+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Losing a Mom

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: Losing a Mom

My dad remarried and retired a few months after my mom died and then planned to move to another city. He offered to let me come over and take whatever I wanted of my mom's but stuff didn't matter to me in my grief and I wasn't ready to face reminders of her. I'm still not able to look at pictures of her and it's been over 5 years since she died. Sometimes I wonder if I should have gotten something in case I wanted it later but for now, I'm happy enough with the memories of her. The way she was in the last few years of her life, when she had cancer, was not the way she was during most of her life so I'd rather have memories of her from happier times.
    lopevian likes this.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

My condolences to you, Ladyjade, on the loss of your dear Mom. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours.

Using material from some of the favorite outfits my Mom used to wear, I stitched together a quilt. Each patch has memories attached to it, and the entire quilt has my Mom's personality all over it. When I wrap myself up in it, it always feels like a warm hug from the lady herself.

(p.s. I believe my Mom likes that quilt all the more because she knows her accident prone daughter, who would be ill advised to ever attempt the operation of a sewing machine, stitched the entire quilt by hand)
    "...Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder..."

LadyJade, i am so deeply sorry to hear about your mom. My thoughts and prayers are to you and anyone that had the pleasure of having your mom in their lives. God Bless!

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    lopevian likes this.

To all of you posting here. I love the stories about your Moms and it makes me so grateful that my Mom (& Dad) are still here at 79 and doing well. My heart goes out to all of you whose Moms are in spirit only.
    lopevian, Cootie and Debb70 like this.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

My mom passed away 9 years ago today. It seems to be getting harder for me as the years go by. Sigh
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

The most cherished treasure my parents left me were the 260+ letters Dad wrote Mom just before and during WWII. My parents were in their early 40s when they had me. So much of their life had already passed. On Dad's first birthday after he died (Mom was already in an Alzheimer's facility) I arranged the letters and started to transcribe them, and then made sense of many of the older papers and photographs they saved. I wish I had done it sooner because I had a lot of questions that Mom couldn't answer at that point. The letters were all from his point of view. They helped me understand a lot of the demons Mom had that kept her from being very happy. They also helped me get to know them when they were in their prime and still had great hopes for their futures and that of their future children. Most important lesson Mom taught me was not to trust someone who had no compassion for animals.
    Lizard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    My mom passed away 9 years ago today. It seems to be getting harder for me as the years go by. Sigh
    MsDiva2007, you are in my thoughts. I know as I get older I think differently about my mom and now that I am 13 years away from the age she was at when she died, I feel even more sad about the quality of life she had the 10 years before with the many strokes she had. My current perspective takes me by surprise when I dwell on it. I hope your day goes smoothly.
    MsDiva2007 likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    I know how you feel. It hasn't been quite that long since my mom died but time doesn't ease the pain. In some ways, it makes it worse because as the distance between when I last saw her alive and now stretches out, I long for her presence even more. Every day, I forget a little more about what she looked like, how she spoke, some of my favorite memories involving her and it hurts to feel her slipping away. Plus I have so many milestones I can't share with her. Cancer stole all of that away from me by taking her too soon.

I hope if her spirit survives somewhere, she knows how much she is missed and how much I still love her.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

My mom died 13 years ago today. I have finally gotten used to her being gone and am no longer devastated by the loss. I still think of her everyday and live a life that she would enjoy and be proud of. She remains an inspiration to me. If any of you are hurting due to the loss of a family member, don't forget to celebrate your loved one and in time you hopefully you will be feeling better. This thread was instrumental in helping me deal with the sadness that I experienced for so many years.
    Lizard likes this.

I know this is the Losing A Mom thread but 17 years ago today I lost my dad at the young age of 62. It sounds so long ago but sometimes it feels like it just happened a week ago. My mom died in January of 2006 and two of my brothers are gone...both in their 40's. It is just so weird for me to be still here when I was the youngest in the family. Now there is only myself and my oldest brother left in the family but I feel all alone because him and I never did get along. I knew it would be this way but it still hurts now that I am 50 and it seems like friends through the years have passed away.

+ Reply to Thread