+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Travel tips

I tried rolling the clothes, but what I like even better is packing stuff in zip lock bags. I pack a "set" of clothes (underwear, socks, shorts/slacks, top) in each bag and then sit on it to get the air out. Then when I get dressed in the morning, I just have to grab one bag and a full set of clothes is in there. This works especially well when we're camping and have to go to the bath house for a shower. Grab a bag and off you go! And getting the air out of the bags allows for stuffing more stuff into a bag.

And even better yet - when the Boy Scouts go to summer camp, they use a foot locker for their stuff. If it fits in the foot locker, it goes to camp with him. If it doesn't fit in the foot locker, it stays home. Anyway . . . those pesky boys have a habit of getting very dirty (and smelly) at summer camp. They also just take their dirty clothes and throw them into the foot locker at the end of the day (or the next morning when they're forced to clean their tent). If their clean clothes are packed in zip lock bags, they actually stay clean until they put them on their bodies (for at least 5 minutes).

When I was packing for Africa I found the plastic bags with a one-way vent. You put the clothes in, press out the air and it vacuum packs them. Same benefits as above, plus you can fit more clothes in. I also read an article about using drier sheets while traveling. Keeps the luggage fresh, gets rid of static cling, and repels mosquitoes. Make sure those boys know not to put food in those footlockers. I'll never forget a tent-mate opening hers to find it crawling with ants.
    Count your blessings!

Yeah, food in foot lockers . . . we tell the boys that before EVERY camping trip. Once when they were Cub Scouts, we went to a week long Webelos camp. We told the kids the same thing - especially since they didn't have footlockers. They just used whatever bag they had. So one kid decided not to listen (because they ALWAYS know SO much better than the leaders). He had some kind of candy in his bag and had a racoon visit his tent in the night. The kid woke up, saw the racoon in his tent, let out a blood curdling scream, and gave the rest of us heart attacks!

Another kid had a much better idea. He hid candy in the bottom of his sleeping bag. During the day while we were out and about, some animal came into his tent and CHEWED his way through the bottom of the sleeping bag. His mom was NOT happy - it was a brand new sleeping bag.

I could go on forever . . . yeah, good times . . .

Being the only certified camping leader around, I get asked to join troops on their camping trips. A few years ago we went to state park with resident black bears. Signs everywhere said not to take food in your tent. Some boys near us ignored them and snuck cookies in their tent. In the middle of the night a bear ripped their tent apart with them in it. Their screams woke everyone up in the whole area and scared the bears away - luckily.
    Count your blessings!

Kids just don't get that we're not telling them about no food in tents to be mean or because we don't want crumbs in tents. It's a safety issue! I always tell new campers some of the horror stories so it will hopefully sink in that it's all about safety.

FORT Fan
    if you travel to a country where the national language is not your own, don't be pompous and demand somebody speak to you in english. always learn basic phrases before you go. it's common courtesy and makes your stay a lot less stressful. languages can be fun!

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2246459;

Years later, post-9/11, same daughter needed to have an EpiPen for her beesting allergy. We always brought a letter from her doctor along with the Epi when we would be flying. Never had a problem going through security, etc., and thankfully she never had to use it. I also made copies of the doctors note and stashed them in my camera bag, checked in luggage, etc., just in case I lost the original.
    This is a very useful thread. . I use my cell phone as an alarm clock. Some of those hotel clocks are difficult to set correctly. I also take an extra dirty laundry bag.

If I go somewhere where I know I will be shopping (I like to get souvenirs, especially for my 2 nephews) I always carry a fully collapsable duffle bag that can fit into the bottom of my suitcase. If I need to fill it with gifts or books and papers from a conferences I just check the extra bag. This keeps me from going over the 50 pound limit. Most airlines let you check 2 bags with your ticket, so this is my second bag.

I saved the box my epi pen came in. It has my prescription label on it. I haven't had any trouble getting it through. Sometimes the screeners will check through my carry on to take a look at it, but nothing more than that.

I carry an extra set of clothing in my carry on. An outfit than can roll up really small and doesn't weigh much.

I try to plan my airport outfits so that they don't have metal that will set off the machines. I don't wear belts, I wear socks with sneakers that I can slip on and off, I wear one layer, I put my coat and sweater in the bin.

I also take my bin and go over to the seats to put my shoes on, instead of holding up the line to redress myself at the head of line.

One of the most important tips is to pay attention to new security guidlines. Like others, I still wonder why some people feel like they can take their bottle of water through security when everyone can't.

One more thing. I ask the workers at the desk for inexpensive quality places to eat/tour/shop that are within walking or free hotel shuttle distance. Room service nad hotel restaurants can be expensive and I can get McDonald's at home.
    Last edited by rt1ky; 03-11-2007 at 10:48 PM.

MRD
    I wear a cheap pair of flip flops with my sneaks in my carry on luggage. Then i can switch over while I'm sitting in the gate area to put my sneaks on and stash away the flipflops. Saves a lot of time doing the on and off shoe thing.

I also do NOT wear an underwire bra when going through airport security. Learned that by embarrassing experience.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Does anyone here pack their clothing with newspaper? I heard that it keeps wrinkles out, but I always forget to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky;2276576;
    Does anyone here pack their clothing with newspaper? I heard that it keeps wrinkles out, but I always forget to try it.
    I've never heard of this. Wouldn't the newspaper get the clothes all dirty?

+ Reply to Thread