+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Where in the world?!

I will not go to Boston's airport. I always fly out of Hartford, CT. You just take an exit off the interstate and you're there. You have to be a rocket scientist to get to Logan. Of course, flying to Africa, I had to fly out of there, but someone else drove.
    Count your blessings!

I Is Stephanie
    My family uses the Greene ariport in Providence, RI, or, in an extreme case, my dad's been known to use JFK. I went to Logan when I was 3, I don't remember much, but it was really big and confusing, and dirty. I remember lots of dirt.

And I don't see Boston streets as that bad....maybe because my mom drives Bostonian, and I've been there literally, hundreds of times. And when I get my permit, my mom won't let me go for my license until I can drive Boston as well as her.

So enlighten me....what exactly is so horrible about driving in Boston, other then the condition of the roads?
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I've driven in Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, Seattle, London, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Stockholm, Singapore, Melbourne, Auckland etc. ... and that was all easier for me than finding my way around Boston. I like cities that have a rectangular grid. Boston seemed like everything was diagonal and/or circular! Now granted, I only drove there for a few days. But I didn't care for it one bit. Lovely city, though. New York--easy to find your way around. Not so easy to find parking!

Some of my friends who grew up in the burbs still have a difficult time parallel parking. I had to learn in the city so no probs here!

I Is Stephanie
    You must have missed the medical district then. It has a couple of parallel roads.... I think....
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2225929;
    I've driven in Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, Seattle, London, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Stockholm, Singapore, Melbourne, Auckland etc. ... and that was all easier for me than finding my way around Boston. I like cities that have a rectangular grid. Boston seemed like everything was diagonal and/or circular!

Lois, don't ever try to drive in Atlanta, should you ever decide for some unfathomable reason to come here. I didn't drive too much when I went to Boston, but just didn't see what all the hoopla about traffic, crazy drivers, and weird streets was about. Then I remembered that I work in traffic hell, and have to drive there every day.
    Our stuff isn't even circular or diagonal, it's more like S shapes and stars; streets begin and end out of nowhere, you'll have four lanes going one way, and the next street over will be dead end or veering off at a 110 degree angle away from where you're trying to go, and oh yeah, we have about 20 roads named some form of "Peachtree" all in close proximity to one another. I know people who have lived here all their lives and still gan't navigate the city without getting horribly lost and winding up in some of the worst places you can imagine!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

And THAT is why I have a phobia of driving in cities. I'm not even kidding. I can handle spiders and snakes and ladders and needles but driving in a city turns me into a puddle of jello.
    Count your blessings!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2226939;
    Lois, don't ever try to drive in Atlanta, should you ever decide for some unfathomable reason to come here. I didn't drive too much when I went to Boston, but just didn't see what all the hoopla about traffic, crazy drivers, and weird streets was about. Then I remembered that I work in traffic hell, and have to drive there every day.
    Our stuff isn't even circular or diagonal, it's more like S shapes and stars; streets begin and end out of nowhere, you'll have four lanes going one way, and the next street over will be dead end or veering off at a 110 degree angle away from where you're trying to go, and oh yeah, we have about 20 roads named some form of "Peachtree" all in close proximity to one another. I know people who have lived here all their lives and still gan't navigate the city without getting horribly lost and winding up in some of the worst places you can imagine!
    I will 2nd the horror of driving in Atlanta!!! .....Its a mess!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

MRD
    I third the Atlanta driving. And I havn't been there in years. When we moved to Greenville, we were lucky they now have an Atlanta bypass that we could take and miss it all together.

Greenville streets must have been laid out by the same person that did Atlanta. But our traffic isn't as bad. But the roads change names and curve around and vear off and its just crazy. BUT that's how I've found out where a lot of stuff is as I spent the first two months getting lost and now I'm better at finding my way around than my husband.

I've always heard that Boston was bad, but DC takes it for me. Everytime I have been there, we park and then take the metro everywhere or a cab. No driving in DC, its too horrible and confusing and traffic is terrible, oh and no one speaks English in the Nations capital either so forget asking directions.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Ah yes, the thrill of Atlanta at rush hour, whenever that is. I've been through that city at all hours of the day and night and it's always a nightmare. Atlanta and Dallas are two cities I steer clear of if at all possible. I'll map a course around them someway.

Boston - my understanding is that Boston's street system evolved from colonial days with no planning. Foot paths became lanes became streets, etc. So they meander and multiple streets come together at weird angles. Then traffic circles were added at those weird intersections. The first time I was in Boston I was a kid and closed my eyes while my dad drove as I was sure we were going to be in an accident. I flew there on business a couple of times in the 80s. The first time I tried to return my rental car, I had to circle the airport as I missed my exit the first time.

DC - We were there this summer and the Metro is definitely the way to go. The streets are confusing enough without some of them switching directions during rush hour.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678