+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Car Repair Advice

Not at all gabriel. That's why they are rubbing compounds for car detailing. It's not only sun that fades paint but grime and such left on a painted surface can screw it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2239535;
    Not at all gabriel. That's why they are rubbing compounds for car detailing. It's not only sun that fades paint but grime and such left on a painted surface can screw it up.
    But.... the grime isn't messing up the paint, per se, but rather dulling the clearcoat. Today's cars shouldn't have significant paint fading with the protection that clearcoat provides. A good buff job/detailing will fix clearcoat scratches/grime easily.

I've always been told that the spray wax jobs offered at car washes are relatively useless. A car needs a good hand buff.

Speaking of which.. people.. never ever ever let a car dealer sell you 1) an added undercoat protection at the time of sale or 2) a special Scotchguard protection added to your fabric seats and floors. All vehicle parts that are exposed to the elements these days come preundercoated and all seat fabrics already are treated with Scotchguard (or a similar fabric protection.) Any Scotchguarding put on after the fact just rubs off when you sit on the seats and move your feet on the floor. PSA for the day.

ClosetNerd.... I vote for it's worse to leave the salt sitting on your car. I'm pretty bad about that as well and my car is currently a beautiful shade of road salt white overtop a prettier deep navy blue. *sigh* Leaving the salt sitting in place encourages possible damage as it has time to damage the clearcoat (depending upon the chemical makeup of the salt.. although I don't know that mine's ever suffered actual damage.) It's kind of like bird guano... if you let it sit there it eventually will "burn" a ring into your clearcoat. But if you had fresh bird guano on your car it would never do anything. Does that make sense??
    Last edited by Broadway; 02-13-2007 at 09:13 AM.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2239541;
    But.... the grime isn't messing up the paint, per se, but rather dulling the clearcoat. Today's cars shouldn't have significant paint fading with the protection that clearcoat provides. A good buff job/detailing will fix it easily.
    That's pretty much what I was trying to say. I sometimes still revert back to the days of old however when clear coat wasn't an everyday thing.

I knew that's what you were going for, Unk. I was just trying to add on/confirm your statement. Sorry!!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I'm on the right side of the law again! *phew!* Compromised and went to a Speedy oil place. 20 min. All done. Filled it up with gas and am ready to withstand the oncoming storm.
    Count your blessings!

Well, learn something everyday. I never thought about it when I had my cars. I always turtle waxed them every couple of weeks with the PASTE type. Let me tell you sometime about the time I did it, sat down in the chair in the yard and fell asleep for 6 hours, man! that car took me about another 5 hours to buff out, but boy did it shine!

I Is Stephanie
    So this isn't about the outside of the car, but the inside.

So we've got this HUGE storm coming (Gutmutter has probably already told you about it,) and my mom needed to fill up our 2-gallon gas tanks so we'd be able to clear off our driveway. On the way back from the gas station, the gas spilled into the trunk. She had a think coating of paper bags down, and they absorbed most of it, but there was a very small patch that bled through to the carpet. So now her car reeks of gasoline (regular, not premium- SCANDAL!), and she has no way to get it out.

So, my question to all of you is do any of you know how to get gasoline out of a car's floormat without my dad realizing that there was ever anything wrong? This car means a lot to him, right after his Scirocco and CR-V, and he'll hit the roof if he smells the gas. Any suggestions?
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

Baking soda maybe?

I Is Stephanie
    I don't know, my only thought is that it can take a while to get the soda out, and it's the middle of Winter. It would be fairly impractical to bring the mat inside, as it's the trunk mat of a Mazda MPV. I'll suggest it to her, though.

And gee, I just realized that I started all 3 paragraphs of my last post with 'So.' I guess I need to work on that.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

Baking soda mixed with kitty litter should do the trick. Use the standard size baking soda, I think it comes in one pound boxes and about a pound of kitty litter (non clumping).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast