+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Have you met anyone on-line in person?

I make it a point to drag one of my 'real life' friends when ever I go out to meet net friends. I don't think there's anything to fear if you are in a public place, and be careful of what you eat and drink.
    “In Rrrussia, vee have proverb: Only bad soliders don’t vant to be general.” Sasha Pivovarova

Normally, people whom I meet online go to the same school as I do or are friends of people I know. I don't normally meet up with strangers I have met online.

Take Puppie for example. I asked for help in HTML coding in our school's (well, his ex-school now) mIRC channel and we're really good friends now. Still a little too shy to say much to each other face-to-face (Hey, I did say thank you to you for lending me your Norah Jones album right?) but we're good friends.

There's nothing wrong with meeting people you've met online in person, but I think it's unwise for teenage girls (like me) to meet up with men they've met online. Because uh, you know, just in case?

I met my husband online :-) I'm originally from Norway and he's Californian and we chatted on IRC for over 2 years while I finished school. Started out as friends then it kind of evolved. After I finished university in Norway, I flew out here to meet him finally, and there was no doubt in my mind that we were meant to be so ... 1 months after I got here, he proposed to me...and another week after that we got married.
    It has been 5 years now, and I'm so happy :-)

I guess people thought I was a nutcase going all the way to USA to meet someone I had only spoken to online.... but I figured that since we had chatted for over 2 years it would be okay. If he had been a psychopathic axe murderer, I dont think he would've waited for me for that long .........

Other than my husband, I've met a lot of people from online.
    Back in Norway we were several people from the same town taht chatted online & we met & hung out together alot.
    I must say though it's less scary to meet people from the internet in Norway cause even though we do have our share of freaks, there are a lot less freaks than you'd encounter out here. So that's why we all felt safe meeting & we all became really great friends.

After I came to the US, I have been online a lot, mostly gaming, and one of my current best friends I met through playing Ultima Online when I first came out here. He lives in Washington State & this summer we met for the first time =) It was awesome.

So I've had great experiences with meeting people from online, I knew all I've met pretty well by the time we hooked up in real life.

Of course I'll be forever grateful for the internet for bringing me in touch with my hubby :-D
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

Well , one of the first people i ever chatted to on irc became a really good friend. It turned out that we knew a lot of the same people. I didn't meet him straight away though. We talked on the phone for more than a year before we actually met. We're still in touch & we're still good friends.

I used to go into a chat room for a long time, it was a woman's point of view room. A few of us lived within about a 60 mile radius and one day we all got together in the center for lunch. It was alot of fun, it was very different to met all these women who I had been chatting with for over a year. We had a great time but never did it again, it was too darn hard to plan.

This same group started having "nationwide" parties once a year. I never went to it but they went to Vegas at least 3 times with about 20-30 women showing up to party.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Sleeping with George W
    I met my husband through an online dating service. We e-mailed for months before we ever met in person.

I also met my best friend online. She hired me to do writing, design and some scripting for an online game that I had been playing for a long time. We became very good friends and, although we live across the country from one another, we visit at least once a year.

I've met a lot of my friends first online, mostly because I was part of a large gaming community and we'd either meet up at gaming conventions or visit if/when we were in each other's home towns.

Agree totally with all the advice about being very careful when you meet someone in person that you've only known online and over the phone. Especially if you are a teen! Most of the people I've met have been wonderful and perfectly "normal," but I have met a few weirdos too!

I've met SEVERAL people from my online groups of friends...somewhere around 20 of them or so now? Something like that over the past 5 years or so.

Most of my group of friends met back in the first days of WebTV and we all played a game in Talk City called Ridiculist. After the first year or so groups of people started getting together that lived in certain areas/states to meet up and have little
    "Rid-reunions" as we called them. I went to one in Tampa that was a weekend stay at a beachfront hotel that had about 15 people there (I made my former roommate go with me for the just in cases, I agree to always take some care, especially going into the large group I was really nervous). There were also several up in NY where one of our girls owned a bar so that was a good common place for everyone to meet up...I finally made it up there this past October (after 5 years of chatting online) to meet some of those folks and hang out for an extended weekend.

The other way I end up meeting my online pals in person is living where I do...whenever somebody comes down to Orlando on vacation then I can usually meet up with them for a day at one of the parks or a nice dinner out or show them around somehow. I've met another 4 of my friends that way, and also did just the opposite when I was out in Vegas on vacation and met up with a friend that lives out there and he took me out for the night to show me around. Hmmm I also got to see rural KY that way since I was on vacation nearby and went down to meet another lady that I'd been chatting with and spent the weekend with her.

I can't resist adding a pic...this was last Oct when I went up to NY to meet the ladies I've been chatting with for SO long...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by libra1022; 03-10-2003 at 09:51 AM.

Oh pooh I still don't know how to do a 2nd attachment on the same post so here's another one from meeting the group of online pals out in Tampa.

(on a side note 2 of the couples from this are now married!! The girl in green and the guy in white next to her in back met this weekend and are now expecting their first child, and the guy on the far right back is married to the girl on the far left on bottom)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Princess
    Wow, that's awesome libra! Thanks for sharing!

I've never met anyone r/l that I've met online, but most stories I've heard are actually very good (as many of the ones above). I've heard a few pretty bad ones though where the ppl have set up to have a date and it turned out that one of the two have completely lied about their appearance and personality. One of the worst I heard was this woman who decided to meet a man she had been talking with for a while, and discovered that this man wasn't a man at all, but a woman!

I've never met anyone I've "Known" from the net. Although there are people I actually live somewhat close too and want to get together with for lunch!!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast