+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dvd -r/dvd +r?

Dvd -r/dvd +r?

Does anyone know what the difference in these is? I got a DVD recorder for Christmas and need to buy some blank DVD's but I have no idea what to look for. I know the difference between R and RW but beyond that I'm lost. Also, does anyone know what a good price on blank DVD's is?

Thanks!

I don't think there's much difference in quality other than manufacturers creating more unnecessary problems for us. But unfortunately it is important that you buy the right type for your recorder. Check your owners manual to see what type it says to buy. If you still have the box, it should also say on there what type. Some recorders can do both types. And to add to the confusion, even if your recorder only records (writes) in one format, it might still be able to play ( read) the other format. And sometimes what you record on one device won't read on another (such as from computer to player and vice versa). They really need to unify the technology. There's no need to have all these different types other than to make money of course.

DVD's are more costly than cd's but often you can put the same stuff on a cd that you can a dvd. I think the main difference is storage space. I think I paid about $13 or $14 for a pack of 25 but maybe it was 50. I got them at Walmart but places like Best Buy sometimes have sales with rebates (if you don't mind mailing in rebates).

And it's cheaper to buy them on one of those round plastic holders that holds as many as 100 than it is to buy them with individual cases. You can always buy a pack of cases or sleeves separately if you want something to put them in after you burn something.

Oh, and some recorders / computers can record on dual layer dvd's but I don't think you have to specifically buy a dual layer dvd for your recorder. I think dual layer just means they hold more than the average dvd. I'm sure someone with more knowledge on the subject can correct me or expand on it. Dual layer dvd's are also more expensive, or they used to be.

And in case you don't know "R" means permanent once burned and "RW" means it can be erased or added onto, similar to a vcr tape.

Here's a site that explains it better and if you google, you can find other info as well.

http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/...sExplained.asp

ETA: I did find an article that most of the newer models do both and if you just got yours for Christmas, you might have one that can. And further reading suggested that DVD + R is a little better than -R even though most consumers wouldn't know the difference.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 01-24-2007 at 01:52 PM.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Thanks! That was a lot of help. My husband got me some blank DVD's to go with the recorder but I have a $5 coupon to use at Staples so I thought I would buy some. I don't think the ones I have have the - or +, I'll have to check.

They have to be one or the other, karna, but most players now can read either one. It's a hangover from early dvd players, kind of like the old VCRs that were either Beta or VHS. Thankfully the dvd player makers have just integrated the formats and not made one or the other obsolete
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

The ones I currently have are DVD+R so I guess I'll stick with those!

+ Reply to Thread