+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Losing a Mom

Re: Losing a Mom

Schmoo2, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

schmoo and ariel, I'm so sorry to hear about your recent losses. I hope you know you are in our prayers. I know how comforting it is to hear how others have coped with something that I might have to face.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;2558098;
    sometimes I feel like I'm not crying enough... I miss her, but she is where she wants to be now and I am happy for her. Is that wrong?
    Yes, I'm confused, and not sure what I should be feeling.
    You are feeling exactly how you should be feeling and it would be unnatural if you didn't miss her. I am so very sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine the pain of losing a parent.

I haven't visited this thread in so long...I would like to extend my belated condolences to everyone and let you know that I mourn your losses and hope that you are surrounded by love and support.

FORT Fogey

i lost mine just about a year 1/2 ago. she was only 45. being her only child, i thought i was going to die too, it was so painful, the pain went numb (spl).

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

Schmoo2, ariel and jacobson00, you have my condolences, and you are in my thoughts and prayers. I know how badly your hearts are aching. It was 8 months on August 28th, since my Mom passed away. I hope this thread will be a comfort to you, and that it will be helpful, as it was for me. I'm a PM away for each of you, and all of you who have lost a Mom.

This is still a journey for me. I feel accepting in certain moments, and I feel I've lost my mind in other moments. This goes back and forth on a daily basis.
    Time is categorized in "moments", and eight months of them have come and gone, and I can't account for most of them, except for how they felt, and the significance they held. It's good to allow yourself plenty of time each day to grieve, and it's vital that you divert your thoughts elsewhere everyday as well.
    This can be difficult to do, because you may lose interest in just about everything. FORT's been good for me in that respect, but it also can make me sad when I see my post count has nearly doubled in 8 months, and I know why. What I don't know is what the heck I've said, where I've said it, and what "moment" I was in at the time. Especially since I barely watch TV anymore. I hope I've always been kind, and not touchy or anything.

I think my avatar sums it up. Wounded, but still enjoying chocolate. Put together, yet in pieces.

Peace and love to all.

MRD

Lopevian, my condolences on your loss as well. I think what you said is very similar to my own experiences.

My mom's birthday is next week. Sept. 11. I find that about now every year I start dreading that date, but usually on the day, I find it's not as bad as I dreaded it to be. Of course, that fact that Sept 11 is now such a huge tragic memory as well for so many doesn't help.

It has now been 8 years since I lost my dad and 6 1/2 since I lost my mom. I know its gotten easier. I still miss them. But the hurt is not with me every day anymore. And I know that I can now talk about them and have fond memories and laugh.

If I can be any help to anyone I too am a PM away.

I guess losing my 39 year old friend last year was more of a shock and harder to get over. I know that sounds strange as our family especially parents should be the hardest, but you expect somewhere deep in the recesses of your mind that you will outlive your parents. But having a friend die in his prime was hard. But one of the things that got me through my parents deaths was that both had lived long, happy lives. And the events of Sept. 11, 2001, really brought home something for me. That was the first birthday of my mom's since she passed and of course the horror of that day totally eclipsed any emotions about her I was having. In the aftermath of Sept. 11 when so many families were searching or playing back phone calls, it suddenly came to me: My mom had lived a fairly long life. I was with her when she passed. I held her hand and said I love you and goodbye and that was SO much more than so many familes got to do on that fateful day. So I think that was the real turning point for me in accepting my mom's passing. I realized that I was pretty lucky after all to have had her as long as I did and to have been with her to say goodbye.

But I can also say this with time behind me. The journey I took from that point on, the way I felt, the emotions I had, the experiences I had, brought me out of the end of it a much stronger person. I felt that I could stand on my own and I could handle pretty much anything. And I like to think that my parents would be proud of the progress I made in my own self after their deaths. Not that I wouldn't have them back. I would give anything to have them back. But I grew as a person as a result and I kind of like that person even if what made me that person was not something that was pleasant.

