+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Travel tips

I just booked a fairly expensive trip for the family, and my husband had me opt in for the travel insurance because you never know what can come up with young children. I've never purchased it before and feel, well, like a sucker. I always thought my credit card would cover it if anything happened. Do any of you experienced travelers have an opinion on whether or not the extra insurance is worth it?
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2285417;
    When I booked my flight there were some cool activities available. One that I would like to do is a Grand Tour that goes all over San Diego, then a harbor cruise and then down to Tijuana for the afternoon. I'm going to be there by myself and I've never been there before so I thought this sounded like a fun way to see things but I'm wondering if I would need a passport for the Tijuana part? It doesn't say anything about that in the tour info, and I only have 8 weeks before the trip so I don't even think I could get one in time.

ETA: Never mind. I answered my own question. If you are staying less than 72 hours you don't need a passport.
    Marleybone, you might want to check the State departmen't new rules at New Requirements for Travelers as the site you checked may not have them up yet. If you are flying down there, it appears to me you will in fact have to have a passport. If you're going by land or sea, you're ok till 2008. I was checking on this becauce I'll be going into British Columbia in June, and wanted to know if I needed my passport.

Cricketeen, the travel insurance for an expensive trip is actually a good idea sometimes, as for cruises or other non cancellable travel; most credit cards will not cover those if you don't go. You will have to check the fine print on your particular card to see for sure.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;2285279;
    I've never had underwire bras set off the alarm either. Not even m belt buckle, which is quite massive set it off. Maybe I should make sure to wear pretty ones though.

One of my old teachers had both his knees replaced with metallic prosthesis so he was alwyas prepared for being stopped. He couldn't do anything about it though, just show his knees. That must be even more annoying, knowing you'll get stopped every single time. And he does travel a lot.
    My mom had steel rods in her back and her doctor gave her a medical card to show at security checkpoints and this was pre-9/11.

The bra thing was awful, I practically had to strip. I went through the detector about 4 times before I was pulled aside. I had taken off all jewelry, no belt, etc. I got "wanded" and thank goodness the wander was a woman, as I finally had the lightbulb go off in my head and said: could it be my underwire bra? She said that yes it could and let me go finally.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Well, I guess he has a card or something as well, he just said it was annoying knowing they'd go off, even if he had a reason for them to do so.

Thanks Queenb, I feel better now. I hate reading fine print
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2286303;
    My mom had steel rods in her back and her doctor gave her a medical card to show at security checkpoints and this was pre-9/11.

The bra thing was awful, I practically had to strip. I went through the detector about 4 times before I was pulled aside. I had taken off all jewelry, no belt, etc. I got "wanded" and thank goodness the wander was a woman, as I finally had the lightbulb go off in my head and said: could it be my underwire bra? She said that yes it could and let me go finally.
    I've taken to wearing sports bras now when I go through airports. I hate getting felt up, whether by a female attendant or not.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2285974;
    I just booked a fairly expensive trip for the family, and my husband had me opt in for the travel insurance because you never know what can come up with young children. I've never purchased it before and feel, well, like a sucker. I always thought my credit card would cover it if anything happened. Do any of you experienced travelers have an opinion on whether or not the extra insurance is worth it?
    It's absolutely worth it. My sister had to cancel a vacation not once but twice. The first time, she miscarried the day prior to leaving and the second time she found out she was pregnant (the doctor and my sister didn't want to risk it). Her trips were both entirely refunded. You never know what can happen.

Wow, I've flown on a fairly frequent basis the past year and I've never had my bra set off any detectors. They never set them off at the amusement park I go to every summer either. I guess I'm lucky.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Star, if you wear an underwire they normally go off if you get wanded.

Some of the underwire bras are actually a thick plastic wire now, so that helps.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2286394;
    It's absolutely worth it. My sister had to cancel a vacation not once but twice. The first time, she miscarried the day prior to leaving and the second time she found out she was pregnant (the doctor and my sister didn't want to risk it). Her trips were both entirely refunded. You never know what can happen.
    Hey DesertRose, do you know how much the travel insurance costs? A percentage of the trip cost or something? I'm guessing this works really well for package trips (cruise/flight etc.), but if you're doing it piece meal (air plane ticket, hotel reservations, car rental etc.), does it still work? It's good to know! This is something I definitely want to look into for future vacations.

About bras...I wear underwire bras and haven't had any problems at airports (yet!). I guess I could always pull a Jennifer Beals if needed (remember her scene from "Flashdance" where she took her bra off without taking off her shirt?)...

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2285417;
    I'm wondering if I would need a passport for the Tijuana part? It doesn't say anything about that in the tour info, and I only have 8 weeks before the trip so I don't even think I could get one in time.
    I think you're already all covered but I want to point out that you can get expedited passports--it just costs more. The husband and I both needed to expedite our passport renewals, paid double, gave them our FedEx account # so it would be overnighted and it worked out fine 'cause we got our passports within two weeks. But the lesson learned? Mr. and Mrs. Lois Lane shouldn't procrastinate so much next time!
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 03-21-2007 at 11:25 AM.

+ Reply to Thread