+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HBP and High Cholesterol... what's the best spread?

HBP and High Cholesterol... what's the best spread?

hehe ooops I spelled Cholesterol wrong :p

Wondering if anyone who has done research on this could help me out?

My aunt just found out that she has high blood pressure and high cholesterol, her doctor told her to change her eating habits and get some exercise.
    He gave her a list of healthy foods etc. and it just gives a generic reference to using a no cholesterol / low in saturated fats spread (but no brand names or reccomendation)

My aunt is a BUTTER fanatic so this is going to be difficult for her!

So far she tried one of the "Becel" spreads (I took her shopping and there were at least 6 different Becels to choose from )
    She wound up throwing the tub out after the first use, she said it tasted awful.

Does anyone know if there is a pleasant tasting margarine or spread that would fit the bill? (maybe something that mimics the flavor of butter?)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
    Last edited by lildago; 01-16-2007 at 12:19 PM.

Cleo, my husband uses Smart Balance spread and says it's really good. Of course he also says that Tofu is really good, so use your own judgement on his opinion.

For vegetables, I use Molly McButter and I don't even have any medical problems. I just really like the taste. Whole kernel corn, broccoli, squash or anything like that is very tasty with Molly McButter on it. She could try the smallest bottle (it's a shaker) and if she likes it, Sam's Club has two large bottles in a pack for much less tha you pay at regular grocery stores.

Premium Member
    Smart Balance does taste pretty good, but I have a tub sitting in my refrigerator not being used much because it's as hard as a stick of butter so it doesn't work real well on bread or toast. Good for hot veggies though. For veggies or other hot foods I like to use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter in the spray bottle. I don't know what it's made of because there's nothing in it. No calories, no fat, no cholesterol.

I use the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray, too, Marley. I love it on veggies. I'm a butter fanatic, and I can't tell the difference. Good stuff.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

We always have a tub of smart balance and a tub of smart balance light on hand. The light can be spread on anything straight from the fridge... but it's not good for cooking with because it doesn't really melt.

So, SB Regular for hot stuff
    Light for spreading cold.

And I rather like the flavor.. My husband is a butter man, but at the ripe old age of 26 he's already got high cholesterol.. So he has to "suffer" with the fake.

Personally I think that anyone who throws a whole tub of something away because they are that particular, is TOO particular. I mean, sheesh. Bake with it or something, don't waste it! [/lecture]
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

I checked and his is Smart Balance light. You're right, it spreads like room temp margarine.

Premium Member
    Hmm.. might have to try that. The thing I don't like about the light spreads though, is they have a high water content so they make your toast soggy. You can't bake with that stuff either for the same reason, too much water in it.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 01-16-2007 at 10:45 AM.

We've tried Smart Balance and it is too hard to spread. Add me to the I can't Believe It's Not Butter list. I can't tell the difference either.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I use Smart Balance Light and I have no problem with spreading it. If you leave it on the counter for a few minutes it softens so you can spread it. I also think it tastes like butter. I also enjoy the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray. It's wonderful for veggies, popcorn, and corn on the cob.

Count me in with the butter lovers. I buy light butter to put in mashed potatoes or on baked potatoes. A tablespoon has 50 calories and 5 grams of fat, just half of what regular butter has. I don't put butter on other vegetables, and I can't cook with the light butter because it isn't the same consistancy, but I'd honestly rather have none at all than to eat something that doesn't taste like the real thing. I also only eat maybe one slice of toast a week, and I don't eat rolls/biscuits/cornbread, so I don't think I'm getting enough to harm me.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast