+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel tips

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2246500;
    When I bought my luggage I got red luggage because I hardly ever saw any...guess what I see all the time now??? Yep...red luggage!
    Same here. My red set looks like all the others...and even my ribbons look too similar now. Sigh. My old set was on its last legs so I got a sturdy silver Kenneth Cole set on sale for dirt cheap at Marshalls. I hope that's a little more unique (if for nothing other than the fact that it's ugly!)...

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I've seen a set of lime green luggage and that's what I want but I've only had my red luggage for about 3 years so I really can't justify going out and buying new luggage!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;2246462;
    Cricketeen, do they not open the plastic bags? I don't know because we never fly.
    I read that if they can see into the bag and squish it around in their hands, they can be satisfied that there is nothing dangerous in it and not have to open it. I choose to believe that .

My husband hates when I adorn our luggage with anything - maybe someday our bags will stick out because they are the only ones with nothing tied, glued or painted on .
    Last edited by cricketeen; 02-18-2007 at 06:34 PM.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

As the most common flight that I do is the 12 hour flight home to England I have a few generic travel tips that I could pass along:

1. As my Mum learned the hard way. If you do intend to let your child take the Travel Scrabble game on the flight, make sure that: your child is either sitting beside you or a member of the family, or that she is beside a nice unassuming business man who doesn't mind putting away any work that he has brought and playing the game the whole the whole 12 hours.

2. If you are tired on a long flight please go to sleep. I know this might sound like an unintelligent tip, but once was I was about 7 my brothers convinced me that I would feel much better if I stayed awake the whole flight and slept after we got home. I fell asleep about 45 mins before the end of the flight and was horribly sick when I had to woken up and needed some extra on board assistance.

3. If you fly to the UK often I would recommend becoming a frequent flier member with Virgin Atlantic. The tickets are about $30 more sometimes, but the comfort level and care packages that you receive on the plane make up for it and it is very easy to get a free trip when you fly as much as I use to.

4. If you are going on a Greyhound, to say Las Vegas, which I do so I can save gas mileage. Keep your money, travel documents, tickets, all financial necessities in one of the pouches that can slip under what you are wearing and keep it close to you at all times. Last time I went to Vegas, and I had my carry on bag on my lap, was using it as a pillow and had my arms wrapped around it very tightly...someone got into the the bag while I was asleep and lifted my wallet, cash and pretty much anything of importance that was in my purse. I always use to think those pouches were a little dorky, but after that experience and the aftermath I recommend them completely.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

bb, I use Trip Advisor all the time. I write reviews every time I spend the night in a motel, hotel or B&B, too.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John;2246083;
    Syringes are allowed through security, per the TSA, as long as each syringe is printed with the prescription information, and the names match your ticket. It also appears to help to have a short note from your doctor explaining why you need the medication.

I'm not sure how cold your medication needs to be, but something like this might work:

Amazon.com: Frio Cooling Wallet - EXTRA LG-Black-Keep insulin cool up to 45 hrs without EVER needing refriger'n!: Health & Personal Care

At least for the short term. If you have the option, book a "suite-type" hotel room (Doubletree or Embassy Suites are the two that come to mind), as they'll always have refrigerators - and a LOT more room for you if you're gong to be somewhere for a few days.
    Thanks for the great advice everyone! My medication is in a pen that is similar to an Epi-Pen so I don't have to deal with syringes. The box it comes in will have the prescription info so I can take that along. The needles are sealed in little individual packages. I'm not sure if there's a certain temp it has to be but it just stresses to keep it refrigerated at all times. I'm going to a conference so I won't have a choice of hotels but it's at a Hyatt Regency so I should be able to work something out with a refrigerator.

This isn't a big, important tip but still a good one. Check the motel alarm clock before you go to sleep to make sure it hasn't been set. When I was in Vegas the first night a bunch of us went out and I got back to the hotel at about 2:00 in the morning. At 3:30 the alarm went off. Not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;2246462;
    Critical, are you saying that you feel others may think your (lack of) taste may extend to the contents of your suitcase?
    Now, now. :nono I just think no one else would want to be seen walking through the airport with that particular color combo AND they'd certainly be easy to pick out of a crowd if they did try to steal it. The outside of the suitcase definitely doesn't reflect what's on the inside

Yep, my mother went and bought red luggage thinking it would stand out. Everyone else had the same idea. I can't afford to buy new luggage, especially since mine is still in good shape, but I saw a burnt orange set a while back that I would have loved to buy. I'd never seen that color before so I figure it'd be a few months before everyone else has that color too!

Another thing I do is put all of my toiletries in a zip-lock bag, even if I check my bag. Sometimes containers can leak with the changes in altitude and there's nothing worse than opening your bag to find shampoo or lotion leaking all over your clothes.

I always roll my clothes when I pack
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2246724;
    Another thing I do is put all of my toiletries in a zip-lock bag, even if I check my bag. Sometimes containers can leak with the changes in altitude and there's nothing worse than opening your bag to find shampoo or lotion leaking all over your clothes.
    I've had that happen and it sucks big time. It was shampoo and it was all contained in my shaving kit but it still sucked,

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2246724;
    Now, now. :nono I just think no one else would want to be seen walking through the airport with that particular color combo AND they'd certainly be easy to pick out of a crowd if they did try to steal it. The outside of the suitcase definitely doesn't reflect what's on the inside

Yep, my mother went and bought red luggage thinking it would stand out. Everyone else had the same idea. I can't afford to buy new luggage, especially since mine is still in good shape, but I saw a burnt orange set a while back that I would have loved to buy. I'd never seen that color before so I figure it'd be a few months before everyone else has that color too!

I always roll my clothes when I pack
    I use a lot of ziplock bags, too. I have some that are large enough to pack a set of clothes for each of us for each day. One of those bags, and jeans for us both and we're in business.
    I bought a set several years ago that I never leave home without. It consists of a big tote bag, a zip cosmetic bag, a sleeve for the curling iron and another little bag that has plastic zip pockets. That little bag is where I keep a few first aid supplies like alcohol, peroxide, antibotic salve, so on. When I'm only going for a couple of days, I even manage to pack my computer in that big bag, too.
    I have never rolled my clothes but may try that.

+ Reply to Thread