+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Car Repair Advice

Is it a steel belted tire? One of them could have snapped. That will cause a shimmy at higher speeds, too.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Now stop that! I'm not sure. I do know that I got a flat tire last summer and had to get a new tire and when the other 3 had to be replaced before winter they told me the difference in the 2 kinds of tires could cause a shimmy, but I hadn't noticed it before now. I don't do a lot of long-distance driving. Mostly around town.
    Count your blessings!

Leo
    Premium Member
    This was pretty interesting.

Honda paying out $6 million for 'overclocked' odometers - Engadget

If you've been wondering how your Honda or Acura just seems to cover ground an awful lot quicker than your previous ride without even getting you a speeding ticket, listen up. Apparently, around six million Honda / Acura owners have been wheeling around in vehicles that are clicking off miles quite a bit faster than they're actually being driven. The Society of Automotive Engineers' voluntary standard for fluctuation in an odometer "is plus or minus 4-percent," and strangely enough, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration doesn't even regulate it. Honda claims that its units were "accurate to within 3.75-percent" on the high side, but a lawsuit against them claims that's just a bit too close for the average consumer's well-being. The automaker will be shelling out over $6 million in overcharges for leasers who were unfairly penalized for exceeding the agreed upon mileage, and will also extend the warranty mileage five-percent. Of course, Honda has since tightened up its standards (read: fixed the programming bug), purportedly "aiming for zero" in regard to future error, but if you happen to own a Honda / Acura purchased between April of 2002 and November of last year (or a select '07 Honda Fit), these benefits should be coming your way pending a district court judgment on the settlement.

I saw that yesterday, Leo. At first I was excited, because even though I don't even have 50,000 miles on my 2003 Civic, my shocks are blown because of the potholes in this city. But I think I'm outside that 5 percen adjustment.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Go raise a stink with them anyway Lucy. They might still give you something. Heck my friend Carol would parlay this into a new car.

Tsk tsk tsk, Unk... I would kick your behind if you came into one of my stores (I used to be an Area Service Manager...heh)

Shocks are a maintenance item, generally after the first 12/12, unless there was a blatant parts failure.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

What does 12/12 mean?

Oh, oh! I think this is a car thing I actually know! I think it's 12 months or 12,000 miles.

Really? I can't believe shocks would wear out that quickly. I've never had to replace them in a car before.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2250085;
    Tsk tsk tsk, Unk... I would kick your behind if you came into one of my stores (I used to be an Area Service Manager...heh)
    I'd welcome the challenge.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast