+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Losing a Mom

MRD

Re: Losing a Mom

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3291096;
    I stare in the mirror and notice my nose looks exactly like my mother's nose looked as she got older. The thin skin, the redness, etc. As much as I don't want to age, I find a little comfort knowing I am my mother's daughter and I look just like her. I will never forget what she looked like as I am the image of her!
    I agree about not being the person we are now without having gone through what we have. I tell people, the silly things you are upset about are nothing compared to losing a parent or a child. Feel blessed that you only need to worry about these silly things in life. I know that no matter what is thrown my way, I will make it because I made it through those incredibly awful and difficult times and nothing, and I mean nothing can compare to them.
    I found my way out of the deep dark pit. I crawled to the top and saw the light. Nothing can be as difficult as that, nothing. Once you've been to the bottom you realize you can achieve anything!

Exactly. I just told this to a friend that is getting divorced. She's lost both her parents years ago and I said: "you got through that and you'll get through this. You've proved you can". She agreed. I will say that the boost to my self confidence has been tremendous when I realized that I did indeed make it through losing my parents and grandmother in 18 months. I don't mean to sound callous, but I do think that when I realized I had survived that and could probably survive almost anything, I do think it helped my self confidence.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

misskitty, thank you for the kind words, and your thoughtfulness. You are such a big-hearted person. I wish you many, many years to come with your parents. I feel a lot of happiness for you, and perhaps a tinge of wistful envy...but just a tinge, for I know how blessed I was in the Mom department. bug, I know what you mean about the comfort that comes with seeing our Mom's in ourselves. I don't so much resemble my Mother, but we have similar mannerisms, and a similar laugh. Beyond that though, we were as different as night and day. We wouldn't have had it any other way, because we brought a lot of varied dimensions into each other's lives. I miss her input on the world. I miss worrying about her blood-pressure whenever "March Madness" was in full swing. I miss her smile. I miss her cooking. I miss her love and encouragement. I miss her advice, even the oft-times unwanted, unasked for advice. The last bit of advice she gave me was to stop thinking, and start doing. Good advice.

MRD

My wonderful Aunt passed away yesterday. She was like a second mom to me and has been there for me since my parents passed away. She died in her sleep. Her mind was sharp as a tack, but her body had been giving out on her for some time now. She was 87 years old. My mom was an only child and my father had this one sister. We've been close since I was a child. I will miss her terribly. She was funny, progressive (wouldn't watch old movies or listen to old music because that made her old. She loved all the new music that came out and I always thought that was such great fun). She had very liberal thoughts about politics and religion in a time and place where that was not done. She did things her way and was ALWAYS happy. Her sunny outlook was the most wonderful thing about her. As close as I was to her, her daughter was even closer and she is devastated.
    I will miss our hours long phone conversations and all the funny observations she had about life and people.

I tried to get a flight for the funeral which is Sat. But the funeral is in Tampa and so is the Super Bowl this weekend. I can get a flight out of Tampa on Sun., but I can't get a flight into Tampa or even close to Tampa right now.

Very sad day. The last link to my parents is now gone.

MRD. I'm sorry you lost your aunt and cannot attend the funeral.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Looks as if funeral plans may be changed and I might be able to go afterall.

To MRD and all the others here who have lost their Moms.
    My Mom died almost 35 years ago - she was way too young. There is not a day that goes by when I do not think of her and how wonderful she was. And I always stop and smile to think about how the best part of my essence is the part that still is my Mom. It always helps me make it through difficult times. She would always say to me, " if you can't believe in yourself, who can you believe in? " I take joy in all our Moms being together up there and knowing how proud of us they all are....

Good to hear you might be going mrd! Chin up and you are in my thoughts.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3294886;
    To MRD and all the others here who have lost their Moms.
    My Mom died almost 35 years ago - she was way too young. There is not a day that goes by when I do not think of her and how wonderful she was. And I always stop and smile to think about how the best part of my essence is the part that still is my Mom. It always helps me make it through difficult times. She would always say to me, " if you can't believe in yourself, who can you believe in? " I take joy in all our Moms being together up there and knowing how proud of us they all are....
    norealityhere, I loved your post, I understand your words like I wrote them myself. My mom had her faults, which I try not to emulate, but her gifts are something I treasure so much that I try to remember to honor them each day.

MRD, I am so sorry for your loss. I hope that your trip to the service goes smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3294886;
    I take joy in all our Moms being together up there and knowing how proud of us they all are....
    This made me smile. I hope they're saying nice things about us to each other. I can just see my Mom bringing up the time I tried making candles when my parents weren't home and poured hot wax down the kitchen sink.

Premium Member

I lost my mother just a little over 7 years ago. She was killed in an automobile accident. My dad just passed in October. It has been so hard you have no idea, I still cry at the drop of a hat, I just try to take things one day at a time but it still is hard.

+ Reply to Thread