+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Losing a Mom

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

Re: Losing a Mom

This funny story about my Mom came to mind today, and I wanted to share it. My Mom always wore eyebrow pencil. Due to poor eyesight, she accidently did her eyebrows up using a purple eyeliner pencil. Unaware, she proceeded to go to the bank, the Post Office, the pharmacy, the grocery store, and to her beloved Farmer's Market, where she sat and enjoyed her usual plain cake doughnut and cup of coffee. All while sporting purple eyebrows. When she was returning home, she slowed down to say hello to a neighbor, and he complimented her purple eyebrows. She looked in the rearview mirror and screamed! The neighbor told her she looked "hip, cool and cutting edge". Mom liked that, though she was still pretty embarrased. (My Mom always wore her glasses when she drove.)
    "...Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder..."

What a sweet, funny, Mom story that was Lopevian. It sure struck a chord here because my Mom always penciled her eyebrows too and I can just imagine how she'd react if she'd done the same thing. It seems to me that your Mom might have unwittingly started a fashion statement there.

I loved reading this story! Thanks Lopevian! My mom rarely wore eye makeup - she wore glasses all the time so I think that discouraged her from putting it on, plus she couldn't see to do it either...

This gave me a good laugh, too bad there wasn't a photo, but the picture in my mind from your story is crystal clear and quite charming! Ahh, Moms... gotta love them.

I'm glad you enjoyed the great purple eyebrows fiasco story Bunny and Cootie! I never saw her colorful eyebrows, but like I told her at the time, I imagined she wore it well.

Lopevian, I am in stitches. My mom also wore eyebrow pencil - she had no eyebrows - so I can definitely identify with this story.
    Your mom seems like she was a cool lady.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Glad you enjoyed the story, norealityhere! She was a cool lady. My family used to caravan to San Francisco each summer. 19 people, three vans, and two rental cars. On one trip up, we all pulled off the highway for a pitstop. I saw my Mom go into a little market. Most everyone went to the restrooms. I opted to use the restroom in an adjacent gas station from where we all parked. The door did not lock to this one commode, no stall restroom. Afterward, I ran into my Mom. She said she needed to use the restroom, and I told her to use the one I used, but I'd go with her, to watch the door. She said "don't be silly". The rest of my family joined me, and someone said, "where's Mom?". I stretched my arm out, pointed and said, "over there" at the same time a lady pushed the door wide open. Everyone saw Mom squatting a foot above the toilet, wide-eyed and jaw agape. What she saw was nearly all her family looking right at her, me pointing at her, and all of us laughing our asses off.
    Last edited by lopevian; 06-20-2009 at 12:55 AM.

I hope that last story didn't make my Mom's family look like a bunch of jerks. We were all powerless not to laugh, it was so freakin' funny. Mom laughed about it too, she was a good sport. On that same trip, about a guarter of the family got the stomach flu. When we were setting off for home, Mom bought zip lock bags for each vehical, in case someone got sick. It was a good idea, however Mom bought the ones for produce storage, the ones with holes in them! Mom was just adorable.

lopevian Those are great stories about your Mom, she sounds wonderful, thanks for sharing.

My ex Mil always wore alot of makeup and really long false eyelashes. We were at a BBQ at her house one hot southern 4th of July and she was going around visiting with everyone. We noticed that something was fluttering above her eye, on closer look we realized that her false eyelashes had come unglued and one was sticking to her eyebrow and the other was hanging on the corner of her lash, flapping everytime she blinked her eye, she kept swatting at it like it was a bug. Finally, we were able to corner her and tell her. After she got glued back together she made the comment " I wondered why everybody was smiling so big when I talked to them".

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3513379;
    lopevian Those are great stories about your Mom, she sounds wonderful, thanks for sharing.

My ex Mil always wore alot of makeup and really long false eyelashes. We were at a BBQ at her house one hot southern 4th of July and she was going around visiting with everyone. We noticed that something was fluttering above her eye, on closer look we realized that her false eyelashes had come unglued and one was sticking to her eyebrow and the other was hanging on the corner of her lash, flapping everytime she blinked her eye, she kept swatting at it like it was a bug. Finally, we were able to corner her and tell her. After she got glued back together she made the comment " I wondered why everybody was smiling so big when I talked to them".
    up How did you keep a straight face? That is too funny!!

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I absolutely LOVE all the sweet "mom" stories. Isn't it great to have experienced these silly things and being able to share them?

I'm seriously considering trying the purple eyebrows. Sounds like quite the fashion statement!

+ Reply to Thread