+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remedies, Tips & Tricks

Everyone of you are so kind!
    I'm so glad you find it helpful, because I sure did.
    There's gobs of info, & I haven't even begun to see it all.

To me the site is kind of like Disney World...
    You can tour it 100 times and still not see everything...
    There's always something new to take in!

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf;2243522;
    Thanks for sharing that website. Looks like they have a lot of neat ideas. I've added it to my favorites.
    For cleaning the microwave they suggest putting a soaked sponge in and cooking for two minutes. I fill a coffee cup with water heat til it boils and then let sit for a few minutes. You will be amazed at how easily the microwave wipes clean.
    A recent local news story reported that there have been a few fires from the sponge method, and HIGHLY recommend not doing that.

Just a note of warning for those who have been doing that.

I put the sponge in for 45 seconds all the time. I've never had a fire. I also don't know if I'm even sterilizing it.

Put a little vinegar in the cup with the water in the microwave and it helps to clean and neutralizes odors at the same time.

I keep forgeetting how long to put the sponge in the microwave, but I would guess the higher the wattage the shorter the time ? Two minutes does sound way too long.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Re: Remedies, Tips & Tricks

New household hint I read today: The water from dehumidifiers is demineralized and is good for use in irons and steamers. This makes me very happy because I hate trying to clean out the calcium and whatnot from my iron and my steamer is now bordering on totally dysfunctional.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Hey, bumping this thread because my daughter (first week in a dorm) had a laundry mishap. There was a red sock left in the washing machine when she washed her whites She is not worried about her socks, but her favourite pair of white pants are now pink. She knew enough not to put them in the dryer. I looked on the website at the top of the page (great site, bookmarked it as well ) and it said:

Bleeding of Colors: Your red shirt got mixed in with other clothes and ruined them? First off, DON'T DRY THEM! Wash again with regular detergent and color-safe bleach. If that didn't work, Rit®, the makers of clothes dye, makes a color remover that works wonders and doesn't cost much. To prevent bleeding in the first place, wash in cold water; I also use a cup of salt OR a scoop of Oxi Clean® with every load.
    She is coming home for a visit in a couple of weeks ( Via rail) and I was wondering does anyone have any other recommendations or favourite tricks? I'll try bleach as a last resort, but doesn't it turn things kind of yellow? Thanks for any tips.

If that were me, I'd take the path of least resistance. My favorite white pants would now be my favorite pink pants.

Me too! But I thought I would give it the old college try. Probably a weak bleach solution wouldn't hurt too much since they're cotton. She is resigned to having pink socks though and doesn't really care about that

MRD

Bleach is my favorite thing!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Don't know if this suggestion is on the website, but my mom always used vinegar for sunburn. Just a little bit on some cotton dabbed on the burned area, or added to a tub of cool water for a larger dunking. You don't smell too great afterwards, but it takes the sting out of the burn.

Also, a fresh slice of raw onion can reduce the pain of a bee sting.
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast