+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Travel tips

Re: Travel tips

Thank you...long day tomorrow - nautilus and swim at 5:30, work all day, go straight to airport, get taken out to eat. Mmmmm - Chicago restaurants.
    Count your blessings!

Premium Member

I took my trip to California last week. Everything went pretty well, but I was suprised at the inconsistency at the different airports. I was careful to have only 3 oz. of shampoo, etc. in the one ziplock bag you are allowed and I sailed through security with no problem, but when I was heading home and going through security at the San Diego airport I had to stop and dig out my mascara and put that in the little bag because they considered that a gel/liquid. Plus they made me go sit at a little table while they searched my bag because I had a scissors in it. It was a very small, rounded tip scissors that I had with my yarn and crochet hook, and was perfectly legal - I made sure of it before I packed. They dug the scissors out and carried it around to other TSA agents and had a big discussion amongst 3 of them over whether or not it was ok. I wanted to say just take the darned thing, I really don't care. Oh, and another thing - you don't want to forget to take your shoes off. I don't know why I forgot, I was probably still thinking about that deadly tube of mascara in my makeup bag. The look on the TSA lady's face when I realized I had forgotten to let them x-ray my shoes was downright scary. I was afraid they were going to put me in a little room somewhere - but I just handed them to her and she put them through and it ended up being no big deal. It was a huge relief to get through it though.

Also, I had mentioned earlier that I requested a small refrigerator for my medication. I had confirmed this by phone a second time after my initial reservation. When I arrived, of course there was no refrigerator. It was ok because my doctor changed my meds about a month ago, so I'm no longer on the one that required refrigeration. I thought the fridge would be nice anyway just for keeping cold drinks handy - but since I really didn't need it after all I didn't say anything.

I had an uneventful flight there and back, no security issues. I didn't take any liquid products since I was staying with my sister's family, no underwire bra, put jewelry in my purse ahead of time, etc. Funny thing, though - I ended up sitting next to the same older couple both ways. What are the odds? Oh! and here's an interesting thing I hadn't seen before. At the airport book/magazine shop you could buy a book and on the return flight, if you were done, return it with the receipt and get half your money back. I guess there was a section where you could buy the previously read books. I took them up on it and it only took a second on my way out of the airport to get the refund.
    Count your blessings!

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

If your luggage doesn't make it to your destination, you can call and have a special rush order put on your bags to get them to you sooner.

I always take an extra set of clothing in my carry-on, along with my toothbrush and bathroom items. The airline may give you a toothbrush, paste, deordant and other little things, but as far a clothing goes you may only get a t-shirt.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

If you are a student, pack your student ID card. You may be able to get discounts.

Woo I'm going to Austin, TX for a week at the end of September to visit my boyfriend. I need to put money in my account so I can afford the plane ticket, though lol. Does anybody know anything fun to do there?

I luckily have an insanely bright, Pucci-esque inspired print luggage bag. I went to visit my cousin in California, and she saw it coming down the luggage belt. She turned to me, and said,"oh, that HAS to be yours." That's one way not to confuse your luggage with anybody else's. Plus Target has really cute luggage tags now. There's a pack i may get that has a cartoon monkey and cartoon bird. So i'm going to get those, too.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBrat;2459760;
    Woo I'm going to Austin, TX for a week at the end of September to visit my boyfriend. I need to put money in my account so I can afford the plane ticket, though lol. Does anybody know anything fun to do there?

I luckily have an insanely bright, Pucci-esque inspired print luggage bag. I went to visit my cousin in California, and she saw it coming down the luggage belt. She turned to me, and said,"oh, that HAS to be yours." That's one way not to confuse your luggage with anybody else's. Plus Target has really cute luggage tags now. There's a pack i may get that has a cartoon monkey and cartoon bird. So i'm going to get those, too.
    Or you can use neon orange duct tape because your bag won't close. My friend did this last year when we went on our cruise. We always knew which suitcase was hers as no one else had orange duct tape on theirs.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fan

Has anyone used Priceline? I've always been a little nervous using them. I want to go to Florida the last weekend in September for a wedding. The normal flights on Travelocity and Expedia are around 290. I checked Priceline and it said I could get a flight for 50.00. Is that true? My fear is that I will have to fly around the country 5 times before I even get to my destination- and it will probably be at midnight! If anyone has any advice for Priceline- please let me know. I hate that you can't *okay* anything prior to purchasing.
    Thanks!

^^ I LOVE priceline!! My boyfriend uses them every time he comes to visit. He paid a little less than $600 for 10 nights in a 3 star hotel, and 2 flights [New York to Charlotte and vise versa.]

To us, it seemed like an amazing deal, since the hotel was so nice. He also had a lot of flight times to choose from.
    Currently Loving: Mystery from The Pickup Artist
    Currently Excited About: The modeling competition that I'm in! Wish me luck, guys...
    *Runner Up in the Kyle XY Caption Contest! Whoo!*

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by RealityDiva;2475509;
    ^^ I LOVE priceline!! My boyfriend uses them every time he comes to visit. He paid a little less than $600 for 10 nights in a 3 star hotel, and 2 flights [New York to Charlotte and vise versa.]

To us, it seemed like an amazing deal, since the hotel was so nice. He also had a lot of flight times to choose from.
    So, you actually get some decent choices? I was afraid that I would have to get terrible flight times and 4 stops!

+ Reply to Thread