+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Car Repair Advice

I'm from the last generation of women who know NOTHING about what's under the hood. If a car dies on me, I check the oil. I know how to do that.
    Count your blessings!

Ew car problems.

My 2002 Dodge Stratus is costing me money lately. In the last 8 months I have put about $2,000 in various repairs and concerns and issues. I don't really trust my mechanic and I guess that means I need to find a new place. My tire/brake place I'm comfortable with, I love my oil change guy but I've taken my car to this place twice for the big issues and I just don't walk away with a good feeling. I mean, my car is working again but why don't I feel good about the experience?

Or should I forget feeling good about it and just focus on the fact that the heat works, it's not dripping coolant and the engine isn't overheating in 2 degree weather?
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I wouldn't forget the feeling.
    We were taking our old car to a place like that a while back.. It seemed every time they fixed one problem, something new would suddenly arise. The car was only 10 years old and had been owned by Husband's Grandparents before us and taken care of beautifully. Never even driven in the snow.
    Anyway, I got very wise to them when once, we were returning home FROM THE REPAIR SHOP and something started rattling like heck under the car.
    Turns out, "somehow" all the bolts that hold the big metal plate up under the front of the motor had "come lose" and the plate was rattling off.

Now, some of you may or may not know much about cars... but any dodo should know, you shouldn't have to go anywhere near that are to change rotors in the back tires.

We found a new mechanic, and not only did our repair bills go down dramatically, but each time something was fixed it stayed fixed.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

I don't know about y'all, but I've always had much better luck with little local mechanics that have been in business 20 years than with the flashy chain places. I figure, the little local guy wouldn't stay in business if he didn't do good, honest work. When I was growing up, we had a mechanic who, during the year between the time my dad died and I learned to drive, would come to our house and get the car if it needed repair, knowing we only had one driver in the house. He would tell us what we had to fix and what could wait, or what could be done more cheaply. Now, if I don't get that kind of vibe from a mechanic, I find a new one. So if you don't feel good about your mechanic, Nlmcp, I'd go to someone else.

I couldn't agree more. I had a mechanic who would do what was needed, recommend what I should do and he would know when I called & said who I was, what car I was driving etc.. God Bless those independent garages.

I totally agree with gabriel, Ruth and CosetNerd. If you feel something is funny about your mechanic find another soon.

I take care of all the repairs and maintenance on our cars and I have dealt with big chains and small independent shops. The one thing I like about the small guys is that they are in the same boat, money wise, most of us are. They are looking to save money and still get the job done. I do let them know that cost is a concern and most of them will do like gabriel and Ruth say. Fix, wait or cheap. They will also, most of the time be more flexible about dropping off and picking up your car. I hate to wait around for hours and unless it's a short 30 minute or less job my mechanic runs me home or lends me his car. Good Luck I hope you find some place better soon.

This may sound really, really stoopid, but I don't know so I'm asking. I have my first new car ever (Hyundai Tiburon - now 3 years old). I've always taken it to the dealership where I got it for everything - the first 3 oil changes were free. Now I have a headlight out - got stopped by the police for the first time in my life! - and can't fit the 30 min. drive each way. Can any mechanic fix that?
    Count your blessings!

Oh yeah Gut. That's an easy one
    Good luck.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

you bet they can.

It's an easy do-it-yourself if you want to start getting your hands dirty under the hood.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast