+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Have you met anyone on-line in person?

Really, Eden?!? How did you guys recognize each other? Did you recognize her long Muppetly hair? Or was she just shocked to see Cybill Shepherd saunter into the salon?
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

That's awesome Libra!

I had a group of online friends and ended up meeting them one summer after 4 years of online 'friendship' I took a road trip and met them in their cities at restaurants, malls, wherever there was a large amount of people. It was fabulous. As I said, I had known them for over 4 years and still talk to them on a regular basis even though I don't have AOL any longer. (We met through AOL Message Boards)

Great experience and I am always glad to share stories with people that like me, have a circle of online friends.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

BravoFan and her husband paid a visit when they were vacationing in our neck of the woods last fall. It was a really nice get-together. Bravo even brought flowers for my wife. And she was really sweet to my kids, which I appreciated.

The only thing I wished we'd done is take a picture of the occasion. I thought of it as their rental car pulled away from the curb.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    ! No picture to prove it!

Yep, Paulie and Mrs. Paulie and the little Paulies are the only people I've ever met from online and it was a great experience!

There are lots of people from the FORT that I hope to meet someday!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Hey! Stop making fun of my posts! j/k, Anyways My parents probably would never let me meet anyone for the internet. My mom's got this little "Everyone is bad for the internet" thing, but Iguess you really can't be to careful these days
    Peace

Sleeping with George W
    Paulie, Sher had recommended this stylist to me ... and I had told the stylist that we were online acquaintances.

One day I had gone to see the manicurist down the hall from the hair stylist, so I popped my head in to say hello to the hair stylist before I left.

The stylist's eyes get real big. She looks and me and points to Sher. She looks at Sher and points at me. She keeps pointing at the both of us, and then we realized what she meant. It was a really nice coincidence!

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Cool story Eden! That's so fun!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Cool, Eden!

Before I had computer, I used to penpal and write letters with heaps of people all over the world, especially deaf people. It was a lot of fun, and one friend of mine came to visit me in 1991 from Germany. Then my Japanese friend came to visit a couple of times. I went to Europe, and visited a few of my penpals there. Now I keep in touch with most of them by internet.

I have met a few people from internet, mostly deaf people. It is harder to meet with hearing people of course, 'cos they are not sure how to do the communication thingie, but I have also met some hearing people.

No horror stories. I think a lot of it has to do with having common sense, depending on your instincts and knowing if you should keep that person as a friend or not.

The most recent person I met from online was last July, before to that, we chatted for a while, like 2 months. We decided to meet in person in a restaurant. It was a lot of fun.

Another really cool thing about this is that you have webcams, and if you get in touch with deaf friends, you can chat in sign language! 8O)

Marc

Re: Modesty's story

(Friend thought she was going to meet a man, and the "man" turned out to be a woman.)

Response: Hey, didn't I read this story in last month's Penthouse Forum? Just kidding, Modesty! That was a story that brought a grin to my face, although I'm sure your friend wasn't grinning at the time.

Re: Paulie's reaction to Sher and Eden meeting

(Really, Eden?!? How did you guys recognize each other? Did you recognize her long Muppetly hair? Or was she just shocked to see Cybill Shepherd saunter into the salon.)

Response: , Paulie! And I thought I was the only one who will forever associate posters with their avatars. (I mean, to this date, dude, I've seen your picture post-laser surgery, and I still think you look like your avatar, man. Didn't get a chance to congratulate you on that operation, Paulie. I know it's a little late now, but... )

Well, first of all, let me say that I'm a little surprised by the folks here who met their significant others online. Not "Holy crap, I came home to a robber in my dark house" surprised, but a "Hey, cool, the tooth fairy left me a dollar" surprised.

Ya see, I thought I was going to be one of the few to post a story like that, and I'm pleasantly surprised to learn there's quite a few, including stories from posters I like and admire on the FoRT.

Well, let's see--

I had a relationship with a woman I met online. We started out as friends, and it became something more. It didn't work out for a number of reasons I won't go into here. (Nothing criminal, just the sort of thing that happens when two people don't click after all.)

Soon after, I started talking on the phone to a woman I chatted online with for years. I never expected to have a romantic relationship with her, and after speaking with her for a few weeks, she decided, on a whim, to fly out to visit me in California.

We drove cross-country that summer back to her home in Birmingham, Alabama. (I mean, come on, folks, I'm sure some of you realized SOMETHING was up when I've talked about moving from California to Alabama. ) In a month's time, it will have been two years. I love my "Little Camel" (Audience: "Aaawww..."), and although we've had our problems like all couples do, she's the light of my life and my strength and confidence. (And, yes, Wayner, Paulie, John and any other wise-guys out there: be advised you have full authority to crack on me with the "Little Camel" pet name in any and all situations you see fit.)

Let me tell you something: If you can survive driving cross-country for six days through some of the hottest places on Earth (Mojave Desert, for example) in a ten-year old Honda with NO AIR CONDITIONING, your relationship can survive just about anything. Yes, even her relatives coming over to your home for Christmas brunch...on four days' notice.

Finally, I've also met a chat friend from Holland. Terrific woman. Just friends. It went well. That's all three, I think.

I've spoken on the phone to a few.

And, I don't know about the rest of you guys who met your wives or girlfriends online, but while I wasn't a hermit in real life when it came to the ladies, I've had much better luck online. Especially after I get them with the chloroform.

Kidding, kidding...!
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast