+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HBP and High Cholesterol... what's the best spread?

I tried light butter once and was shocked at the odd watery droplets that formed all over it when you leave it on the counter. It makes a very odd butter like mass

I don't believe I have ever tried smart balance light on toast, but it's so handy for blueberry muffins!
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

The key is to limit saturated fats and substitute mono- or polyunsaturated fats. So instead of butter on toast, she would be better off with peanut butter on toast (just put a lighter amount like you're putting on butter, not making a PB&J sandwich).

Good sources of fat that will help lower that cholesterol: nuts, olives, avocados, canola oil, olive oil, flax seeds (ground), flax seed oil, fish oil capsules, fish with omega-3's (salmon). There's as canola oil spread called Canola Harvest.

High fiber foods are supposed to help with high cholesterol. Basically, if you have a bread, make sure it's whole grain (not just "wheat" or "brown" bread). Try low-glycemic carbohydrates instead of fast sugars.

This is more general advice but it's effective for getting that cholesterol down. Medication helps but only improves it a little bit, diet is really key to this problem.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Thanks for all the great feedback and recommendations...

Her biggest complaint was the non-buttery taste of the Becel but it sounds like the brands you have all mentioned solve that problem.

I've never really taken notice of the whole HBP/High Cholesterol problem before so this was foreign territory to me and all the information you guys have provided is wonderful and gives me a much better idea of ways she can alter her diet to produce the desired results.

Has she tried Benecol (or is that the same as Becel)? I usually use the Butter Buds but when I need that buttery texture I use Benecol. It's the stuff that Reege pimped a few years back.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump;2206336;
    Has she tried Benecol (or is that the same as Becel)? I usually use the Butter Buds but when I need that buttery texture I use Benecol. It's the stuff that Reege pimped a few years back.
    I've never heard of it so I went online to see if it's available in Canada

So far this is the information I've found...

Stanols and sterols. In the United States, these cholesterol-lowering compounds, which are derived from wood oils, are being added to margarines such as Benecol.
    The functional-food market is one of the fastest-growing segments of the U.S. food industry, and is also growing rapidly in Japan and England. In other countries, such as Canada, growth is slower because of current regulatory constraints.

Sounds like it probably isn't sold here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12