+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Car Repair Advice

Would it tell me in the operator's manual how to do it?
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2238019;
    Would it tell me in the operator's manual how to do it?
    It probably does... You may not even need tools... A lot of them are just a plug in wire and a metal clip that you can pinch to remove. Very easy... The local gas station can probably do it in 5 minutes... Or if you go into a place like Pep Boys they'll do it for the price of the bulb...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie;2238102;
    It probably does... You may not even need tools... A lot of them are just a plug in wire and a metal clip that you can pinch to remove. Very easy... The local gas station can probably do it in 5 minutes... Or if you go into a place like Pep Boys they'll do it for the price of the bulb...
    Just FYI - my 2003 NIssan Murano's operator manual said to take the vehicle to the dealer to change the bulb. There didn't appear to be ANY easy way to remove the cover for the light from the inside or the out. My boyfriend looked at it as well, so I had to take it in.

PGM... I was going to say the same thing. It is not easy to replace the light bulb or even the entire lamp assembly on most new cars. The engine compartments are so tight these days that it's a pretty intricate fit. And most companies have gone to complete assemblies for the lamps instead of an easily repairable bulb.

Your manual should be able to tell you which yours will be, Gutmutter.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

And I agree... If it's not clear in the manual, and especially if you have to remove and change the entire assembly, to take it to someone who knows how to do it... THere are actually a lot of things to screw up... Like the way the head light aims... That can be dangerous if it's pointing at oncoming traffic... Or resealing the light assembly, you can get moisture in there and it will never go away... Even touching the halogen bulb can damage it...

But I know with my honda, it's a clip and a wire that plugs in and it's in the book... It can be that easy...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

My Intrepid was pretty involved when it came to changing the headlight. You ha to disassemble the whole headlight fixture to get to it.

I tried changing a headlamp on a 97 honda and ended up breaking the damn socket. So i paid for my friend to take it in to be repalaced. Take the car to a pro Gutmutter.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    ClosetNerd's earlier post about something rattling under the car reminded me of a short story about one of my co-workers....she had been having trouble with her mini-van so she took it into a local mechanic for him to check it out under the hood. He called her later in the day and told her he had fixed whatever it was that was wrong (I can't remember!) so she took her lunch break and went to pick it up. On the way back to work she kept hearing something knocking under the hood. She got to work and lifted up the hood and you'll never guess what she found? Her mechanic's portable telephone! You'd think he'd notice he was missing a phone!

She ended up stopping by on her way home to give it to him and he had never even missed it. I guess he had been thinking all day "WOW! I love the peace and quiet..maybe I can get something accomplished today!"
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Thanks everyone. I feel like a criminal driving at night now. My older daughter said hers has been out for a year and she gets stopped all the time! Yikes! I read her the riot act and she laughed at me.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2239132;
    Thanks everyone. I feel like a criminal driving at night now.
    I thought I saw your picture at the post office today.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast