had to practically strip. I had waist length hair, they felt all through my hair. We had to open the camera, squirt the toothpaste and hand lotion. Every single thing in our hand luggage was inspected very, very carefully. My dad was freaking out as he got through his in 10 min. and my mom and I were in there for over 30 min.
    But less than a year before, Isreal had been at war and was having a lot of hijackings. I have NEVER felt safer than I did boarding that plane. They checked EVERYONE like that.
    Would never happen here. Heck, just the security checkpoint in the US gets backed up having people go through the detector. Individual searches would take hours.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Now y'all have me wondering if the titanium screws I now have in my stomach due to my surgery will set off the metal detectors. I guess I better ask the doctor that one.

My dad has some type of metal screws in his leg.
    He carries a wallet card with him (from the doctor) explaining them.

This is probably a stupid question but--Are the detectors at airports more sensitive then they used to be?

Another question: Has anyone used Priceline or any of the name your own price for hotels? And, if so, what is your opinion? Thanks.
    Last edited by redjdv; 03-22-2007 at 12:14 AM.

Yes, definitely ask, Unk. I mentioned before I have a card I keep in my wallet (like redjvd said), and it explains that I have 'hardware.' One other thing, my card states I need to take antibiotics for three days beginning the day before any type of dental procedure including cleanings. I'm not sure if it's because my metal plates are in my neck and therefore close to my mouth , or what, but it was explained to me that bacteria can get dislodged, pass through the body and latch onto the metal. You might want to ask your doctor about that while you're at it. I have a lot of metal in me, though, and that may make a difference.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Roseskid, my dad has had both hips replaced and mom has had both knees and one shoulder (so far) replaced. We call them the bionic parental units.

They both have to take the antibiotics before dental procedures...even teeth cleanings. That is standard procedure.

They, too, still do a fair bit of traveling and haven't had any problems going through security. Will ask if they have a card from their doctors or if they set off any alarms.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by redjdv;2291429;

This is probably a stupid question but--Are the detectors at airports more sensitive then they used to be?

Another question: Has anyone used Priceline or any of the name your own price for hotels? And, if so, what is your opinion? Thanks.
    I've used priceline several times and was VERY impressed with the hotels. We've stayed at Sheraton's and Marriott's for $50 a night. I haven't used it in a couple years, but we did use it once for a trip to Disney and once to Universal in Orlando. Both were very nice hotels and we couldn't beat the price we got.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I've used Priceline quite a lot, and have never had a problem with any of the hotels I've gotten. Usually when I travel I like the smaller mom and pop places out in the country, but I'm not comfortable in super cheap places when I'm in an actual city I'm unfamiliar with. So, I use Priceline, and usually get at least a three star for $65 or less, even in normally expensive cities. It's a treat for me to get to sleep in a cushy bed like the ones at the Sheraton or the like on the first night of my vacation, too!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Can anyone reccomend a good travel purse? I am looking for a
    shoulder/messenger type bag. A small to medium size. I usually carry a tiny purse when I travel, but I would love to have a hands-free bag, especiallly one with organizers.

Thanks.

I like Travel Pro products a lot. I don't know if this is what you are looking for or if you want something a bit more stylish?

Deluxe Totes Styles
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky;2300582;
    Can anyone reccomend a good travel purse? I am looking for a
    shoulder/messenger type bag. A small to medium size. I usually carry a tiny purse when I travel, but I would love to have a hands-free bag, especiallly one with organizers.

Thanks.

Here's what I use on all my trips and it really does hold quite a bit. The one I have isn't leather though....its nylon but I'm thinking about getting a leather one! Travelon Expandable Purse

Ok..I went back in and tried the link to make sure it worked and it just goes to the QVC search button. Go to qvc.com and type in travelon expandable or Item Number F9809 and hopefully that will pull it up!
    Last edited by bbnbama; 03-28-2007 at 01:56 PM.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I don't thinks it is a stupid question . I travel a lot, and it seems to me (and I could be wrong) that the international sensors are much more sensitive than when you are travelling in country. If I wear an underwire bra (sorry for the TMI!) going through the Dallas airport, I always set it off. If I am travelling in country in Chile or Canada, it never goes off. It may vary country to country as well.

+ Reply to Thread