+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Car Repair Advice

I've heard coffee grounds work wonders to neutralize strong smells like that. However, kitty litter is probably best to absorb whatever is left behind.

Maybe cover the spot with litter, press it down with something heavy, and leave a nice sachet of French Roast nearby?

Quote Originally Posted by 11sstephanie;2240169;
    ...fill up our 2-gallon gas tanks so we'd be able to clear off our driveway.
    OK, Californian here wondering what this is all about. Are you saying you use gasoline to remove ice from your driveway? Or am I reading this wrong?
    I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

totoro....the gas if for the snowblowers!

Whew! I was trying to figure out why anyone would think that was a good idea. Thanks for easing my mind.
    I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

Quote Originally Posted by totoro;2240645;
    I've heard coffee grounds work wonders to neutralize strong smells like that. However, kitty litter is probably best to absorb whatever is left behind.

Maybe cover the spot with litter, press it down with something heavy, and leave a nice sachet of French Roast nearby?
    I think you are supposed to burn coffee grounds to neutralize odors. Seriously that will work but not in a car. I think you are supposed to sprinkle unused coffee grounds on it and let it sit. I have also read rubbing alcohol, and the old standby vinegar will work. And didn't they use Dawn Dish washing liquid to clean oil from animals after that oil spill ? Just be sure to absorb all of any excess moisture either by wicking or wet-vac'ing

There is also a deodorant product called Nok-Out that a local home repair columnist swears by for home and car use ... but I believe it's only available on-line.

There is a readily available deodorant spray called Ozium that has worked well for me to neutralize odors in the car and perhaps you could spray after you absorb with the coffee or litter/baking soda mixture.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by totoro;2240645;
    OK, Californian here wondering what this is all about. Are you saying you use gasoline to remove ice from your driveway? Or am I reading this wrong?
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha haha!
    I'd try the baking soda/kitty litter and then swab it down with Dawn. Dawn is awesome! It makes the best bubbles, too (1/5 Dawn/water)
    Count your blessings!

Sorry to double post - new problem. I went to chemo today (an hour away) and had a shimmy at high speeds. I even got off the highway to check for a flat. Would plowing through thick, icy snow make my wheels out of alignment? Is there anything else it could be? I have to drive to the airport on Sat. Should I try to have this new place that did my light check it out tomorrow?
    Count your blessings!

It can be as simple as a clump of snow or mud throwing off the balance of a tire. If you can park in an above-freezing environment tonight, your problem may melt away.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Exactly what I was going to say... Especially if you have hubcaps. If you can't park inside, I've filled a water bottle (drink bottle with a squirt cap) with hot tap water and goosh it under the hubcap... It will usually melt whatever snow or ice you have caked on the rims...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

So, my question to all of you is do any of you know how to get gasoline out of a car's floormat without my dad realizing that there was ever anything wrong? This car means a lot to him, right after his Scirocco and CR-V, and he'll hit the roof if he smells the gas. Any suggestions?
    The same thing happened to me once, except it was a station wagon and before I could stop and right the gas container, it flowed under the back seat and was absorbed up into the foam that is the back seat... not to mention that the gas melted the rubber coating on the sound proofing material that was under the carpet and made a HUGE tar like mess... You don't wanna know what I had to do, but it included stripping the interior down to the metal from the driver's seat back...

I would suggest taking the mat out of the car and leaving it out in the air so the gas can evaporate... Scrubbing with a detergent over and over again... Hopefully it's not a huge mat and if you have to you can go online and buy another one...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

Thank you for getting back to me so quick on the tires! I have a lot to do before my trip tomorrow and don't really have time for a long car repair job. I'll try the hot water trick. I did have to drive through some thick, icy snow/slush/ice the day before and when I backed into the spot I had cleared for my car in the driveway I ended up mid-tire in snow overnight, so that sounds like it could be it. I'd hate to think that this new, fast place I've discovered for small car problems is the kind of place where you go in for one thing and the next day you have a new problem.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast