+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Travel tips

I've tried rolling my clothes, but it never seemed to make much difference. The shower thing I mentioned works wonders, though.

For those of us who travel a lot, I have a request. While you're in line for security, have your boarding pass and ID out and ready to go. Put all your metal in your coat, and take your coat off. Wear shoes that come off easily, or untie them while in line. Unzip your laptop case, and have the laptop easily and quickly removable.

Security is the slowest part of the process, and primarily because people aren't organized and ready.

John, I've used that steam trick several times myself. It works just as well as my little travel steamer and without the trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by John;2246998;
    Security is the slowest part of the process, and primarily because people aren't organized and ready.

Amen to that! I don't travel a lot and yet roll my eyes at the people who seem surprised that they, too, must participate in the screening process and are totally unprepared. Just open your eyes and observe what the people 10 up from you in line are doing for cryin' out loud.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Here's a tip we just found out this weekend... If you plan to use use Expedia to book a hotel room, try giving the hotel a call directly and inquiring about the rates first.

We assume that Expedia rates are cheaper, but we found out when we got to our Hotel that we were actually payed almost %30 more than if we had just called them direct!! :hmm Apparently, Expedia gives the Hotel it's regular rate, and then keeps the rest for the service. Ick.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    What always amazes me are the people in line who see EVERYONE before them taking off their jackets and shoes...but feel that somehow they'll be the one person who won't have to do the same! Then they take forever slowly taking off their shoes and placing them gently on the conveyor belt. In the summer, I like to wear slip ons so that I can do this faster.

The one problem I had was I sometimes I like to wear a light hoodie as my shirt. But to security, it's a jacket. I've since taken to wearing at least a light tank top or a t-shirt under my hoodies so I don't end up embarrassed!

Back in the day when I was on the road 3 weeks a month I hated traveling near holidays. This was pre TSA and there were always 50 family members meeting grandma at the gate when she arrived. Trying to maneuver your way through those airport crowds was a huge pain,

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2247792;
    Amen to that! I don't travel a lot and yet roll my eyes at the people who seem surprised that they, too, must participate in the screening process and are totally unprepared. Just open your eyes and observe what the people 10 up from you in line are doing for cryin' out loud.

Double Amen to that. I realize for some people, its the first time they've had to deal with security, but just paying attention to what everyone else is doing will save a lot of time.

This is a great thread for me. I've feel like I've been living in airports lately and have more of it in my future. Most of my own "tips" have been mentioned, but I'll mention a few others.

1). Pack a few plastic bottles of water in your checked luggage if you have a refrigerator in your hotel room. If you're cheap like me, you don't want to pay $3.00 for a Pepsi out of the hotel vending machine.

2). Definitely mark your suitcase in some way to differentiate it from everyone else's little black rolling suitcase. I think I've decided to paint a giant florescent "X" on mine, just because I'm tired of looking for it.

3). Buy small bottles of everything, even if you think you're going to be checking your luggage. After a series of mishaps, I was very late for a flight out of Denver a couple of weeks ago. At DIA, you have to check in an hour ahead of your flight to check your luggage. I ended up having to toss about $75 worth of toiletries so I could carry my bag on the flight. Don't throw away a brand new bottle of Bath & Body Works lotion like I did to learn this painful lesson.

4). On the same flight, I had my luggage randomly searched (a search based on my harried look, no doubt). Which meant that my lingerie, etc, was pawed through right in the middle of the security lane. I'm not a prude, but having my bras, etc, lifted up out of my suitcase in front of an army of fellow travelers didn't sit too well with me. I decided to put my lingerie in a lingerie bag next time so I can hopefully avoid this in the future.

5). Learn to sleep on planes. I used to not be able to do this.
    I learned. If you fly across time zones a lot, its a necessity.

ETA: Closetnerd, I've found its almost always cheaper to book with hotels AND airlines directly than to use a travel website. I use travel websites to find my airline or hotel and then book directly most of the time.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Unk, I actually miss those days. I used to love being at the gate to welcome my grandpa. It was so exciting!

Star, I'm a cheapo, too. But be careful 'cause at some hotels, they charged me for MY WATER and sodas that I'd put in the fridge and drank. The person who was doing the counting counted the ones I'd thrown out, I think, and assumed I'd drank theirs. It got settled easily enough but just keep an eye on your bill for stuff like this!
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 02-19-2007 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2247813;
    The one problem I had was I sometimes I like to wear a light hoodie as my shirt. But to security, it's a jacket. I've since taken to wearing at least a light tank top or a t-shirt under my hoodies so I don't end up embarrassed!
    Oh dear! I have done that too! I've actually come dangerously close to taking off my "jacket" in public a few times, before deciding "ehhh.... You know, I'm kinda cool today, I'll leave it on" People must think I have no internal thermostat or something.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

I second the rolling of clothes...you get at least 30 percent more stuff in the bag. I never believed it until I tried it!!

+ Reply to Thread