But losing them, losing my friend has taught me a lot. Life is short, enjoy it, don't put stuff off, live to the fullest and be the best you can be. But realize that your best changes daily, so some days my best is not always the best I can be on other days and I accept that.

And I like to think that the experiences we have in life teach us lessons and that out of bad often comes good. We may not recognize the good for a long time, but often the good does come.

My prayers and thoughts are with each of you.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2558405;
    When we lose a mom, part of our childhood goes with them. The person that knew when we took our first steps, that kept our baby teeth in an envelope in her sock drawer, that remembered how old we were when we first learned to ride a bike, has taken those memories with her. But memories are fantastic things. They keep the loved one so near and they are so easy to take out and look at anytime, anywhere.
    That is so beautifully said, MDR.

So sorry to read about the loss of your friend.

FORT Fanatic

Lopevian.....
    Never saw this thread till now so please accept my condolences on your loss. I lost both of my parents at age 17 due to a drunk driver. Although it's been more than 20 years, I still grieve for them in some way every day. I can't share good news or have an unconditional shoulder to cry on. The hardest part was not having them around when my children were born. I do take great comfort in seeing so much of both of my parents in my children. My son has my Mom's wicked sense of humor and my daughter has my Dad's sense of adventure. You will find, if you haven't already, that so many traits of your parents that once used to annoy you, have now become your own and you will take comfort in that along with your other indelible memories. Hang in there, it doesn't get easier but it does come full circle

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by lopevian;2562016;
    That is so beautifully said, MDR.

So sorry to read about the loss of your friend.
    Thank you Lopevian.

I'm a huge believer in preserving memories. I scrapbook and I literally have dozens of albums. I am constantly taking pictures, but I am so glad that I have because I now have them preserved and can take them out and look at them and remember all the wonderful people that have gone on and all the good times we had.

I really encourage everyone to take photos. In my years of scrapbooking, I've heard people say they don't like their picture taken because they are overweight or other reasons. Your family loves you if you are overweight or have buck teeth or whatever. Let them take photos of you. How you look is how they live with you and so those photos are going to be a priceless treasure someday. If you wait until you lose weight or get your teeth straigtened, then there might never be pictures. Don't be shy, don't worry about how you look. The people that love you, love you warts and all and its so nice to have a lot of photos on hand for many reasons.
    My mom was on oxygen the last few years of her life. Her face was bloated due to the steroids, but I am so glad to have pictures of her at my daughter's birthday or at Christmas. If she had said no to me taking those pictures, I'd have a real void at those occasions because it would look like she wasn't there and she was and now I treasure those photos, oxygen tank and all.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by bewty;2562423;
    Lopevian.....
    Never saw this thread till now so please accept my condolences on your loss. I lost both of my parents at age 17 due to a drunk driver. Although it's been more than 20 years, I still grieve for them in some way every day. I can't share good news or have an unconditional shoulder to cry on. The hardest part was not having them around when my children were born. I do take great comfort in seeing so much of both of my parents in my children. My son has my Mom's wicked sense of humor and my daughter has my Dad's sense of adventure. You will find, if you haven't already, that so many traits of your parents that once used to annoy you, have now become your own and you will take comfort in that along with your other indelible memories. Hang in there, it doesn't get easier but it does come full circle
    Oh bewty, my God, I am so deeply sorry to read about the loss of your parents. You were so young, I cannot even imagine how difficult that was, and continues to be, for you. My heart goes out to you, bewty. You must have strength beyond what I will ever know. Your dear parents are watching over you, and they, too, see themselves in their grandchildren, which is tremendous joy for them, I'm sure of it. It warms my heart to know seeing your parents in your children is a tremendous joy for you as well. Though it has to be a bittersweet joy, and my heart aches for you, and what you have lived and experienced. If ever you need an "unconditional shoulder", I have one right here for you. Bless you my friend, and thank you for you condolences and encouraging words.

+ Reply to Thread